Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
wingedwheel
Draft Pick

Default Does Alberta share driving records with other provinces?

I'm specifically interested in whether Alberta has an agreement with Quebec to share driving infractions.

If I got 2 tickets in Quebec (while driving with an Ontario license), will the details of the tickets be shared with the Alberta ministry? Your help is appreciated.

Details:
11 months ago I was living in Ontario and working on a project in Quebec. I was pulled over and received 2 tickets - speeding and expired insurance.
I was probably speeding and I did show an expired insurance card. But, the officer never told me about the insurance ticket, and never spoke english even when I said I do not speak french, so I didn't get the chance to show him that the up-to-date insurance card was in the glove box too, I had just grabbed the wrong one (work truck, I just showed the first card I found).
I mailed in my non-guilty plea and waited for a court date in the mail. Court date never came. Yesterday I got mail saying I had missed my court date and was found guilty by default. Now there are plenty of hoops to jumped through and lawyers to be paid in order to have the case reopened. If Alberta is not going to find out about these tickets, I'll just pay them and not worry about the insurance hit and demerits that I'll receive. I was going pretty fast... there's going to be some demerits (to be fair, it was a 70km/h zone with 4 lanes, concrete median, on/off-ramps. Looked like a 90-100 km/h zone).

Any info is appreciated!
wingedwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were over there with an Alberta license you should be good. Alberta and NWT share but that's it.

But there with an Ontario license and then wanting to get an Alberta license?.... that I don't know.

Insurance would likely pull an Ontario abstract. No idea what agreements Ontario and Quebec have about Quebec tickets showing on your Ontario record.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I traded my Manitoba license for an Alberta one about 9 years ago it was a simple matter of filling out one form and surrendering my Manitoba ID. Granted I didn't have any demerits or outstanding tickets, but I was honestly surprised by the lack of questions/process to go through.

Not sure if that helps at all, but it was was my experience when moving to Alberta.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
wingedwheel
Draft Pick

Thanks for the input, btimbit.
The more I read/hear, the worse my situation gets. In Quebec you have to be represented by a lawyer - you can't have a paralegal from Xcopper or the like represent you. This makes it all much more costly. Just to get my case reopened I must fill out a form and serve it to the judge and prosecutor. I've been quoted $800 for this. That will get me another court date if I'm lucky and I was already quoted $1400 for that service.
Already have an Alberta license/insurance, which I got before I learned I had been found guilty.
Insurance boys are gonna love it when they see that 52 km/h over the limit pop up on the abstract.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One bad ticket probably doesn't cost you $2200 insurance if you keep the rest of your record clean. So I think its a no brainer to not fight further.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

When I moved to Alberta from BC for school I was able to keep my BC plates as long as I was enrolled as a student. I also racked up more than a few speeding tickets from speed traps, since I was new to the city and was young & stupid. When I got my license switched to an AB one after graduation apparently they checked my ICBC record but it came back absolutely clean, which was quite surprising to me. I get my clean AB license and 6 months later I get a letter in the mail from ICBC saying they're going to suspend my now-defunct BC license. So apparently they do communicate with each other, but the flow of information is extremely slow
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
wingedwheel
Draft Pick

GGG, the ticket was for 52km/h over the limit. I haven't been able to find out exactly what that'll do to my insurance, but I worry it'll be substantial.
$2200 to fight it, plus lets say the reduced ticket is $250 brings it to 2450. The ticket will be on my record for 3 years, so 2450/3 =$817 / year which would be just under a 65% increase in my insurance costs. Guess I need to find out exactly how much my insurance will go up in order to assess feasibility of fighting the tix
Old 12-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedwheel View Post
I was probably speeding

I was going pretty fast... (to be fair, it was a 70km/h zone with 4 lanes, concrete median, on/off-ramps. Looked like a 90-100 km/h zone).

Insurance boys are gonna love it when they see that 52 km/h over the limit pop up on the abstract.
These three quotes in succession are quite the read...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driving , legal , quebec , ticket , traffic