Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Garbage bag day

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Mark Giordano: “I wouldn’t expect big changes (this summer).”

Lisa MacGregor @lisamacgregor
Despite a rough few years being unsuccessful in the post season, #Flames captain Mark Giordano is confident that this core group can still contend for the Cup.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Mark Giordano: “I wouldn’t expect big changes (this summer).”

Lisa MacGregor @lisamacgregor
Despite a rough few years being unsuccessful in the post season, #Flames captain Mark Giordano is confident that this core group can still contend for the Cup.
To be honest he can only say that. Not to mention not even the captain will be given real consolation on the roster.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
To be honest he can only say that. Not to mention not even the captain will be given real consolation on the roster.
I think you’re right that he isn’t consulted but I would imagine he’d be given talking points so that what he says is consistent with what the GM and coach are saying.

If big changes are made in the off season (or if the GM/Coach turn around tomorrow and promise big changes) then Gio would look a little silly. I can’t imagine the organization wants to put Gio in that situation.

FWIW I don’t think the Flames have the cap flexibility to make ‘big’ changes anyway (whatever your view of ‘big’ is)
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames captain Mark Giordano says he hasn’t thought about going to World Championships or not. Says he hasn’t been asked as of yet.

Sounded like he was leaning towards no, however.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mikael Backlund confirms he won’t be going to World Championships. He and his wife are expecting their first child. #Flames
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

congratulations to the backlunds!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be shocked if Giordano said anything other than this. If he says he expects changes, everyone would get lathered up that there are issues in the locker room or making claims that Monahan/Gaudreau/Tkachuk etc. want out. It also might hurt Treliving's ability to command top value for someone he is willing to move for the right hockey deal if teams know the Flames want to shake up their core.

Even if one or both of Monahan or Gaudreau is moved in the summer, Gio doesn't look silly by saying he expects no changes, since it would be something that developed, and as others have noted, he probably wouldn't get much input until the deal is essentially done.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames alternate captain Matthew Tkachuk: “If this doesn’t motivate you, I don’t know what will.”

Matthew Tkachuk says he won’t be going to World Championships with a pending contract negotiation this summer. #Flames
Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I just realized I will be making one video this summer.

Gio deserves a video for his Norris season.
I hope once some time sets in you have change your mind about some other players as well.

It was a highly entertaining regular season.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not expecting big changes either. You are going to hear from Treliving that while the playoffs were incredibly disappointing, the team took a huge step this year and they believe the regular season results are real progress. Many teams need to learn to lose in the playoffs etc.

Will be curious what gets said about Neal. Hard to put lipstick on that pig. No doubt you will hear how they expect him to have a good summer, rest from all the hockey he has played and come back better.

Don't know if we'll hear from Neal himself though.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames LW Johnny Gaudreau is undecided on representing Team USA at worlds. Is considering it, though.

No decision from Johnny Gaudreau on World Championships. Says it’s something he’s considering, though.

Says he’s healthy coming out of the season. #Flames

Gaudreau:
“We have a good team here and if there weren’t any changes at all I’d be happy with the team we had coming back.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I just realized I will be making one video this summer.

Gio deserves a video for his Norris season.
Your call but Lindholm and Hanifin deserve year 1 videos.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard hitting questions from the local media! Seriously...skip the "who's going to the world's" banter and get on to stuff about why they were so useless.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #15
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Gaudreau asked about advice he'd have for Tkachuk in his contract talks: "I don’t know what advice I’d have for him, but try to get it done a little quicker than I did."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I'd be shocked if Giordano said anything other than this. If he says he expects changes, everyone would get lathered up that there are issues in the locker room or making claims that Monahan/Gaudreau/Tkachuk etc. want out. It also might hurt Treliving's ability to command top value for someone he is willing to move for the right hockey deal if teams know the Flames want to shake up their core.

Even if one or both of Monahan or Gaudreau is moved in the summer, Gio doesn't look silly by saying he expects no changes, since it would be something that developed, and as others have noted, he probably wouldn't get much input until the deal is essentially done.
A few people have said this, but I disagree. Giordano could easily make a statement (similar to some of the sentiment from last year) along the lines of "Nobody is happy in this room. We wanted to be better for each other and we haven't delivered. Whenever you underperform, there are going to be changes..."

If he had said the above, it would not be front page news, but would indicate something substantial. I think what he said was about as strong of an opinion as could be had on locker clean out day by a guy that does not have any real control over the outcome of the statement he made...
Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #17
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny will hit the worlds, look good because he always does (softer hockey) and all will be forgotten.

Honestly, I think we need to make a big move to solidify ourselves in the playoffs. This group clearly isn't going to do it, we don't have a "drive the line" type player in our top 6 and some teams have 2.

The only way we're going to acquire that is by trading someone big. I'm hoping for another big splash at the draft, unlikely but I hope we make a tough call that pays off like the CGY-CAR trade.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #18
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson
This quote from Matthew Tkachuk kind of says it all about a group who, for a lot of them, still lack NHL playoff (and life) experience: “Doesn’t matter what seed you are. Doesn’t matter what you did through 82 regular season games. It’s all a clean slate going in...

We knew it, going in. But once you live it, once you fail at it, you realize it more."
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #19
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio basically said he believes in this group.
He didnt want to throw anyone under the bus and thinks (or wants to portray) this group can come back with different results.

At the end of the day, that's up to management anyway so no point in him saying otherwise.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jermain Franklin @TSNJFranklin
Frolik was asked if he believed this corps has what it took to win a Stanley Cup and his hesitation said it all “... that’s a good question...” Frolik hoisted Th Cup with Chicago... #Flames

Danny Austin @DannyAustin_9
#flames forward Michael Frolik says he does believe the team needs to add bigger bodies and “meanness” if they are truly going to contend for a Stanley Cup

Michael Frolik says he’ll be representing the Czech Republic at Worlds.

Didn’t want to comment on trade speculation during the season.

Frolik is going to worlds but unsure he'll be back here: "I don’t really want to make any comments on that. We’ll see what’s going to happen this summer. I know some things were happening here. I love Calgary & if there are any changes it will be handled by my agent." He's gone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: