Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #4341
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think it was the knee on the back of his neck for an incredibly long time. As you said, it’s idiotic.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #4342
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
As for allegations of racism, I just don't see how this situation plays out the exact same way if George Floyd were a white person.
I'm not sure if that's actually true. It's impossible to know, but this would indicate that it can play out pretty much the same way.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #4343
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the end of the day, does it really ####ing matter?

The cop unnecessarily killed a black individual. As has been done for the millionth time up to that point, and a million times more in the future if this was once again swept under the rug. Who cares about the state Floyd was in? So it's okay the keep the knee on him now, and kill him because he may be high?

Give me a ####ing break. What's the motive behind thinking that if it's not to give forgiveness for a white cop killing a black man?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #4344
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Floyd is another casualty in the long war police have decided to fight against the civilians they are supposed to serve.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #4345
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Is anyone making this case? Here anyways? I don't think so but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Being high, resisting arrest, and, complaining about not being able to breathe before being put on the ground does hurt the prosecutions ability to prove intent and murder 2 though.
None of those things make it seem any less intentional.

Being high? So what? How does that impact whether it was intentional? Does being high justify 8 minutes on the neck?

Resisting arrest? Really? That was pretty light resistance, and certainly doesn't do anything to justify 8 minutes on the neck.

Complaining about not being able to breathe? You think putting a knee on someone's neck for 8 minutes after they expressed breathing trouble makes it less intentional?

Come on now. None of these things do what you think. I'm not sure Murder 2 is going to stick regardless, but none of these things hurt the case, and the last one can easily be used to improve it.

The argument is that 8 minutes on the neck makes it intentional. It's purposeful and excessive, and none of what you listed makes it less purposeful or less excessive. At a certain point during the 8 minutes, the argument is either that the officer is one of the most profoundly stupid officers around and completely ignorant of what he was doing, or that he intentionally kept the knee there until Floyd was dead, and that's Murder 2.

I'm not sure how anything in the video makes Murder 2 any more difficult than it already was. I guess it takes Murder 1 out of the question so... yay for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #4346
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think the argument is that if Floyd wasn't high, he would not have died under those circumstances. Being high caused the lack of blood flow/excited delirium kind of thing. It's idiotic. But that's what a lot of people grab on to.
I appear to be going mad as I can't find where I saw it, but this morning I heard of this term for the frist time and read that its apparently been created by Police to help justify their actions but has not actually been acknowledged by medical professionals as a thing.

Was that on CP I read that????
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #4347
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the line is all that blurry. It's awfully hard to argue negligence when someone presses their knee into a man's neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds while rejecting suggestions from fellow officers to turn him over while the man literally begs for his life.

As for allegations of racism, I just don't see how this situation plays out the exact same way if George Floyd were a white person.

And the body cam footage has not moved the needle at all for me.
Police use excessive force and kill people of all races all the time. The race related component is the rate of interactions as opposed to the death. If the interaction with a white guy went down the same way, which it does, all the time, I don't see it playing out any different.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #4348
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I appear to be going mad as I can't find where I saw it, but this morning I heard of this term for the frist time and read that its apparently been created by Police to help justify their actions but has not actually been acknowledged by medical professionals as a thing.

It wasn't "created by police", but it's something they encounter the most, due to how it manifests. There's still not a lot known about it.

Here's a decent and recent article about it

https://www.emra.org/emresident/arti...ited-delirium/
Old 08-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #4349
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Police use excessive force and kill people of all races all the time. The race related component is the rate of interactions as opposed to the death. If the interaction with a white guy went down the same way, which it does, all the time, I don't see it playing out any different.
It's also a bit of a feedback loop.

The way some black people respond to the police is affected by the higher rate of unfair treatment by the police and justice system overall.

Self-preservation is a strong natural instinct and I can understand why a black person might feel compelled to run or resist more than a white person in a similar situation.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #4350
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not sure if that's actually true. It's impossible to know, but this would indicate that it can play out pretty much the same way.

The video gives an error, but I agree with you that it is impossible to definitively know. The exact same circumstances happening in the exact same way with those significant variables at play, etc.

However, I personally believe that there was greater disregard by Chauvin for the action and attention around him because of who George Floyd was, including the color of his skin. That doesn't necessarily mean a direct, overt act of racism, but I think it illustrates a systemic problem that infects and/or is too easily manifested in police like Chauvin.

Yes, people of all races and creeds are killed/murdered by police all the time. In this specific case I believe race played a factor in the actions and result. That is just my personal opinion, and proving that in court is going to be very difficult.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 08-11-2020, 12:39 PM   #4351
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I honestly don't know which poster you're talking about. I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just what I understand to be verboten. And yeah there's a report button, but I've done that enough times and not really ever seen anything come of it.
Just to address this.
I don't know what you expect to see with regards to "not really ever seeing anything come of it". We don't tell the person reporting a post what action was taken. You can see if someone has been banned, but that's just one thing that we try not to do. There are other ways concerns are addressed.
So just because you don't see something happen, doesn't mean nothing happens.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #4352
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However, I personally believe that there was greater disregard by Chauvin for the action and attention around him because of who George Floyd was, including the color of his skin. That doesn't necessarily mean a direct, overt act of racism, but I think it illustrates a systemic problem that infects and/or is too easily manifested in police like Chauvin.

Yes, people of all races and creeds are killed/murdered by police all the time. In this specific case I believe race played a factor in the actions and result. That is just my personal opinion, and proving that in court is going to be very difficult.
My bad - here's the video properly posted.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't know how you can consider that belief to be justified. In the above video, if exactly the same things happened but the man who died happened to be black, you'd have to draw the same conclusion about racial bias contributing to a disregard for his life. That should give you at least some pause.

At the end of the day I think this is most likely correct, subject to the caveat that there are obviously going to be exceptions:
Quote:
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #4353
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

Apparently it's entered the zeitgeist since the murder.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...elirium&geo=US

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #4354
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Is anyone making this case? Here anyways? I don't think so but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Being high, resisting arrest, and, complaining about not being able to breathe before being put on the ground does hurt the prosecutions ability to prove intent and murder 2 though.
You forget that the have a personal history together. They worked at the same club together where they didn't get along . This wasn't just a random person the cop killed. Theres more to the story than just a random arrest. They had a relationship before this that IMO is a huge factor aswell.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #4355
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
You forget that the have a personal history together. They worked at the same club together where they didn't get along . This wasn't just a random person the cop killed. Theres more to the story than just a random arrest. They had a relationship before this that IMO is a huge factor aswell.
Other than them working at the same club, this is a whole lot of assumption. Has any tangible proof that they didn't get along even come out?
Old 08-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #4356
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Other than them working at the same club, this is a whole lot of assumption. Has any tangible proof that they didn't get along even come out?
The owner of the club said that it's highly unlikely they even knew each other/intereacted at all...
Old 08-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #4357
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
The owner of the club said that it's highly unlikely they even knew each other/intereacted at all...
The owner didn't say that. She said she didn't know if they did.
A co worker came out as well and said they often "bump heads"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/people....er/%3famp=true

https://www.insider.com/george-floyd...lub-job-2020-6

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...706.html%3famp

But It seems he's recanted his story.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-11-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #4358
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I've been doing some heavy scrolling so excuse me if I'm off the mark here...

Is it being insinuated that Floyd was high at the time of his murder? That could not be more irrelevant, and the attempted misdirection by even bringing this up says a lot about a person.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #4359
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I've been doing some heavy scrolling so excuse me if I'm off the mark here...

Is it being insinuated that Floyd was high at the time of his murder? That could not be more irrelevant, and the attempted misdirection by even bringing this up says a lot about a person.
No dude, once you are high you are literally a walking corpse. And corpses don't have rights.

Or that's what I gather the argument is.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #4360
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that really what you think his argument is? Honestly?
Closed Thread