Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames Good Read Cujo talks about his childhood

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...od-in-new-book

"n his recently released book, CuJo: The Untold Story Of My Life On And Off The ice, he opens up about a dark and troubled childhood surrounded by drug abuse, neglect and hopelessness.

He was born to unwed, teenage parents who gave him up to Jeanne Joseph, a nurse at the hospital, and her husband Harold. He was raised in a North Toronto mental institution run by his new parents — his adoptive mother was an unstable drug addict — where he survived on scraps and slept on a pee-stained mattress in a corner."
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fastpuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uplifting Friday morning read... That is horrible.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started playing hockey in Grade 4. Thats 9 years old. Its no Ferland starting at 12 or whenever he did but wow, that is pure natural talent to be able to make it to the Show, when other kids have been skating for 4 to 5 years already
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I listened to Cujo talk about his childhood on the radio yesterday. I had no idea he had such a hard upbringing. It made me have new found respect for him, that's for sure. Good on him for being able to persevere through it all and become such a successful person. Guy deserves everything he has.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've read some of the book and a really interesting part talks about the 04 series against the Flames where he actually played with a broken jaw (and played well!). He was x-rayed but they came back negative. It was missed because even though he was hit on the side, the crack happened right down the middle of his jaw.

He talks about word getting out on the other side which led to Ville Nieminen giving him a headshot at one point in the series. He also mentions that say whatever you want about Iginla, Gelinas, Conroy, etc. the reason the Flames made it as far as they did in 04 was Kiprusoff.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd agree with that. No single player can impact the outcome of a game as much as a goaltender.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Cujo was my 2nd favourite goalie growing up, and he only ever played for teams I hated. When he played that season in Calgary it was a dream come true.

When I was a kid I was in a summer hockey school run by NHLers in Ontario and Cujo had his kid in it the school. I was talking to another goalie, and he tells me he is friends with Cujos kid. He had all this brand new amazing gear, said Cujo bought it all for him.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I listened to Cujo talk about his childhood on the radio yesterday. I had no idea he had such a hard upbringing. It made me have new found respect for him, that's for sure. Good on him for being able to persevere through it all and become such a successful person. Guy deserves everything he has.
Yes. And then persevered through being in Edmonton, too.

I was going to say living in Edmonton, but is that really living?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote