Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #201
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Brookfield is definitely going taller than the Bow just because they can, but if things should go very well both of these towers could easily accommodate extra height, they are well within any shadowing restrictions right now.
Aaron, does this happen very often? Buildings going taller than initially proposed?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #202
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Aaron, does this happen very often? Buildings going taller than initially proposed?
It never seems to happen in Calgary but it has occurred in other places (including Toronto).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #203
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If past history holds true, we'll see 5-10 stories chopped off of this one, not added to it.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #204
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #205
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Brookfield is definitely going taller than the Bow just because they can, but if things should go very well both of these towers could easily accommodate extra height, they are well within any shadowing restrictions right now.
Does Brookfield have the ability to add more square footage though? Because they probably wouldn't go taller and thinner, which reduces rentable space and increases cost.

I'd be surprised if they filed to build less than the maximum allowable square footage on the site.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #206
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I wonder when/if the shadow restrictions are going to become a hindrance to growth downtown. Obviously it's a ways off if ever but you'd have to imagine as Calgary grows we'll start to see towers that dwarf The Bow as that has dwarfed the once massive, Calgary Tower.

/Random thought from someone who is fairly ignorant about these things.
I'd guess that the shadow restriction doesn't become a factor in limiting growth until all those parking lots between ninth and tenth get developed.

It would be really interesting though to see a calculation of the maximum capacity of the downtown core based on the shadow bylaw, and see how much room for growth there is, both in developing all the unused/parking lot surfaces, as well as demolishing small, unremarkable office buildings and replacing them with ones that max out their height restrictions.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #207
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Why is nearly every project in Calgary a double tower? Does it have to do with the size of the downtown blocks?

I'm always happy to see another skyscraper, but someone needs to do something more iconic than this. Its another square box and barely higher than the Bow just for bragging rights. If you're trying to top it, do so with inspiration!
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #208
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Why is nearly every project in Calgary a double tower? Does it have to do with the size of the downtown blocks?
Phasing. The developers incur less risk by building two smaller towers one at a time rather than a single bigger one that may take longer to be fully leased upon occupation. By spreading the finite demand over time, they can spread costs over time which makes financing their project more viable.

Last edited by frinkprof; 12-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #209
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Phasing. The developers incur less risk by building two smaller towers one at a time rather than a single bigger one that may take longer to be fully leased upon occupation. By spreading the finite demand over time, they can spread costs over time which makes financing their project more viable.
Is it just my own perception or is this more often in Calgary? It seems to me other cities don't have as many of these. If my perception is correct, why is this so common in Calgary?
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #210
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it just my own perception or is this more often in Calgary? It seems to me other cities don't have as many of these. If my perception is correct, why is this so common in Calgary?
I would think the amount of accountants and engineers who are used to working with only numbers and generally conservative practices, has to do something with it. There are not a lot of people here willing to take creative chances.....at least not ones with lots of money.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #211
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've heard it said that this is in part a reaction to the boom/bust nature of the O&G industry (developers not being able to count on demand for office space staying at current levels). I have no idea if that's true or a misconception.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #212
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually kinda like the twins tower theme in Calgary. Makes us feel unique.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #213
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing all of or twins (and triplets and the odd quad) have given us is a great density in the commercial core. Our skyline punches way above its weight for a city our size.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #214
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Is it just me or did the old render look better (other than not having a second tower)?

To me the notched corners have more character than the curves, and the crown looks less disproportionate...

I'm also not sure the skating rink would see much use, given that we already have Olympic Plaza.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #215
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really, IMO. I love the tapered design, and the new cladding looks better. It's like a mini, modernized John Hancock Center.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #216
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to tell without more detail shots, but I prefer the tapered rounded design too, especially wit a transparent crown.

The square box design looks cool....but mostly because it's a great rendering set against a sunset. Chances are it would be a total bore in real life.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #217
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think something like this would have been beautiful... it's in Atlanta. Or the 2nd one, going up in Toronto. Well outside the Brookfield comfort zone, but the curves would complement The Bow.

Spoiler!
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #218
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Is it just me or did the old render look better (other than not having a second tower)?

To me the notched corners have more character than the curves, and the crown looks less disproportionate...

I'm also not sure the skating rink would see much use, given that we already have Olympic Plaza.
You don't imagine how the old version would look. It was built in Toronto - Bay Adelaide Tower.

http://www.investtoronto.ca/InvestAs...ay-tower-3.jpg

I think Calgary's getting a better project than Toronto is, from the same developer.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #219
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
You don't imagine how the old version would look. It was built in Toronto - Bay Adelaide Tower.

http://www.investtoronto.ca/InvestAs...ay-tower-3.jpg

I think Calgary's getting a better project than Toronto is, from the same developer.
If they already built it, guess it makes sense to do something different.

The old Herald Square design had a better crown though, doesn't have the gaps that that one does, and no antennas. The bottom of it looks quite cool though.

Last edited by SebC; 12-02-2012 at 12:56 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #220
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sexy!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote