Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #761
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is Godnek intentionally obtuse or does she not know how property taxes work?

No one cares what the actual mill rate is. Because taxes are tied to asset value which you don’t immediately benefit from holding a mill rate constant is not the same as holding an income tax rate constant.

It sounds like she is trying to make the argument that We arent increasing taxes we collect by 10% because property tax went up 10% and holding the mill rate constant. Instead the mill rate is just the ratio of city revenue from property tax and city budget from property tax.

Now what should be looked at is the did the city budget go up by pop growth plus inflation which is a revenue neutral budget and did the average property tax paid go up by just inflation. (Essentially the overall mix of low and higher value properties remained constant).

Every time Godnek has a quote about property taxes the less I believe she knows how they work.

Actually EVERYONE is concerned about the mill rate.

The Mill rate is the only thing thing Council can control for residents. They have no control over assessment values. They take estimated assessment value and their upcoming budget needs then work out a rate. a municipal Council never guarentees the change to your actual tax bill -- they refer to a change to the "average " homeowner

The mill rate is what people use to compare property tax of municipality A with the property tax of Municipality B.

I make budget presentations to 4 municipalities in this part of Alberta. I have noticed that when a municipality declares their is a 0% change to the proerty tax... they are generally saying there is zero percent change to the mill rate. When a municipality announces a drop in taxes, it is a change to the mill rate. a tax. And an increase generally is an increase in the mill rate.

note: Councils love when assessment values go up so they can hold the line on the mill rate and still facilitate a budget for increased services/programs.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #762
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
Actually EVERYONE is concerned about the mill rate.

The Mill rate is the only thing thing Council can control for residents. They have no control over assessment values. They take estimated assessment value and their upcoming budget needs then work out a rate. a municipal Council never guarentees the change to your actual tax bill -- they refer to a change to the "average " homeowner

The mill rate is what people use to compare property tax of municipality A with the property tax of Municipality B.

I make budget presentations to 4 municipalities in this part of Alberta. I have noticed that when a municipality declares their is a 0% change to the proerty tax... they are generally saying there is zero percent change to the mill rate. When a municipality announces a drop in taxes, it is a change to the mill rate. a tax. And an increase generally is an increase in the mill rate.

note: Councils love when assessment values go up so they can hold the line on the mill rate and still facilitate a budget for increased services/programs.
And that is misleading. If assessments were cut in half and the mileage doubled there would be no change to taxes for a homeowner. - mill rate doesn’t matter

Comparing taxes in Vancouver and Calgary Vancouver is going to have a lower mill rate because of higher average property value. This comparison is meaningless - mill rate doesn’t matter.

In the past when the media reports on tax rates they report on increase to the average tax bill - again because mill rates don’t matter. This reporting also has flaws because their needs to be an inflationary increase every year to maintain service so a 2-3% increase in tax bill is actually a 0% increase.

Council also doesn’t set the mill rate. They aren’t allowed to run a deficit so they can set what percentage of budget comes from residential and commercial property taxes, but since they don’t control assessed value or debt mill rate is is just budget / assessed value. - no one cares about mill rate.

But if the city of Calgary just has a flat mill rate this year that is a massive tax increase even post 8% inflation.

Last edited by GGG; 07-08-2022 at 10:16 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #763
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me reading tax discussion

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 11:28 AM   #764
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

here is a cross canada comparison of property tax (rates).

https://www.nesto.ca/mortgage-basics...est-to-lowest/
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #765
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm scared for my assessment next year, the mill rate could go up by 3-5% and it would be a drop in the bucket. Houses across the street went for 40% more than my assessment value this year.... While I'm sure assessment will lag, but the uncertainty in my budget really bugs me.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #766
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
And that is misleading. If assessments were cut in half and the mileage doubled there would be no change to taxes for a homeowner. - mill rate doesn’t matter

Comparing taxes in Vancouver and Calgary Vancouver is going to have a lower mill rate because of higher average property value. This comparison is meaningless - mill rate doesn’t matter.

In the past when the media reports on tax rates they report on increase to the average tax bill - again because mill rates don’t matter. This reporting also has flaws because their needs to be an inflationary increase every year to maintain service so a 2-3% increase in tax bill is actually a 0% increase.

Council also doesn’t set the mill rate. They aren’t allowed to run a deficit so they can set what percentage of budget comes from residential and commercial property taxes, but since they don’t control assessed value or debt mill rate is is just budget / assessed value. - no one cares about mill rate.

But if the city of Calgary just has a flat mill rate this year that is a massive tax increase even post 8% inflation.
It's totally misleading, and I bet city council knows it. They speak to it purposely because this way, they can claim they didn't "increase taxes", it's just the market value of houses went up. Which makes absolutely no sense, because at the end of the day, property values are used to determine the amount of the pie to split to each household. The overall pie that city hall wants to collect from the city is still set by them. They then adjust mill rate x property values to get to the overall end target.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #767
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the rates are accurate but the calculations for the actual amounts paid on different property values don’t seem right on first glance. Admittedly I’m basing that off comparing the values of Calgary and Toronto with some quick napkin math, but what is listed doesn’t seem to be right.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #768
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I think the rates are accurate but the calculations for the actual amounts paid on different property values don’t seem right on first glance. Admittedly I’m basing that off comparing the values of Calgary and Toronto with some quick napkin math, but what is listed doesn’t seem to be right.
What would probably be more useful is what you would pay in taxes for an average 3 bedroom house, 2-bedroom condo, etc. Sure the taxes on a $500,000 home in Vancouver look really low, but that is probably a run down shack with no electricity or running water.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #769
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

for those interested in an aid to sleep...

Guide to Property Assessment and Taxation in Alberta, Government of Alberta. 2018

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/bda2...in-alberta.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #770
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you see how absolutely useless that chart is to compare which jurisdiction has the lowest taxes. All that table shows is that places with lower property values have higher mill rates.

It does not provide the information required for its headline.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:41 PM   #771
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the City of Vancouver budget, they have a pie chart showing the tax payable for a median SFH. Compared to the Calgary, there's some notable differences. Some of the water and garbage utilities are included in the property tax bill, transit funding is paid to a separate agency, and there's a regional level of government that has its own taxes.

accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #772
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Me reading tax discussion

People should be more well versed in taxes, its a major cost for most of our lives.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:40 PM   #773
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
People should be more well versed in taxes, its a major cost for most of our lives.
Nah, there's math involved
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #774
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one straddles YYC Municipal and Provincial politics, The Sprawl does an interview with Stephen Carter. He does not hold back on some of his comments, worth a read.

https://www.sprawlcalgary.com/the-st...stephen-carter
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:14 PM   #775
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This one straddles YYC Municipal and Provincial politics, The Sprawl does an interview with Stephen Carter. He does not hold back on some of his comments, worth a read.

https://www.sprawlcalgary.com/the-st...stephen-carter
Interesting article, however I cringed at "but he has helped elect the last two mayors of Calgary—both visible minorities, one the city’s first Muslim leader, the other the first woman" and almost stopped reading. Women are not a minority, they are a majority.

I know what the writer was trying to say, but deceptive (if inadvertent) verbiage is the kind of insidious distortion of concepts I especially loathe. It is functionally equivalent to the idiots who think pointing out white males are a minority means they must be oppressed.

Last edited by jammies; 07-20-2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fuzz's fault
jammies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #776
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Interesting article, however I cringed at "but he has helped elect the last two mayors of Calgary—both visible minorities, one the city’s first Muslim leader, the other the first woman" and almost stopped reading. Women ate not a minority, they are a majority.

I know what the writer was trying to say, but deceptive (if inadvertent) verbiage is the kind of insidious distortion of concepts I especially loathe. It is functionally equivalent to the idiots who think pointing out white males are a minority means they must be oppressed.

(article author)

That's just, like, your opinion man.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #777
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting article, however I cringed at "but he has helped elect the last two mayors of Calgary—both visible minorities, one the city’s first Muslim leader, the other the first woman" and almost stopped reading. Women are not a minority, they are a majority.

Ahhhh, being a woman is not what makes Jyoti Gondeck an visible minority.
Granted the sentence is a little poorly worded, but Jyoti is both a woman and a visible minority.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:29 PM   #778
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Ahhhh, being a woman is not what makes Jyoti Gondeck an visible minority.
Granted the sentence is a little poorly worded, but Jyoti is both a woman and a visible minority.
The sentence implies, to the reader who has no knowledge of Jyoti, that she is a visible minority because she is a woman. It is poorly worded, sure, but that's my point - the wording wasn't corrected when reviewing and editing most likely because the author thinks of women as a minority.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #779
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The sentence implies, to the reader who has no knowledge of Jyoti, that she is a visible minority because she is a woman. It is poorly worded, sure, but that's my point - the wording wasn't corrected when reviewing and editing most likely because the author thinks of women as a minority.
Or it could be the sentence is a list of 3 things that make the candidates unique among Calgary mayors

"both visible minorities" - this is correct they are both people of colour

"one the city’s first Muslim leader" - this is also correct, and depending on your opinion of whether or not being Muslim makes one a visible minority, is likely/at least possibly separate from that distinction

"the other the first woman" - this is also correct, and separate from her distinction as a visible minority

Looks pretty likely to me that that is a list of 3 distinct descriptions of the last 2 mayors, not one description followed by explanation of what it means for each person.

Hell, let's say he did mean Jyoti was a visible minorty because she is a woman (and not because she is actually a visible minority), in the sense of civic politics, both historically and currently, women are underrepresented which might lead some people to consider them, in terms of representation on city council, to be a visible minority.

I don't see a lot in there that is, as you call it, "Deceptive" or "insidious distortion".

But yeah, you're right, this is functionally the same as white dudes who think they are oppressed because they think they are technically a minority.

Realistically, it couldn't be further from the opposite of that, in that White men, while technically a minority, are not oppressed nor do they typically face any institutional/systematic challenges.
Women on the other hand, while technically a majority, are to some degree appressed, and do face institutional/systematic challenges.
So while it's not technically correct to refer to women as a minority, in a functional way, they often are.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 07-20-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #780
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dudes, the Carter quotes. We're getting sidetracked here.

Quote:
I can say whatever the hell I want to Sean Chu. I’m not in charge of him. There is no power imbalance between me and Sean Chu,” he says.

“Bullying requires a power relationship. I can’t bully f*&king Sonya Sharp. She’s a councillor.”
Quote:
I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, Andre,” says Carter sarcastically. “You know, don’t defend a child molester. Try not to do that. I have no problem with what I said to Andre Chabot and his defence of Sean Chu. He wants to stand on that side, I will f*#king kill him. I’ll make sure that he never gets elected again. You stand on the side of a child molester? A rapist? Give me a break.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: