Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2023, 07:50 AM   #4701
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for ideas for a two-month winter getaway. Maybe someone here is renting one or has leads. Criteria: warm climate, one- or two-bedroom unit, beach within walking distance, cafes and restaurants, culture, relatively easy flights from Alberta, safe, sights within a half-day drive.

Maybe Mexico, or Costa Rica. Prefer non-U.S.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #4702
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Looking for ideas for a two-month winter getaway. Maybe someone here is renting one or has leads. Criteria: warm climate, one- or two-bedroom unit, beach within walking distance, cafes and restaurants, culture, relatively easy flights from Alberta, safe, sights within a half-day drive.

Look into Panama as well. We enjoyed our trip there a few years ago. Base out of the Panama City area and you can make trips to both oceans on either side.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2023, 11:20 AM   #4703
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, I’ll look at Panama. We’ve sailed through the canal twice so have seen both oceans but, you’re right, the country looks interesting.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #4704
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Punta Mita or Bucerias.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 02:50 PM   #4705
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any suggestions for a good data only sim to get for a Europe trip? We’ll be needing something that will work in Spain, Belgium, Netherlands and Scotland. About 14 days.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #4706
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Any suggestions for a good data only sim to get for a Europe trip? We’ll be needing something that will work in Spain, Belgium, Netherlands and Scotland. About 14 days.
Physical may be tough with UK and mainland Europe. But I’ve used wind in the past and it was good. 20 gig for like $25.

I’d go E- sim these days now though. Airalo or similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #4707
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I've use "Orange Holiday Europe Prepaid SIM" that I buy off Amazon for the past few trips. Has worked fine in all the countries you list. But I am very much looking at switching to Airolo next trip, my son is travelling with one right now and it seems to be doing the job.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2023, 07:30 PM   #4708
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

I have a 2 bed/2 bath condo beachside in Manzanillo Mexico that I rent out when Im not using it - if you do a search in the buy/sell forum for manzanillo, there should be an old post of mine - PM me if you would like more details
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucky1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 01:48 AM   #4709
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post

Last edited by STeeLy; 06-19-2023 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Double post
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:49 AM   #4710
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My last trip over to Europe, I ordered 3 UK (3 is the Mobile operator) Sim cards from Amazon (Their UK Website) and shipped it to a pick up point at Heathrow and picked it up on arrival. I think it was 16GB for about
£8-10.

Not sure if Spain would have something similar if that's where you're landing first, but it's definitely something you can look into.

Quick search seems like Movistar, Vodafone, and Yoigo in Spain all have EU and UK roaming included in their prepaid plans, prices also seem reasonable. At least 20GB of data for €10-15, all valid for 4 weeks.

Last edited by STeeLy; 06-19-2023 at 01:53 AM.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 11:25 AM   #4711
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My daughter used HolaFly, said is was very good. That was an e-sim.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:37 PM   #4712
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

First time going to Maui next month. Any suggestions for activities/restaurants, hidden gem cheap eats etc?

The one common recommendation is to book a car to get around vs Oahu where you can get away without one.
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #4713
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

People hate on the road to Hana but get an audio tour and you’ll find all sorts of gems along the way. It’s a great drive. You’re not doing it for Hana but for the drive up.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #4714
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Finding anything "cheap" will be a challenge - prices have gone up everywhere, but since everything is 'imported' there, expect things to cost a lot.

If you're staying in a condo with your own kitchen, my biggest recommendation would be to stop at Costco in Kahului (which is right as you leave the airport) to stock up on food and other necessities even before driving to your accommodations.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #4715
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Finding anything "cheap" will be a challenge - prices have gone up everywhere, but since everything is 'imported' there, expect things to cost a lot.

If you're staying in a condo with your own kitchen, my biggest recommendation would be to stop at Costco in Kahului (which is right as you leave the airport) to stock up on food and other necessities even before driving to your accommodations.
One note on Costco - Have a plan. It's very easy to go there and spend far too much time browsing/shopping instead of lounging on a beach or snorkelling. Especially when you factor in all the tantalizing booze options.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #4716
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any suggestions for an all inclusive in the Caribbean for November for a couple with an infant? Budget would be no more than $9,000 probably.

Last edited by Weitz; 06-20-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:59 AM   #4717
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
First time going to Maui next month. Any suggestions for activities/restaurants, hidden gem cheap eats etc?

The one common recommendation is to book a car to get around vs Oahu where you can get away without one.
If you are up for getting up early before sunrise, go see the sea turtles chilling on the beach here before heading out into the ocean for the day:

https://goo.gl/maps/w2gCYs79F622NqNL8
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #4718
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for an all inclusive in the Caribbean for November for a couple with an infant? Budget would be no more than $9,0000 probably.
Wow, $90,000? Will you be wearing your monocle, Billy Moneybags?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 10:53 AM   #4719
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for an all inclusive in the Caribbean for November for a couple with an infant? Budget would be no more than $9,0000 probably.
Probably Necker Island. Should still have $50k to spare.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #4720
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh wouldn’t that be nice…