Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #221
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Time to try a Lotus? I'm a big fan of analog myself, and those Evoras look pretty tempting sometimes. Although perhaps a little too analog as a daily.
I have definitely considered an Evora / S with a manual, but it took a lot of thinking and soul searching to figure out what I really want, and what I want is my old 4.7L V8 Vantage back. It's just such a damn good car. Even where it isn't (SportShift transmission, which is debatable because I liked it), a twin-plate clutch and lightweight flywheel transforms it. I saw this older gent pull up to the Garrison Woods Safeway in a well-kept black MG, and we chatted for a bit about it. He's had that car for thirty years, and that's what I think the AM V8V is to me.

So I'm working on making that happen now.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #222
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I have definitely considered an Evora / S with a manual, but it took a lot of thinking and soul searching to figure out what I really want, and what I want is my old 4.7L V8 Vantage back. It's just such a damn good car. Even where it isn't (SportShift transmission, which is debatable because I liked it), a twin-plate clutch and lightweight flywheel transforms it. I saw this older gent pull up to the Garrison Woods Safeway in a well-kept black MG, and we chatted for a bit about it. He's had that car for thirty years, and that's what I think the AM V8V is to me.

So I'm working on making that happen now.
I find a lot of the negative sentiments towards the single-clutch paddle shift cars are mostly perpetuated and amplified online by people parroting the auto journos who, let's face it, merely need something to say (aka, bitch about) - "it's rubbish" - and rarely by anyone with any real experience in them, thought I guess it's just a numbers game... very few cars relative to the number of opinions online!

I've owned several of the supposed worst offenders and have plenty of seat time in others, including a Vantage. Honestly, I've never really had a problem with any but one of them and have basically concluded that their crap reputation is mostly undeserved.

That's all to say - good for you for pursuing another Vantage and I wouldn't let the Sportshift dissuade me one bit. GL with the hunt!

Last edited by you&me; 08-06-2020 at 10:07 PM.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #223
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I find a lot of the negative sentiments towards the single-clutch paddle shift cars are mostly perpetuated and amplified online by people parroting the auto journos who, let's face it, merely need something to say (aka, bitch about) - "it's rubbish" - and rarely by anyone with any real experience in them, thought I guess it's just a numbers game... very few cars relative to the number of opinions online!

I've owned several of the supposed worst offenders and have plenty of seat time in others, including a Vantage. Honestly, I've never really had a problem with any but one of them and have basically concluded that their crap reputation is mostly undeserved.

That's all to say - good for you for pursuing another Vantage and I wouldn't let the Sportshift dissuade me one bit. GL with the hunt!
Agreed 100%, I always enjoyed my old SportShift. I think a lot of those auto journalists thought it was the same Tremec unit as in the original Vanquish -- which did get a lot of complaints from owners which is why AM Works now offers a manual retrofit.

The only thing I'll concede on the Vantage that a lot of people parrot is the 4.3L being a little sluggish. A heavy clutch and flywheel combo on that car makes the engine slow to rev, but changing that out and throwing on better manifolds will get the car to nearly 4.7L levels of performance.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #224
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Top Gears 45 minute YouTube video with Gordon Murray walking you through the process of the new car was amazing.

Everything is bespoke. Even had aircraft switch makers develop all the switches so the haptics and feel were premium yet minimalistic. The steering is still manual but assisted under 10 mph for parking. The engine he wanted to rev to 12k rpm! Insane.

The entire fan system is fascinating as it adds a crazy amount of downforce from under the car.

The way the rear opens up and the doors is amazing.

I like that he gave massive props to Pagani but pooped all over Ferrari. Called most modern supercars and their wings and ducts 80 marketing gimmick with little to no real world practical use. And strived to prove it with this car.

I honestly cannot wait for the day I get to watch Chris Harris rag this thing out on a road and track.

Cannot belive only half of the 100 production run has sold only.

But at 2.36m pounds, thats asking a lot.

Gordon Murray IMO has done it again. Making the best GT car. Doubt it will break speed records this time though, or keep any records for 15 years like the F1 did. What a mind.

Also love the fact he just Saunters in to an interview in a Hawaiian shirt and a magnum P.I mustache.

Yeah I develop the best cars, let's smoke a J and drink some.brandy about it.
Gordon Murray is genius, love his personality and overall automotive philosophy. Many do not know that when designing the F1, he used the NA1 Acura NSX as a benchmark in terms of build quality and refinement, he's a big original NSX fan.

I have to digress on the Chris Harris part, he is an overrated hack IMO. Can't stand him.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #225
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone looking to get their vehicle detailed I would recommend Detail Lab YYC. It's a local business started by a disabled man who couldn't find work as a detailer so he started his own shop. They detailed a car for a friend of mine recently and did a really good job. I'll be taking mine there in the early fall
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #226
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. The Ford Ecosport is a terrible vehicle, so many things I hate about it. Worst being the fact I am in Germany and I can barely go fast enough for the middle lane. If this thing is supposed to compete with the Rav and CRV they might as well stop production now.

2. The Scirocco is a pretty cool looking car, from the front, everytime I see one from behind, which is common with my Ecosport, I think it looks like a salamander staring at me with big red eyes.

3. Why do europeans have such a thing for deleting all their badges? So annoying trying to figure out what model to look up when you get home after seeing something cool.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:49 PM   #227
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume you have the 3 cyl 1 litre, not the 4 cyl 2 litre?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #228
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I assume you have the 3 cyl 1 litre, not the 4 cyl 2 litre?
I’ll have to check but I am pretty sure it would be the 4. It’s no beast but it’s got enough jam that I can’t imagine It’s only a 3.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #229
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
1. The Ford Ecosport is a terrible vehicle, so many things I hate about it. Worst being the fact I am in Germany and I can barely go fast enough for the middle lane. If this thing is supposed to compete with the Rav and CRV they might as well stop production now.

2. The Scirocco is a pretty cool looking car, from the front, everytime I see one from behind, which is common with my Ecosport, I think it looks like a salamander staring at me with big red eyes.

3. Why do europeans have such a thing for deleting all their badges? So annoying trying to figure out what model to look up when you get home after seeing something cool.
I like the Scirocco, too.

Funny you say that about badges. Literally just got in the house after de-decaling my F-150. Had to teach my son the ways. He's a pro with the hairdryer and goo gone now. I think it's such a clean look, but I know what you mean about making identifying some cars difficult. Must be particularly hard for you being in Europe with different models all over the place. I do love when I see a car I can't identify. It's so rare to stump a car guy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #230
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
The EcoSport would not compete against the Rav and CRV that is for the Escape/Kuga. The EcoSport competes with the smaller HRV and whatever Toyota has.

Honestly all these sub compact CUVs are dreadful. They are such a waste compared to a sub compact hatchback. No one really needs the extra ground clearance or AWD in these vehicles and it just ruins the driving ability.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-08-2020 at 06:13 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #231
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So..... I was reversing out of a parking spot and ended up backing into another vehicle. I gave the person my insurance info etc, they didn't have theirs on them so they asked me to follow them home and then I got their info from them there.

The person then said they were going to get a repair estimate and that they wanted to go under the table and not involve insurance.
It is really minor damage, amounting to a slight paint scrape near their wheel well with no visible denting and a bit of a scrape on their PVC trim around the wheel well.

Advice? should I file a police report and let insurance know? or wait until they come back to me with a repair estimate?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #232
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

If its under $2k you don't need to file a police report. It might be better to pay out of pocket depending on your deductible and whether you care if there's a claim on the vehicle's vin.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #233
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I had my truck in for some pretty involved repairs last week and it's come back a completely different truck, not in a good way. Gone is the nice smooth ride that I enjoyed with my truck, replaced by vibrations which get worse at speed and generally a rough feeling ride. Not confidence inspiring at all.

Repairs were: Engine front cover leaking, Engine oil cooler lines leaking, T-Case front output shaft seal leaking, and replace lower ball joints. As part of the repairs for the front cover leaking, they had to pull steering gear and front diff, as well as tensioner and crankshaft balancer. As part of the t-case seal replacement, they had to pull the front driveshaft. And then as part of the ball joint replacement, they had to pulls steering knuckles, etc. An alignment was done after. All this work was covered under an extended warranty I purchased when I bought the truck used 4 years ago.

I've e-mailed the service rep I dealt with to detail my complaints and requested a reply to acknowledge the e-mail for documentation purposes. They've requested that I bring the truck in so they can drive it.

I'm very much not looking forward to this process as I know it's going to be a battle on my part, but any tips or what not that anyone can suggest?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #234
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it vibrates, worse at speed something is probably out of balance. It could be something as simple as a wheel weight came off when the removed the wheels. Drive shafts sometimes need to be balanced as well, so maybe that step got missed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #235
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah I'm kind of thinking along the same lines, especially on the driveshaft front. I am hoping it's that simple.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #236
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can sometimes see where a wheel weight was just by the grime around the location, so you can take a quick look yourself(outer and inner rim). You can usually tell which corner it is coming from while driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #237
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Could be as simple as a wheel weight, but if it’s vibrating all the time it could be an issue with the driveshaft install, Debra on the U-joint preventing it from seating correctly or something. Also, just make sure you check your lugs before driving it back to the shop...you never know.

Chances are it’s a quick fix and the shop will tell you it was a wheel weight regardless me thinks.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #238
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah I drove it out to BC this past weekend and checked the lugs. They're all good.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #239
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 15 year old pickup truck, and I want to do a rear drum-to-disk brake conversion... and I'm not sure I want to actually do the work myself.

Any recommendations for shops that will do this type of work?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #240
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I have a 15 year old pickup truck, and I want to do a rear drum-to-disk brake conversion... and I'm not sure I want to actually do the work myself.

Any recommendations for shops that will do this type of work?
Out of curiosity...why?
Some people like the look, or the slightly reduced rotational weight. Others think it will improve braking performance, which on a pickup truck it won’t, unless you’re auto crossing it and worried about heat.