Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #121
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I'm most scared of a tirefire organization like Ottawa signing him to an offer sheet. You'd think they learned their lesson with Duchene, but I have no doubt they'll be tempted to unite the Tkachuk brothers long-term.

They have 5 picks in the top 3 rounds next year (and 11 picks in the top 3 rounds over the next 2 years) so they might think they can absorb giving away a couple 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd to lock him in at an 5-year deal at $10M.
My crazy scenario: Ottawa signs Chucky to an insane offer sheet and gives up multiple firsts to do so. Flames then sign Taylor Hall in the offseason, and Flames win the next 3 1st overall picks with Ottawa's picks, all the while keeping the team at a contending level. Sign me up lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #122
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Tkachuk's value will be determined in a bubble with his peers, not matched against the contracts of his teammates.
You're kidding yourself if you think the contracts of teammates don't make it into contract negotiations.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haplo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #123
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm thinking he goes 5 years for more AAV.

7.95 x 5 or 8 x 5
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #124
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think the contracts of teammates don't make it into contract negotiations.
Deals that were signed several years ago have no bearing on a negotiation today.

I should suggest that dollar value they signed for has no bearing. Cap % likely plays into it
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #125
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

A tire fire like Ottawa signing him to an offer sheet is way better than a good team doing so. Big difference in Value between a pick in the top five versus one in the 20-31 range.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #126
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

just out of curiosity, if negotiations breakdown, would anyone consider trading Chucky?

To be clear, I am noot suggesting we trade him, but, presumably, there is a number Calgary will not go to...and if that's his ask, then we would be looking at a holdout

if that's the case, there is a chance they would look at offers for him...simply as due diligence...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #127
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
just out of curiosity, if negotiations breakdown, would anyone consider trading Chucky?

To be clear, I am noot suggesting we trade him, but, presumably, there is a number Calgary will not go to...and if that's his ask, then we would be looking at a holdout

if that's the case, there is a chance they would look at offers for him...simply as due diligence...
You'd have to look at it. The alternative is a Nylander situation. Holdout followed by stupid contract, followed by under-performance.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #128
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
I would say only if those contracts are of comparable players at comparable years.

Bringing up Gio's contract to Chucky would be laughable.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #129
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I would say only if those contracts are of comparable players at comparable years.

Yes, but I firmly believe Treliving and Sakic will bring up Gaudreu's and Mackinnon's contracts, while it's the agents who will bring up Matthews' contract.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #130
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Treliving will go there, just like in Detroit with Lidstrom's contract when dealing with guys like Datsyuk back in the day. He will also bring up Gaudreau and Monahan, maybe even Lidstrom.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #131
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Respectfully disagree entirely

Treliving absolutely makes the big Calgary Flames picture part of his messaging and negotiation strategy. He has even already said after the season about having 23 other mouths to feed

To suggest he would not do so is what is laughable
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #132
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why do you imagine Johnny makes what Johnny makes?

Tkachuk isn't as good as Johnny. He does some things better, he brings different elements to the table, but Johnny Gaudreau is a better player than Matthew Tkachuk.

Why should Tkachuk make more than Gaudreau and Giordano? Because other GMs suck at their jobs? I don't think so.

Tkachuk isn't going to miss any meals at $6.74M/year. He will be very well taken care of. He will get lockout protection, and he will be here for a long time.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #133
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

Sure, you would have to. The Blues seem like a team that would go after him hard, I wonder if they would trade Taresenko for him. Can you imagine JG feeding Taresenko pucks? Easy 50+ goal seasons.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #134
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Respectfully disagree entirely

Treliving absolutely makes the big Calgary Flames picture part of his messaging and negotiation strategy. He has even already said after the season about having 23 other mouths to feed

To suggest he would not do so is what is laughable
Oh he might do so, but it's not relevant what Gio signed for some years back when the cap was so much smaller.

If the Flames refuse to pay anyone more than Gio, they will quickly start to lose players.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #135
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
My crazy scenario: Ottawa signs Chucky to an insane offer sheet and gives up multiple firsts to do so. Flames then sign Taylor Hall in the offseason, and Flames win the next 3 1st overall picks with Ottawa's picks, all the while keeping the team at a contending level. Sign me up lol.
I may be wrong, but I think the NHL frowns upon teams signing other team's players.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #136
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

I was thinking about that the other day and with your scenario, it's really awesome.

midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:23 AM   #137
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I have a feeling that these negotiation are going to be long and drawn out and painful. MT will chase the most money on the shortest term to UFA possible. My gut tells me we'll be sitting deep into the season before he's signed

We need to bring in a strong negotiator for this one

Why the doom and gloom? I see 6-7 year, under 8m. Quote me on it. If Chucky played C it would be one thing but he is arguably the 2nd best LWer on his own team. His % of the cap won't exceed Gaudreau's IMO. They gave him a letter for a reason. I see him here really long term.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #138
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Why do you imagine Johnny makes what Johnny makes?

Tkachuk isn't as good as Johnny. He does some things better, he brings different elements to the table, but Johnny Gaudreau is a better player than Matthew Tkachuk.

Why should Tkachuk make more than Gaudreau and Giordano? Because other GMs suck at their jobs? I don't think so.

Tkachuk isn't going to miss any meals at $6.74M/year. He will be very well taken care of. He will get lockout protection, and he will be here for a long time.
Unfortunately, inflation exists & cross comparables. Chuckie at $6.74 isn't too bad because that's what he's currently worth. Matthews equation shouldn't be relevant since it's a stupid contract especially for only five years. That's a term amount on the high side to begin with.

Sure he's young but went completely MIA last round. I'd hold off on a Brinks truck payday and do a 2 or 3 year bridge contract around $6.0 -6.74$ mil.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #139
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Oh he might do so, but it's not relevant what Gio signed for some years back when the cap was so much smaller.

If the Flames refuse to pay anyone more than Gio, they will quickly start to lose players.
Nah, this exact thing was said when it was mentioned pre-Monahan and Gaudreau extensions. They’re still here, and quite affordable.

Tkachuk isn’t a game breaker, but he’s definitely an impact player. I really don’t see his contract being over $6.5
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #140
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I first thought Matthew Tkachuk would fall in line between Johnny Gaudreau ($6,750) & Sean Monahan ($6,375) But, after listening to this...

https://www.tsn.ca/video/how-should-...kachuk~1665678
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote