Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #41
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll always be a Flames fan through thick and thin. Even if they were to relocate(which I know they wont), they would still be the team I cheer for.

It is never easy though. Especially that since the 90s they are one of the bottom tier teams as far as success. Especially the post season results. Heck even in the 80s as successful as they were in the regular season' they literally only had 3 runs, although the Oilers were just a tough team to beat during that time.

Anyways I'm a flames fan regardless, however the difference is now I don't have overly high expectations so the disappointments are much less than they used to be.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #42
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
They weren't even competitive which is very disappointing.
I think that's the biggest kicker this year. If the Avs had bested them in 5 tight, close games, we'd likely be all "Well, we tried and didn't quite have the compete level."

But the Flames seemed to show up for the first game, then stopped playing. Game 3 was one of the worst games I can recall watching this year. Game 5 was listless, and had NOTHING that one would expect from a must win, do or die, season ending game.

I guess it's just a way of saying...I'm not upset with them, I'm just...disappointed in the Flames.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #43
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

We would have won the cup if we had a new building!

I blame the Canadian Airlines Saddledome!
Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #44
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I think that's the biggest kicker this year. If the Avs had bested them in 5 tight, close games, we'd likely be all "Well, we tried and didn't quite have the compete level."

But the Flames seemed to show up for the first game, then stopped playing. Game 3 was one of the worst games I can recall watching this year. Game 5 was listless, and had NOTHING that one would expect from a must win, do or die, season ending game.

I guess it's just a way of saying...I'm not upset with them, I'm just...disappointed in the Flames.
I’m actually happier they got stuffed. They’re a way better team than what they showed, so it illustrates, in a way similar to last year, that the problem is largely psychological.

Last year they were a fragile team that would crumble against adversity, old habits die hard. It's like trying to not think of a pink elephant or, “get confidence STUPID”. They need to purge this collective weakness from the team, but it’s easier said than done.

The players care more than anyone, but they didn’t execute, they lost confidence & they lost synergy.

Good on Colorado for rolling with their advantages & dictating the pace of play.

The officiating was atrocious, but it’s adversity the Flames need to overcome and learn from. Gaudreau's coincidental or non-calls on getting water skied going to the net were stark in contrast to the “hooking” penalty Mackinnon drew for the 5 on 3 to kick off the beat down in game 3.

There is a lesson in there. Yeah it was BS, and maybe I missed something, but throughout the year I don’t recall himself (on or off the ice), any fans, media, or team personnel railing against how Mackinnon was abused by the opposition, the dude just goes out and plays.

Gaudreau needs to mature into this perspective to take his game to the next level. He was dynamite at the start of the series, he was stripping pucks, back checking and playing like Datsyuk... then by hook or by crook they all lost confidence.

Yeah their confidence was infected by the officiating, but they needed to have the mental fortitude to overcome it and play with a consistent level of attention detail that playoff hockey rewards.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #45
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think there are a bunch of babies in this thread. Being a Flames fan seems tough, but it's not THAT bad.

Think of how many franchises have had it way worse than us:
-Toronto...self explanatory (Sure they have hope right now, maybe just until 8PM tonight)
-San Jose...perenially in the playoffs and near the top of regular season standings
-Columbus (until maybe this year...took 19 years to get past the 1st round)
-St. Louis...this franchise chokes hard..I hope they win this year...
-Buffalo...no Stanley Cups, just an pseudo Stanley Cup like we got in '04

List can go on...

IMO, since moving to Calgary we have:

Stanley Cup .... rebuild .... Stanley Cup game 7 loss... rebuild ...today

Future looks pretty bright for us and anything can happen. We're short experience and a couple pieces.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #46
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Sabres don't have that pseudo cup. Flames are a couple minutes away from winning it all if Gelina's goal counts.

If Hull's goal doesn't count, then the Sabres still need to get the next goal in OT and then win the next game. At best that's a 25% chance...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #47
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On a related note, the fact that Ken King is still employed, let alone as President and CEO, embodies everything this is wrong with this organization.

Guy has been a complete and utter failure at everything he has touched, from hockey ops to the new arena and at least in my experience has been an arrogant prick to top it off.

But yet ownership keeps him around year after year, similar to the OBC up north in Edmonton.

Success starts at the top and therefore it's no wonder the Flames have been chasing their tails for the better part of the last 30 years.
home_sweet_dome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #48
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Sabres don't have that pseudo cup. Flames are a couple minutes away from winning it all if Gelina's goal counts.

If Hull's goal doesn't count, then the Sabres still need to get the next goal in OT and then win the next game. At best that's a 25% chance...
Sure, nothing was guaranteed in either case and the Flames were a lot closer. Point is they got burned in the finals as well and have no cups period. We got it better than Sabres fans and many other franchise fans
Old 04-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #49
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
I think there are a bunch of babies in this thread. Being a Flames fan seems tough, but it's not THAT bad.

Think of how many franchises have had it way worse than us:
-Toronto...self explanatory (Sure they have hope right now, maybe just until 8PM tonight)
-San Jose...perenially in the playoffs and near the top of regular season standings
-Columbus (until maybe this year...took 19 years to get past the 1st round)
-St. Louis...this franchise chokes hard..I hope they win this year...

List can go on...

IMO, since moving to Calgary we have:

Stanley Cup .... rebuild .... Stanley Cup game 7 loss... rebuild ...today

Future looks pretty bright for us and anything can happen. We're short experience and a couple pieces.
Way to set your standards high!
We're not the worst franchise in the NHL, therefore things are ok!

As I said earlier in this thread, an acceptance of being mediocre is too common around this organization at all levels.
Sadly, there's something in Calgary water too.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #50
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Way to set your standards high!
We're not the worst franchise in the NHL, therefore things are ok!

As I said earlier in this thread, an acceptance of being mediocre is too common around this organization at all levels.
Sadly, there's something in Calgary water too.
You’re right we should always be striving to do better as an organization, but these overly emotional threads about how hard it is to be a Flames fan and folks questioning if they can even watch the team anymore etc...
Old 04-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

With 32 teams, you should not really expect more than 1-3 Championships in your life-time.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #52
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i would prefer they do well, but since i have no input on the team's construction and can't lace them up and try to make a difference myself, i'll just remember we are watching millionaire teenager slap a peice of rubber around with sticks and move on with my life until october where i will revel in their victories and feel fleeting sadness when they lose
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #53
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
With 32 teams, you should not really expect more than 1-3 Championships in your life-time.

You are telling us to think rationally about watching 18 millionaires vs another 18 millionaires chase a puck around on ice?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #54
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just don't think there's enough pressure from the fans and media to put some heat on the management/ownership.

the flames had the second best record in franchise history, multiple players with career years and going out in 5 against the 2nd wild card team. If that had happen in markets like Tor/Mtl/Van, there would be rage all over the radio stations/message boards lol.

I think the only way to stop the mediocrity is if the arena starts seeing some empty seats and boos in the crowd.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #55
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many first round wins? Is 3 in 30 years about right?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #56
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames are the least successful playoff team in the entire NHL over the last thirty years, which really says a lot.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #57
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
I just don't think there's enough pressure from the fans and media to put some heat on the management/ownership.

the flames had the second best record in franchise history, multiple players with career years and going out in 5 against the 2nd wild card team. If that had happen in markets like Tor/Mtl/Van, there would be rage all over the radio stations/message boards lol.

I think the only way to stop the mediocrity is if the arena starts seeing some empty seats and boos in the crowd.
how has this gone in oilerville, toronto, montreal and vancouver?

i would take the exact opposite take as you. i think the fact that canadian markets are so rabidly passionate about their teams, it almost makes it impossible to properly rebuild because everyone's expectations are too high and they want things fixed TODAY, and if its not fixed today, then cycle out the management team who started to implement a plan and replace them with someone who will fix it(and they wont, and the cycle continues as the franchise becomes mired in mediocrity)

its my belief that to become an nhl executive, any amount of "pressure" you think paying fans booing adds is dwarfed by an incomprehensible margin by the internal pressure they feel to make the team better
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #58
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This team has the fewest playoff series wins in the NHL over the past 3 decades. You're right, my expectations are clearly out of whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
how has this gone in oilerville, toronto, montreal and vancouver?

i would take the exact opposite take as you. i think the fact that canadian markets are so rabidly passionate about their teams, it almost makes it impossible to properly rebuild because everyone's expectations are too high and they want things fixed TODAY, and if its not fixed today, then cycle out the management team who started to implement a plan and replace them with someone who will fix it(and they wont, and the cycle continues as the franchise becomes mired in mediocrity)
Decent point. But if the team scouts, drafts, and manages well enough, a rebuilding team won't take that long to become a contending team. 4-5 years at the most. Are the Flames a contender right now? I would say no. The 107 pts has a lot to do with Rittich catching fire in the first half of the season, and a relatively weak western conference this year (not to mention injuries to other teams in the west). The Avs really exposed this team, to say the least.

Last edited by Mathgod; 04-23-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #59
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post

No they sell or relocate

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #60
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said this in the game 5 PGT, but I guess it's more applicable here: This is the 7th consecutive series the Flames have lost when having home ice in the series (all first round)..in 4 of those series, they went into it as the (regular season) division champions.

7 STRAIGHT series losses where you had home ice? How is that even possible??
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post: