Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Boston St Paddy's day stag

Hi CP.

I would like to make a thread discussing the ins and outs of Boston. Recommendations for places to go, things to see, for a March stag.

We are looking at doing St Paddys day, arriving on the Friday (14th) and departing the Tuesday (18th). There is a Bruins afternoon game on the Saturday (15th), but every other day is wide open. We enjoy pubs with local beer (hoppier the better) and live music at smaller more intimate venues. And strippers.

I would appreciate any kind of tips or recommendations, but specifically music venues and pubs would be great. It's Boston, so walk down the street and see 100 pubs, but specifics are welcome. This thread is very helpful : http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104393 But less book reading and sight seeing, more black out drunkness and music. Thanks.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 09-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

http://www.dropkickmurphys.com/tour/

The Dropkick Murphys have concerts most of the week in Boston. They are apparently legendary events
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

You'll be there the weekend of the Hockey East Quarterfinals, so you could probably see Gaudreau and Arnold play at Boston College any of those nights. If you do, I highly recommend going to Mary Ann's near the BC campus after the game. It's a total dive and there's rarely anyone in there over the age of 22, but I love it. Another dive bar worth visiting is The Fours near the Garden before the Bruins game.

If you're looking to hit a strip club, you should take the train to Providence and go to the Cadillac Lounge (or Desire or the Foxy Lady - they're all infinitely better than either of the Boston clubs). It's less than an hour away and no one seems to care if you're hitting the liquor on the train as long as you've transferred it to soda bottles. If Gillies plays as well as he seems to be capable of, Providence might even have home ice for the Quarterfinals, so you could tie that in with the strip club trip too.

I think I've covered most of my other suggestions in the thread that you linked to, but I lived in Boston for a few years, so let me know if you're looking for anything else specific.

Last edited by gargamel; 09-22-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Spelled Mary Ann's wrong despite being there hundreds of times
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pack Advil and tums....sounds like the makings of an epic drunk
Old 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I would love to work in a college game, I would prefer that over the NHL game actually.

How hard would it be to get tickets for those games? Are they generally expensive/sold out?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I would love to work in a college game, I would prefer that over the NHL game actually.

How hard would it be to get tickets for those games? Are they generally expensive/sold out?
My friends routinely get tickets to college games everywhere. They never seem to be to hard to find. I have a ton of friends who went to college at Boston College, all they take about is legendary St Paddy's day celebrations. Sounds like you will have a blast.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It depends on who's playing. Regular season tickets are easy to get (other than for the Beanpot), but you shouldn't have too much trouble even for the tournament as long as it's not 2 Boston teams. Boston College vs either Northeastern or Boston University could be tougher to get, but it should be fairly cheap if you do manage.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I highly recommend doing a Sam Adams brewery tour.
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Park the car in Harvard Yard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_accent
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe this can give you some ideas...

http://drinkingmadeeasy.com/show/epi...e-easy-boston/

Last edited by DuffMan; 09-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DuffMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As mentioned above don't miss one of the Dropkick Murphy's shows, and try to stop by the pub they own; McGreevy's.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dude, you are on a stag in Boston, why would you go to a college hockey game. Hit the town, not the rink. I went to Boston this summer, and it's a great city. The North End is awesome for restaurants and bars.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loob job For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
Dude, you are on a stag in Boston, why would you go to a college hockey game. Hit the town, not the rink. I went to Boston this summer, and it's a great city. The North End is awesome for restaurants and bars.
A college hockey game would suck if you're trying to scout the players, but a group of drunken idiots cheering on Johnny Hockey before hitting the town should be a good time. Plus that puts you right down the street from the bars full of Boston College girls, which isn't a bad thing at all.

It's not like the bars in downtown Boston are all that great at 7pm anyway. If it's a 9pm game, then I agree that you're better off skipping it, but I'm pretty sure it won't be.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea that was kind of my thinking, I am going more for the atmosphere and the chance to cheer on Johnny Hockey. I think a college hockey game atmosphere would be something worth experiencing.. hockey game takes 3 hours, still have the rest of your night to party it up!

The only crappy thing is we wont know what night BC plays in the QF's until its game time. Makes it hard to buy Dropkick murphy tickets now.. and Saturday for their show is already sold out!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Hockey East Quarterfinals are best of 3 and all of the games are played at the higher ranked team's arena, so Boston College should be playing at least 2 of those nights. I'd go ahead and buy the Dropkick Murphy tickets now if I were you.

Last edited by gargamel; 09-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea we are getting a final head count and then grabbing those tickets asap this weekend. I am going to leave Fri/Sat open for the Boston College game and grab the Dropkick tickets for Sunday.. figure that they should play at least one of those two major nights.

House of Blues is right across the street from Fenway if I am understanding this correctly so we can combine the Fenway tour with the concert day to save some time. So far we are looking at 10 confirmed and a few deciding.. so not even going to try for the Bruins game as tickets will be a gong show.

Thanks everyone for the tips I will have some more questions as the date gets closer but so far the plan is coming together..
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #17
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Alright we are about 11 days out and things seem to be put together.

I've researched a lot of bars to go to, the number is just staggering so we will never hit them all... but we will sure as hell try. Any last minute suggestions on must see attractions in Boston?

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out, I appreciate all the responses here and the oodles of PM's I got as well. Very helpful and generous.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Get late night pizza from Regina Pizzeria, best pizza i've ever tasted. And i had it at dinner time so i was sober, lol.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loob job For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Even though it is named after an inferior city, I will taste this pizza. Thanks for the suggestion!