Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, talk about a guy not fitting into a system. Can't believe that James Neal can fall of a cliff like this. Have to think the sheer amount of hockey he has played in the last 3+ years has burned him out. Too bad. Because last years Neal on this team might have saved this series.

Instead were watching flatliners.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #22
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaskal View Post
can't shoot worth a damn, can't hold onto pucks, can't make plays, no hustle, no salt & vinegar on the backcheck.

He should have been launched into the sun after about game 20 of the regular season.

Fixed it for you.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #23
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when he had 2 good games and we proclaimed him reborn and the savior of the playoffs?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #24
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I think BT has to stray away from giving big money to UFA's that are pushing, or over 30 from now on. Each one has blown up in his face.
The worst part is they get worse in every way:

- Sign a 29yo Raymond for 3yrs at $3.15mill
- Sign a 30yo Brouwer for 4yrs at $4.5mill
- Sign a 31yo Neal for 5yrs at $5.75mill

The only thing that was theoretically better is Neal was a proven top 6 forward whereas the other two were 3rd liners.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #25
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Just 4 more years to go!

If The Flames ate half of his salary, he’d be a nice fit in AZ
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #26
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, I'll admit, I thought Neal was a really good signing, I thought a more physical, larger winger was the perfect addition and I was pretty excited when it was announced.

Didn't click right away, and you could come up with reasons - long season, new system, new linemates, etc, but ... damn I dunno, he just looks slow and disinterested.

Pathetic year, and now just an albatross of a contract. Not Lucic bad, but bad. And enough of these overpay/underdeliver contracts makes it so you can't get better.

Is it Neal's fault the Flames are down in this series? No. They've sucked as a group, really. But he hasn't done anything good, and I'm glad to see Czar (or Winnie the Pooh, or Gumby, or...) in his place.

A big miss by Treliving here, but you can hardly blame him for signing Neal, who has always been a big strong 20 goal guy, I mean... whaddya do?
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #27
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
... whaddya do?
Convince Seattle to take him
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Well, I'll admit, I thought Neal was a really good signing, I thought a more physical, larger winger was the perfect addition and I was pretty excited when it was announced.

Didn't click right away, and you could come up with reasons - long season, new system, new linemates, etc, but ... damn I dunno, he just looks slow and disinterested.

Pathetic year, and now just an albatross of a contract. Not Lucic bad, but bad. And enough of these overpay/underdeliver contracts makes it so you can't get better.

Is it Neal's fault the Flames are down in this series? No. They've sucked as a group, really. But he hasn't done anything good, and I'm glad to see Czar (or Winnie the Pooh, or Gumby, or...) in his place.

A big miss by Treliving here, but you can hardly blame him for signing Neal, who has always been a big strong 20 goal guy, I mean... whaddya do?
Same here. I liked the signing at the time.

A complete drop off like this is completely unpredictable and unlikely. It gives me some hope that maybe he can rebound next year. But it’s like he isn’t even the same player anymore. He is doing none of the things he did that made him successful everywhere else he played.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #29
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Flames win game 4 without Neal in the line up.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #30
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think you dont risk signing a historically average skating 31yo winger for 5yrs when the league is getting younger and faster.

I did not like the signing. I didnt really like Ryan either but have changed my mind about that one.

Neal just made me feel the exact same way I felt when they signed Raymond and Brouwer.

Treliving, you have done wonders at drafting, trading, signing RFA's and finding some free Euro talent... please stop signing guys, to 3+ year deals for big $, you expect to play in your top 6 when they are 30+ years old.

It is pretty risky and its proved 3 times over to not work out here.

Retain salary and trade him.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #31
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Neal scatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
The worst part is they get worse in every way:

- Sign a 29yo Raymond for 3yrs at $3.15mill

- Sign a 30yo Brouwer for 4yrs at $4.5mill

- Sign a 31yo Neal for 5yrs at $5.75mill

The only thing that was theoretically better is Neal was a proven top 6 forward whereas the other two were 3rd liners.

Flames just need to stay away from support wingers who can’t drive play or leech off of their linemates. I remember wanting David Perron instead of James Neal because he was the considerably better driver of play.

Well now...it looks to be the case and it’s not even close. Thought Neal would at least get to the double digit mark playing with Gaudreau. What a disaster of a signing. The Pro scouts on this team need to be re-evaluated big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #32
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha
I took Neal as my last player in playoff pool, because...”I heard he is a beast in the playoffs”
No wonder I’m in last place
Old 04-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #33
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1119334855878295553

Jägr still doing his thing over in the Czech league. I was a big Neal supporter, one of the people that preached patience but yeah he's been terrible and this change should have happened much sooner.
Beautiful.

Flames should have brought back Jagr at the deadline.

He would have given Johnny the leadership and advice he needs. (Compare Panarin who cut his teeth on a team with Kane and Toews to Johnny who basically had, um, Hudler? Brouwer?)

I’m not even joking. He was a +7 last year, trying to play through conditioning issues and the lower body injury. He has that quote about people getting to the wrong place quickly.

As long as the Flames gave any ice time to Neal, it would have been multi fold more constructive giving it to Jagr
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #34
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Thank god.

Neal should have been dropped from the lineup after game 2.

Nothing we can do but hold out hope that he experiences a Dustin Brown-esque renaissance next year. But overall, this contract looks like it will be a disaster for all five years.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #35
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Dude doesn’t even deserve an r.
Was Dave Scatchard ever scatched?

Come to think of it, Dave Scatchard might even be an upgrade on the not-so-real-deal Neal.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #36
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Neal Scratched

Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #37
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Radio guys (Leslie?) talking about how this sends a message about accountability and should get a response.

This is an elimination game. This is not about messages and if it is, heaven help them.

I assume it’s about icing the best 20 players.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #38
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
That is bold. If we happen to win tonight then Sunday's lineup likely doesn't change. And if we lose....
It may not change for Tuesday either... but..

And I agree, the cliches about accountability and statements are media talking points, nothing more.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #39
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I think BT has to stray away from giving big money to UFA's that are pushing, or over 30 from now on. Each one has blown up in his face.
I don't know why GMs continue to sign these sorts of players. It almost always blows up in their face. Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Brouwer, Neal. I know the NHL is a very conservative league, and it takes a long time for coaches and managers to adapt to change. But you are dead in the water in today's NHL if you can't skate. Shot velocity also drops at 30. And the drop-offs are usually sudden and permanent. Character and grit don't matter if everyone else on the ice is blowing past you and your wrist shot has become a muffin.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-19-2019 at 06:19 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #40
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Let's just hope there is something to change or not change for Tuesday!!
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote