Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #61
drtory
Talk To My Agent

Exp:

My first impression of him was terrible... but I do a mean Swedish Chef!
drtory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #62
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtory View Post
... but I do a mean Swedish Chef!
Why???
Old 10-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #63
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Gonna take about 40 games before I make any sort of decision of how I feel about Bill Peters as an NHL coach. First impression? I think the team appears to have more aggression and I like that. Beyond that? Gonna have to wait and see.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #64
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I think he knows his stuff and he's got that facetious tone of one Darryl Sutter when he's answering questions from the media .
I just hope the players see things on his level and really hope they buy in .
I already dislike his love of Ryan and watching 2 players get less minutes in Jankowski and Bennett.
Hopefully those 2 can get going and force Ryan down a line or 2 .
Outside of that he seems prepared and willing to change things when they don't work.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #65
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far I'm liking him as the head coach of the Calgary Flames.

For starters, he definitely has that 'head coach' charisma. He exudes that kind of gruff collegiate-level coach that goes by meritocracy. When you see your head coach skating around in practice huffing like a bear and pouring sweat off his face, as a player you'd be thinking "Damn, I'd better not get outworked by this guy".

Another thing is adjustments. Before with Gulutzan, he'd be content to try and let lines work through cold streaks on their own. Whereas with Peters, he'd go "Square peg, round hole. Let's try something else." Drop pass entry not working? Let's have a look and try something else.

As was pointed out earlier, it would be a totally Gulutzan thing to do to stick with the same lines because, "Hey, they won the last game". It's very refreshing to see Peters, on a game to game basis, try his utmost to keep everyone alert and focused. Bennett, who has been fairly unspectacular but with good underlying numbers, is now promoted. Ryan, who has been alright but not contributing outside of strong-side faceoffs, is now demoted. Janko, who has been largely unproductive, is probably getting a benching. Nashville has one employed dirty rat scumbag in Rinaldo and a middleweight face-puncher in Bitetto, so that's my guess to why we are seeing Peluso in line rushes.

But these are coming by a game to game basis regardless of win or lose. Peters will not be satisfied with anything less than the best version of the Calgary Flames.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #66
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I do like some of his adjustments as he goes along, so far.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #67
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far he has looked competent even if there are things I disagree with, not unlike Hartley.

Glen Gulutzan was incompetent so this is a huge step up.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #68
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great use of that timeout. Really seemed to calm the team down.

Flames are playing at a much higher pace than last year. It's very entertaining to watch

This is much better hockey

I Bill-ieve
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #69
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

A lot of my fears of hiring one of Treliving's guys instead of going for a proven, winning coach have been alleviated. Bill Peters knows how to properly coach a team, I'm confident in that now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #70
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big Bill Peters is awesome
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #71
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite part about Bill Peters so far is his lack of ambivalence. He's clear, he's direct, and he knows where the problems are.

I like him.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #72
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

He uses his timeouts, mixes up lines, and dresses and scratches players based on merit already 5 games in.

Better than all of Gulutzan's tenure.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 3-2 record isn't setting the world on fire but I am pleasantly surprised with him as he's all business. The benching of Frolik was long overdue and it only took him four games to catch on to a player on the decline which shows me he's got a good read on these players and is not going to play favourites with anyone. You get the feeling if Brouwer was still on this roster he wouldn't get 40 games in and that's the way it should be.

So far he's done everything right that Gulutzan got wrong and that's a great start as they would have never won that game last night under the previous coaching staff.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #74
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A 3-2 record isn't setting the world on fire but I am pleasantly surprised with him as he's all business. The benching of Frolik was long overdue and it only took him four games to catch on to a player on the decline which shows me he's got a good read on these players and is not going to play favourites with anyone. You get the feeling if Brouwer was still on this roster he wouldn't get 40 games in and that's the way it should be.

So far he's done everything right that Gulutzan got wrong and that's a great start as they would have never won that game last night under the previous coaching staff.
Frolik is a pretty solid player game in and game out defensively. His offence is waning for sure. But I don't think he was sat for being a player on the decline. He was sat for two lazy stick penalties.

The distinction to me is important because this isn't a guy that will put up with a lack of discipline. Or maybe more specifically, if you're game is interchangable with others you had better not have something like lazy penalties against you.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #75
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
He uses his timeouts, mixes up lines, and dresses and scratches players based on merit already 5 games in.

Five games into Gulutzan's tenure we were still praying we wouldn't see his ol' buddy from Dallas, Grossmann, ever again (we did, to predictable results).

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #76
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Frolik is a pretty solid player game in and game out defensively. His offence is waning for sure. But I don't think he was sat for being a player on the decline. He was sat for two lazy stick penalties.

The distinction to me is important because this isn't a guy that will put up with a lack of discipline. Or maybe more specifically, if you're game is interchangable with others you had better not have something like lazy penalties against you.
He also made some cringe inducing turnovers trying to 'make plays' in the neutral zone/at the bluelines. He really #### the bed at least twice in his defensive coverage that cost the flames goals.

More than just penalties in my mind, those are the icing on the cake.

Even though he has a goal, he has warranted a scratch. It just happens that the flames have 2 or 3 guys waiting in the wings who can actually play now which makes the decision for Peters much easier.

If jankowski keeps skating the way he has (tracking down Girard on the PK coming out of the the avs end) he will make it hard for Peters to take him out in favour of frolik.

Seems like jankos attitude really benefits from a reality check periodically. Not that he has a bad attitude but he's a little happy go lucky. Much better player when he is working hard.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #77
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Five games into Gulutzan's tenure we were still praying we wouldn't see his ol' buddy from Dallas, Grossmann, ever again (we did, to predictable results).
The blessings of not having to sign a bunch of ptos just to fill out the roster.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #78
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know if Peters is the type of guy who'd talk to his players after every game? 'Coz Gulutzan wasn't.
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 PM   #79
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
Does anyone know if Peters is the type of guy who'd talk to his players after every game? 'Coz Gulutzan wasn't.

I got the impression from an interview that he went into the room after the first period on Saturday, so yes seems more engaged
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 AM   #80
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

What about beers on the train and Jobu though
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote