Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #7981
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromer2.0 View Post
Flames fan living in Edmonton. Have lived in both cities for 15+ years each. Wife is an Oilers fan. Many of my friends are Oilers fans and will say unequivocally that the narrative on this site is exactly why Oilers fans think we're losers. Take a tour of the Oilers HF thread and you'll notice that 95% of the conversation cebtres around Oilers hockey while the majority of the conversation here centres around the Oilers. Can't we just be proud of our team and city without drawing comparisons to other teams and cities?
One general thread and a signing thread is the new "majority". You're not even good at this, why bother?
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #7982
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Flames fan living in Edmonton. Have lived in both cities for 15+ years each. Wife is an Oilers fan. Many of my friends are Oilers fans and will say unequivocally that the narrative on this site is exactly why Oilers fans think we're losers. Take a tour of the Oilers HF thread and you'll notice that 95% of the conversation cebtres around Oilers hockey while the majority of the conversation here centres around the Oilers. Can't we just be proud of our team and city without drawing comparisons to other teams and cities?
Paint chips are not edible you know that right?

Basically most of the Oiler discussions here are centered around one thread and any news that comes from the Oilers camp. News flash man, we also publish news about the Hawks signings, The Ducks signings, trades that the habs do and discuss them. That's what a hockey board is all about. I mean I know its hard to see hockey discussions, I mean most Oiler hockey discussions revolve around how hot Conner is, or how Draisaitl looks good in bicycle shorts.

As far as the Oiler fans on HF, frankly there are some good ones, and some honest ones, but there's a large group of jealous, bitter, emotionally scared fans, that have a mentally small penis after a decade of being the worst franchise in pro sports Because of that they over compensate with their bluster, with their valuation of player value, and with their very evaluation of the Oilers team.

They're delusional, and were plainly battered about the head by their siblings and parents and told about how big of a disappointment they were everyday. So you can see where the overcompensation comes from

The result is they became die hard Oiler fans with delusions that something special is happening up there and they will defend that to their death, and they get upset and emotionally wither like a 10 year old girl whenever someone insults their club.

Frankly this is a Flames site, we don't really need to go to an Oilers site to make ourselves feel better. And if those Oiler Priders or whatever they are find this site insulting, why do they come here? And why do they read it? And why do they cry about it?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #7983
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
But Oil Stain claims that Calgary and Edmonton are the exact same city, so it is a given that Edmonton is ranked 5 as well. Its fairly obvious they don't even need to rank Edmonton because Calgary and Edmonton are identical twins. If somebody claims they like Calgary, they also like Edmonton by default.

Am I doing this right?
Name a city that is more similar to Calgary than Edmonton is.

I'll wait.

When the talking points are one has a mall and a river valley and the other is closer to the mountains and is 3 degrees warmer on average in January, you are splitting some pretty fine hairs.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 08-17-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #7984
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

I'll wait.
Denver
Old 08-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #7985
marchmallow
Draft Pick

Quote:

I'll wait.
Adelaide, apparently.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #7986
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Denver
I've never been. They have a lot of Canadian Tires there?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #7987
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

@jerome [sic]
Hypocritical don't you think, when all your posts mention the Oilers. If you're not trying to justify the spelling of your name your talking Oil. I checked.
So you're either blindly hypocrite Flames fan - unlikely
Or a pathetic Oilers fan hypocriticaly posing as a Flames fan accusing us of being obsessed with the rival while actually obsessing. Kind of funny
Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #7988
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not worth it.

Last edited by JFK; 08-17-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: rough afternoon, took out some frustrations
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #7989
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll wait.

When the talking points are one has a mall and a river valley and the other is closer to the mountains and is 3 degrees warmer on average in January, you are splitting some pretty fine hairs.
Its not 3 degrees. Its the same temperature half the days and 10 degrees warmer the other half of the days. The Chinook is so important to the livability of Calgary. Basically your saying Saskatoon is only 5 C colder than Calgary. Let me tell you Saskatoon and Calgary winters are not similar.

And again day trip to the mountain is not splitting hairs. One has a world class recreation area that can be accessed via day trips and the other doesn't.

Your basically saying if a City has an Ikea its more or less the same.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #7990
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Says the person living in the crappy city. Its like Saskatoon and Regina. Saskatoon in the nicer City and bug the people of Regina about it. The people of Regina think the people of Saskatoon are losers for comparing the two cities.

Also HF doesn't have opposing fans posting in the fan specific forums for the most part and is pretty heavily moderated to prevent trolling. CP takes a different approach and isolates the trolling to specific fun threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #7991
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've never been.
not surprised
Old 08-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #7992
Alpheus
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchmallow View Post
Adelaide, apparently.
One thanks was not enough.

Bravo, good sir. Bravo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpheus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #7993
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, a ~ 30 year long Flames fan who has only ever bothered to sign up to and post 100% of the time in Oiler related topics after joining a 20-year-old Calgary Flames fan forum six months ago? Worst Flames fan ever!
Old 08-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #7994
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If Flames fans had tiers like Oiler fans do, what tier would you be?
Old 08-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #7995
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right now there are about 30 threads on the first page - and 2 of them are about the Oilers.
What makes this site great is that a myriad of hockey topics are discussed daily including those related to our biggest rival.
But even with that in mind, your claim is not just hyperbole, it is an idiotic statement. As is your attempt to pretend your a Flame fan.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #7996
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll wait.

complicated question. From what POV?
Geographically it is only logical that the cities closest to each other would be similar in terms of weather.
Are we talking culture?
Business?
Things to do?
Infrastructure?
Smell?
The quality of their hockey teams?

It has to go beyond just the easy "well they are both close to the mountains...".
Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #7997
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
complicated question. From what POV?
Geographically it is only logical that the cities closest to each other would be similar in terms of weather.
Are we talking culture?
Business?
Things to do?
Infrastructure?
Smell?
The quality of their hockey teams?

It has to go beyond just the easy "well they are both close to the mountains...".
In terms of basically everything they are pretty much the same for day to day living.

Calgary has a better location for sure.

Denver is not a great comparable for Calgary besides proximity to mountains. It has twice the pop. That means four major sports teams and way more entertainment options. Not to mention all the culture differences from being an American city.

If you want to believe Calgary and Denver share more similarities than Edmonton and Calgary, knock yourself out.

You can live in whatever reality you choose.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #7998
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Flames fan living in Edmonton. Have lived in both cities for 15+ years each.
Oh, look! "Flames fan" Jeromer2.0 is back with another serving of his especially objective admonishments to fellow fans on this site. I know that I for one can never get enough of this guy's pearls of wisdom that are so thoughtfully spelled out in his 24 posts since joining Calgary Puck on 20 Feb of this year.

Who can forget such classics as:

Quote:
As much as I hate the Oil, I don't see anyone wearing a free t-shirt to a playoff game...
Quote:
I hate the Oil as much as the next guy but some of the comments tonight are embarrassing...
Quote:
I hate the Oil but there are so many f***ing mouthbreathers on this site. The fix is in!
Quote:
Remember when we thought the Oilers were a one-man team? Team is battle tested.
Quote:
As much as I hate to see my wife devastated by the loss, the reality is the Oilers will be contenders for the next 10+ seasons--period...
Thank the Maker that Jeromer2.0 is here to remind us of two very important things on a regular basis:
1) He hates the Oilers as much as any one of us.
2) The Oilers are an amazing team of which everyone should be terrified.

Whew. Were it not for the sacrifices that Jeromer2.0 has made on our behalf—marrying an Oilers fan; staying married to an Oilers fan; living in Edmonton and being surrounded by Oilers fans—then we would never benefit from his ever-so-objective reminders about how much more awesome the Oilers are than his favourite NHL team.

Quote:
Wife is an Oilers fan. Many of my friends are Oilers fans and will say unequivocally that the narrative on this site is exactly why Oilers fans think we're losers.
Hmmm. I know, Jeromer2.0, that you are faithful to continue reminding us of this very important point—that the rest of us Flames fans are blinded by our own biases and trapped in an inferiority complex because of the unprecedented success of our rivals to the North who you seem to regard as the greatest team in NHL history—but this doesn't appear right to me. I mean, I could see your point were it not for the fact that fully MORE THAN HALF OF YOUR OWN POSTS are full blown apologetics for the Edmonton Oilers. It appears rather to me that either you are ashamed of your own fixation with the unsurpassed glory of the Edmonton Oilers, or that perhaps you yourself are not exactly who you claim to be.

I mean, for a Flames fan you have been surprisingly quiet about all of the most interesting things to befall the Flames since your join date only six short months ago:
  • You joined the very same day that Michael Stone was traded to the Flames, and yet you managed to forego participation in that fairly newsworthy event on this forum.
  • There were no posts made by you in any Flames game thread, nor pregame, nor postgame discussions.
  • You did not once participate in any Flames discussion during the playoffs.
  • You refrained from commenting on Johnny Gaudreau's receipt of the Lady Bing Trophy.
  • Once the draft rolled around there was nary a comment from you about the team's selection of exciting first rounder Jusso Valimaki, and when the team completed a block-buster trade to bolster their already impressive defence with the addition of Travis Hamonic, you were silent.
  • You remained coy with the re-signing of Michael Stone, and with the Flames changes in goal.

You did manage to add a few posts to the Spencer Foo signing thread, but even there your only point was to advocate for the amazingness of the Edmonton Oilers, and to disparage the Flames forward depth. This is actually more in line with your rather odd posting history, in which you have glowed about the Oilers regular season performance, you have staunchly defended their superiority in the playoffs, and you have reminded us all about how much better Connor McDavid is than any other player on the planet.

Don't you think it is about time you ended this charade? We get it: YOU LOVE THE EDMONTON OILERS. Loving the Oilers is not inherently a bad thing, and you will notice that there are other posters on this Board who also love the Oilers—maybe even as much as you do. We understand—Calgary Puck is the best hockey forum on the internet and you want to be a part of it. You thought that passing yourself off as an "Objective Flames Fan" would earn you a place in our great community, but you don't need to keep doing this and embarrassing yourself. While it is still embarrassing to be an Oilers fan, it is much less so to be such while not pretending to be a Flames fan.

It is time for you to come out, Jeromer2.0. Own your love for the debacle up North. Own your inner Oiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The Following 84 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
AC, Anduril, Ashasx, Azhouse, Barnet Flame, BeltlineFan, BigFlameDog, BigNumbers, BloodFetish, bubbsy, bzoo02, Calgary4LIfe, calgaryblood, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, Cappy, CaptainCrunch, ClubFlames, CroFlames, CsInMyBlood, D as in David, Demaeon, Dion, Enoch Root, Eric Vail, erikk3, FBI, FFFLife, Fire in the disco, firebird, Five-hole, Flashpoint, Green Machine, Groot, handgroen, HockeyPuck, Hockey_Ninja, Huntingwhale, ignite09, IliketoPuck, Inglewood Jack, Insufficient Funds, Iveman, jaikorven, jayswin, jkflames, Joe Nieuwendyk, JohnnyB, JohnnyTitan, Kerplunk, Lanny'sDaMan, Magnum PEI, MarchHare, marchmallow, Matata, Mazrim, mikeecho, mikephoen, MisterJoji, MoBiBu, Mony, N-E-B, Phaneufenstein, puffnstuff, redflamesfan08, Redrum, Rejean31, Rhettzky, Rubber Ducky, Samonadreau, Save Us Sutter, slybomb, smoothessence, Star-Lord, Sutter_in_law, the2bears, TheScorpion, Timbo, topfiverecords, tvp2003, vennegoor of hesselink, vilzeh, Yrebmi, zuluking
Old 08-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #7999
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did someone drop a mic around here?
Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #8000
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wife is an Oilers fan. Many of my friends are Oilers fans and will say unequivocally that the narrative on this site is exactly why Oilers fans think we're losers.
This is an interesting quote. Many of your friends think "we're losers", yet the only person comprising the "we" that they know is you. I can see where they'd draw their conclusion.

Few things if any more pathetic on this site are pretend-fans coming in and playing your game. It is *so* transparent.
Closed Thread