Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 0 0%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 0 0%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 0 0%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 0 0%
Dustin Wolf 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 2 0.70%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 0 0%
Illya Nikolaev 0 0%
Jakob Pelletier 40 13.99%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Martin Pospisil 0 0%
Matias Emilio Pettersen 13 4.55%
Matthew Phillips 0 0%
Milos Roman 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Oliver Kylington 224 78.32%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 7 2.45%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Kylington, due to his earning NHL time last year, and his upside, but I share the concerns some have that he may never take that big next step.

Still a big fan of Parsons and will be turning my vote that way next.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I out of the loop. Why are people so low on Pelletier?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
He’ll probably win next round. Seems normal enough to me a for a late first round pick

If you draft at 26 and that guy goes right to the top of your prospect rankings without any further play time that would be a pretty bad sign
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #24
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Valimaki, Dube and Kylington are very good and further ahead of their development. Pelletier is a fine prospect but late 1st rounder, lost to prove.

Being behind those four doesn't mean anyone is down on him
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think both Kyllington and Pelletier have the same high ceiling, but its a tough road to get to the NHL. Kyllington has progressed to where he knocking on the door where Pelletier is a few years away and anything could happen.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's got the skill, he's just still very raw and at least a few years away.

I have him 6th personally but he probably still goes top 5
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont know. 4 or 5 is likely a good spot here. If you count Kylington and Valimaki as graduated you're looking at 2nd spot for him behind Dube.

I'm twisting myself here because I want to start Nikolaev immediately after Pelletier. 1st round talent in the 3rd round.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #28
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Pelletier is that raw and that many years away. What makes him raw?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #29
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see that anyone is "low" on Pelletier. It looks to me like Pelletier is in the mix with strong prospects in the top five—the fact that the Flames first top-30 pick in two years did not make the jump right to the top of the list is actually a really good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #30
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Voted for Buzz Kylington; Pettersen goes next for me as in a re-draft he would likely go above 26 (where Pelletier was picked), and he has proven more to -date
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I dont know. 4 or 5 is likely a good spot here. If you count Kylington and Valimaki as graduated you're looking at 2nd spot for him behind Dube.

I'm twisting myself here because I want to start Nikolaev immediately after Pelletier. 1st round talent in the 3rd round.
I have got my sights set on Nikolaev after Pettersen is off the board. I was extremely happy about the Flames 2019 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #32
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

IMO there's an outside chance Pelletier makes the roster this year due to the combination of positional need and his cap hit.

I don't think it's 'likely' but if he impresses out of camp it could be a dube situation where they give him some rope to see what he does with it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #33
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with Pelletier (and any first year guy), it's a challenge to rank them because there is only one knot in the rope. There is a need to see some progression, a need to follow guys for a year or two to see how they are progressing before it becomes clear where they should slot into the hierarchy.

I have seen enough progression from Dube over the last two years to have a real good idea of how likely it is that he becomes a middle-six NHL forward. Pelletier, on the other hand...

It's the difference between a video and a photograph.

Edit: meant to quote IronMaiden
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
IMO there's an outside chance Pelletier makes the roster this year due to the combination of positional need and his cap hit.

I don't think it's 'likely' but if he impresses out of camp it could be a dube situation where they give him some rope to see what he does with it.
Agreed.

I think we see Dube and Mangiapane elevated to top 9 roles - and think that Pelletier, Phillips, (and maybe Pospisil due to his rare size/truculance/skill combo) have a shot on the 4th line.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Maybe I’m weird, but I always view these rankings in terms of permanent NHL-readiness.

1. Valimaki: An already NHL player with 1D potential.
2. Kylington: An already NHL player with top-4 potential.
3. Dube: An already NHL player with middle-6 potential.

To me, those three (and the order they’re in) was the easy part. Now it becomes much more difficult. Who’s the next most ready guy for a 1-way NHL ticket?

Anyway, just saying that’s how I’ve always voted in these polls. In my mind, a 1-way NHL contract is the “Stanley Cup” of any prospect, therefore ranking prospects in a system should be like ranking Cup favourites amongst NHL teams.
Out of curiosity only and not as a slight to any player but what is the gap, if any in your estimation, between Valimaki and Heiskanen?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Kylington has developed really nicely. He is actually fairly good defensively, as he has a really good gap control already and is very elusive against forecheckers thanks to his skating and his ability to make a really good pass. Yes, he has the occasional moment where he puts himself out of position at times, but this is more 'housekeeping' in his game than a big glaring hole, as he rarely puts himself in that situation. He just needs to work on his strength some more as it will help him out in the corners and in front of the net. He has high upside.

I am torn between Pelletier and Parsons next. Pettersen is right there for me as well.

Pelletier is so safe - unless he gets some injury or something goes off the rails for him, you can bet that he will be in the NHL at least on the third line. I think he has top-line winger potential, and perhaps even top 6 centre potential (I remember reading that he might be transitioning back to centre this upcoming season). Puts up a pile of points while being defensively sound, and has a non-stop motor that just won't quit on you. High character kid too.

Parsons has been somewhat forgotten due to his injury plagued season - bad overall season. However, even through that season he has had moments where his potential really shone. He won a Memorial Cup on a really good team. What about the following year when that team had a bunch of graduates? He took that team on his back and took that team kicking and screaming into a 2nd round game 7. He had to make 50+ saves some nights IIRC. He has elite potential. Not just starter potential, but elite starter potential. You never know with goalies, but this kid's potential is sky high.

Pettersen is just so damn slick and smart. He might have the highest offensive ceiling organizationally, and though he is small, he is really strong on his skates. This upcoming season might turn a lot more heads than last season (where he turned a lot of NHL exec's heads as they apparently tried to pry him away from the Flames).

Pelletier is the safest choice out of the bunch, and will probably vote that way tomorrow, but it is close for me. I am that high on Parsons, and Pettersen is just screaming for some well-deserved attention.
I remember Treliving reportedly saying the prospect he gets the most calls about is/(was) Brandon Hickey.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #37
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I think of Pelletier as the proverbial "Little Ball of Hate" Pat Verbeek type.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #38
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is where I think we will see a big indicator on how people pick selections. Because for myself I draft under the premise of who is most NHL ready. So realistically Lomberg would be the next choice. But he also has a very low ceiling and isn’t one of our shiny new toys so I’m going to guess Pelletier takes the next round.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #39
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the question is: which Flames prospects are worth more than 26th overall in the 2019 draft?

Personally, based on what I've seen, Kylington, Valimaki, and Dube have clearly established they are worth more than that. If we traded them for such a pick I would consider it to be a poor return value. So it's only reasonable Pelletier is behind them on most lists.

The next few - Parsons, Pettersson, Zavgorodny, Phillips, and naturally, Pelletier, are where it gets murky as none of them have established themselves as worth "more" than such a draft pick. Put another way, if these four were another team's prospecy, which of these would I be excited to trade that pick for at the present moment?

- Pelletier was ACTUALLY drafted at 26 in the 2019 draft, so that's obviously his present value.

- Parsons has star goaltender potential, and his play, whether for the Memorial Cup or for WJC Gold tells me that he comes up huge in big moments. However he has had a down year statistically (although Stockton's defensive play isn't without blame) and his value has probably dipped below that mark until he has a strong pro season to show he's for real. I'd be highly nervous trading that pick for him if he were another team's prospect, but I really like his potential.

- Pettersson had one of the most impressive 18yo seasons in the NCAA and while he didn't quite hit the elusive PPG mark by season's end, there is reason to think he has all the tools and intelligence to really be a successful pro. My biggest complaint about him is actually that he's a LHS LW, not unlike Pelletier and Gaudreau and Mangiapane and Tkachuk and apparently based on usage, Bennett and Dube although I see those two as centres, so from a Flames-centric perspective he'd have to really knock the ball out of the park to advance up the lineup

- Phillips has been rock solid at every level and has a pretty complete skillset. But he is very light and needs to get a good bit stronger to crack the lineup. The biggest question mark seems to be if the Flames are working with him on those strength areas, or letting him be. It's be unlikely he'd have much success in the NHL if he stays at his current weight as he's not exactly a Gaudreau type superstar talent, though I actually think he could be a productive middle sixer.

- Zavgorodny is an interesting one. I see that no one else is quite as high on him as I am, but there's much to like about him:

1) I felt he was the single most impressive Flames forward prospect in preseason. More than Dube or Mangiapane even, despite being 18 years old. A buzzsaw player with a very explosive offensive skillset and some real speed

2) He was one of Rimouski's better penalty killers and also had some absolutely incredible five on five metrics. There's some real two way upside here. Even if he doesn't make it as an obvious producer, he could be a Paul Byron type.

3) Early on in the year, when he was on the top powerplay and the top ES line, he started off on an absolute tear with 26 points in 15 games. Eventually he lost his role to someone else and finished the year on the second powerplay and the middle six at ES, but this seems to have more to do with the fact that Alexis Lafreniere, who plays the same position, is being touted as a clearcut first overall type in the 2020 draft.

4) Unlike Pelletier and Pettersson, he's a right handed shot, which would give him a leg up on all but Phillips in actually cracking our roster and special teams during the Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Bennett/Mangiapane/Dube/Monahan/Backlund/Jankowski "era".

The obvious knocks on him would be

1) Size. No getting around it, he's a smaller player. But so are Pelletier, Pettersson and Phillips.

2) Production. After the hot start he went ice cold. Pelletier and Pettersson seem to have the edge in production last year. I don't see this as a primarily player issue, more a team issue as Rimouski had a LOT of overage players plus the aformentioned Lafreniere. More opportunity should open up next season. And even more still, once we get him into Stockton.

3) Russian factor. I don't really think this one's big... the guy's actually training in Calgary in his offseason, even though he was too injured to participate in dev camp. Who really knows, though.

So overall I've got him ranked at the top of that second tier, just ahead of Pelletier, but I don't expect him to garner many votes other than my own.

My second tier goes

Zavgorodny
Pelletier
Phillips
Pettersson
Parsons

My third tier is the guys with huge question marks but at least one intruiging skill, who could be pretty interesting or useful NHLers if they turn out and take a big, but
necessary developmental step:

Nikolaev
Pospisil
Zagidulin
Wolf
Tuulola
Koumontzis
Schneider
Sveningsson
Lerby? (not too familiar)

And then the rest

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-10-2019 at 07:50 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #40
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kylington

Pelleteir
Phillips
Pospisil
Pettersen

Gawdin
Zavgorodniy
Parsons
Wolf

Last edited by Zoller; 07-10-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote