Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #221
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Man this update is aggressive, I don't want it now because I'm planning on updating my hardware and this upgrade is tied to your hardware. My Windows 7 isn't an OEM license but from what I'm reading it doesn't matter.

Though if I install Windows 7 on my rebuilt computer and activate it and update to Windows 10, since it is different hardware I wonder if it'll count as a different free upgrade... They make everything so difficult.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #222
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've used CC Cleaner, disk defrag, disabled several startup programs, and messed with my power options, but Windows 10 still constantly freezes. It will freeze after startup or when I leave the pc alone for an hour. Hasn't happened during usage yet.

I'm going to have to go back to 7 if I can't figure this out.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #223
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Man, wouldn't it be great if Windows actually let you know when an update failed?

That means your turn for WU deployment isn't ready yet.

Having said that, you can always just kick it off manually: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Man this update is aggressive, I don't want it now because I'm planning on updating my hardware and this upgrade is tied to your hardware. My Windows 7 isn't an OEM license but from what I'm reading it doesn't matter.

Though if I install Windows 7 on my rebuilt computer and activate it and update to Windows 10, since it is different hardware I wonder if it'll count as a different free upgrade... They make everything so difficult.
You have a year for the freebie upgrade, so I'd just hold off for the time being. Leave your reservation intact.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #224
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
That means your turn for WU deployment isn't ready yet.

Having said that, you can always just kick it off manually: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
That was the weird part, this is what I saw when I noticed it:

I'm gonna try it and see what happens.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #225
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

If you upgrade a Windows 7 retail license to 10, it will get converted to a Windows 10 OEM license, meaning it's tied to that specific hardware. So if you upgrade now and then rebuild your machine, you would need to call Microsoft to get the license transferred over, which I've heard is actually not that hard
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #226
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm loving the new Reader function on Edge. Great way to streamline all the crap/extra content on a page. It's the book icon in the top-right of the menu bar. It only activates when it knows there is an article being looked at by the user.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #227
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you upgrade a Windows 7 retail license to 10, it will get converted to a Windows 10 OEM license, meaning it's tied to that specific hardware. So if you upgrade now and then rebuild your machine, you would need to call Microsoft to get the license transferred over, which I've heard is actually not that hard
According to an article linked earlier in this thread, if you're not doing a complete replacement you should be okay.

Quote:
How does that translate to smaller hardware changes? That remains a bit of a grey area, but we've changed the hard disk in one of our Windows 10 PCs and we've been able to carry out another clean install and activate without a problem. We suspect that bigger changes - a new motherboard, for example - may scupper the activation but we've yet to confirm that this is the case.
I'm posting this from my now upgraded computer. It was quick and painless, and nothing looks out of place. It's weird watching Edge autocorrect me as I type, but the browser looks good, and my computer is noticeably smoother navigating my system than before.

EDIT: Mouse wheel scrolling is silky smooth, but if I hold down the mouse wheel to scroll, it's choppy as hell.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #228
photon

Exp:

Yeah in my case I'm probably gonna do new cpu motherboard and memory but yeah I've had to call them once before about licenses and it was pretty painless.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #229
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah in my case I'm probably gonna do new cpu motherboard and memory but yeah I've had to call them once before about licenses and it was pretty painless.
That's good to know, I'm in the same boat where I'll be looking to replace my mobo, CPU and memory before the new year but was thinking if I had to then buy a license I'd just build a new computer entirely
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #230
photon

Exp:

Guh I guess I didn't delete the update from my windows updates soon enough, it downloaded it in the background even though I didn't ask it to, now it's telling me that I can either start the update now, or schedule it for later... and the later-ist it gives me is Monday!!

And I can't close the Window. If I kill the task it comes immediately back!!

This is the most brutally invasive thing I've seen in a long time, just because I reserved my copy months and months ago doesn't mean I should have no choices now. #$%*
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #231
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I'm trying to update a Dell Optiplex 755 and it says the Core2Duo E8200 CPU doesn't support NX-bit. That's bull crap because I look up the CPU and it clearly does.

I updated the BIOS and made sure Secure-bit was enabled. Any idea what else I can try?
Found the answer to my own question. I had to disable NX-bit security in BIOS, and then the Windows 10 setup has no problems.

Very counter-intuitive.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #232
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This is the most brutally invasive thing I've seen in a long time, just because I reserved my copy months and months ago doesn't mean I should have no choices now. #$%*
It behaves exactly like malware. Seriously.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #233
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried a clean reset of windows 10 to remove everything and start from fresh. Now getting an inaccessible boot device l error whenever I try to turn it on. Won't recognize a boot drive from a disc or USB either.

$2000 brick in my office
Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #234
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tried a clean reset of windows 10 to remove everything and start from fresh. Now getting an inaccessible boot device l error whenever I try to turn it on. Won't recognize a boot drive from a disc or USB either.

$2000 brick in my office
If you can't boot from a DVD or USB, then there's some other underlying issue on your system unrelated to Windows. I'd check in your BIOS to make sure USB booting is enabled then try a fresh install from the media creation tool
Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #235
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you can't boot from a DVD or USB, then there's some other underlying issue on your system unrelated to Windows. I'd check in your BIOS to make sure USB booting is enabled then try a fresh install from the media creation tool
Tried not only changing the boot order but also forcing a USB boot. Still said it couldn't access the device.

Did some reading online and some people were having issues with booting Windows 10 from older USB's that have been used before. Supposedly buying a brand new one worked, which I don't understand since the one I used had been whipped and formatted properly, but I'm giving that a shot.

Edit: Seems to be working.

Last edited by btimbit; 08-08-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #236
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found an easy way to change my pointer to a colour that shows up in any background. Just go settings than Ease of Access. Choose mouse and I picked the largest Pointer size for these old eyes. For Pointer colour pick the one on the right of the three choices and you'll have a pointer that changes colour depending on the background. Black pointer on white background and white pointer on black background. Blue pointer on green background, etc.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #237
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
It behaves exactly like malware. Seriously.
It also acts as a torrent as it uses your computer connection to send windows10 updates to other clients.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015...eople-updates/
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #238
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
According to this Windows 10 upgrades will retain the rights of the previous Windows version. I can also confirm that my Windows 10 is retail according to the slmgr -dlv command line tool.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #239
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well this is a weird issue affecting only Firefox since upgrading to Windows 10. Certain Youtube and other streaming videos don't have audio in Firefox, even a fresh install, but do in any other browser. For example this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-ud9zhVuc) plays fine in Chrome, Edge, and IE, but in Firefox I only get video. If I change my speaker configuration in Windows from 5.1 to 2.1, that same video will play with sound in Firefox, so there seems to be something weird going on with the audio driver and Firefox in particular
Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #240
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well this is a weird issue affecting only Firefox since upgrading to Windows 10. Certain Youtube and other streaming videos don't have audio in Firefox, even a fresh install, but do in any other browser. For example this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-ud9zhVuc) plays fine in Chrome, Edge, and IE, but in Firefox I only get video. If I change my speaker configuration in Windows from 5.1 to 2.1, that same video will play with sound in Firefox, so there seems to be something weird going on with the audio driver and Firefox in particular
For what it's worth the audio from that video plays fine on my Firefox browser. The only thing I've noticed is that I'm not given a choice on my digital output for 2.1 audio, only 2.0 but I'm not sure if that was the way before Windows10 or not.