Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #41
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
It’s the same game. Hockey I believe it’s called. The question is whether he will rise to the occasion and can match or exceed the intensity of his opponents. Which, I don’t think there is enough data to determine at this point.
i don't believe it's the same game, and that's fine, we disagree on that.

you may not feel there is enough data, but based on the hockey that i've watched, i feel fine making that statement.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #42
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Personally, I think a playoff goal to tie it in the final seconds against the Ducks is a pretty damn good video to show in a debate like this.
sure, it's 1 goal (25% of his career playoff goals) to help support his belief.

i'm not sold on his one piece of evidence.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
every player is different, i'm talking about johnny, not pavel. different player, different style, different era.
I was simply giving one example. There are lots of players that get written off after a couple years of unproductive playoffs. It doesn't mean they will never produce.

Also, if anything, 'different era' is more favourable to Gaudreau, not less - the league gets less physical every year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:10 PM   #44
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be fair - is there really any argument that the game changes in the playoffs? The intensity, the way it's called especially? And is there any argument that those changes would tend not to benefit smaller, skilled players? That's something many of us - myself included - complain about all the time.

I certainly don't think there's been enough data to judge Gaudreau's playoff performance on, though. In the three series he's played in, the first two were on a bad team that probably shouldn't have made the postseason, and the third was completely overmatched. I want to see him on a team that's a real contender, or at least not an also-ran. Then I'll judge.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Let's be fair - is there really any argument that the game changes in the playoffs? The intensity, the way it's called especially? And is there any argument that those changes would tend not to benefit smaller, skilled players? That's something many of us - myself included - complain about all the time.

I certainly don't think there's been enough data to judge Gaudreau's playoff performance on, though. In the three series he's played in, the first two were on a bad team that probably shouldn't have made the postseason, and the third was completely overmatched. I want to see him on a team that's a real contender, or at least not an also-ran. Then I'll judge.
Of course it cranks up, and of course it is more physical. But guys adjust - guys of all sizes. It isn't about the size of the player, it's about the fight in the player.

And I think Johnny has a lot of fight in him.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #46
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Also, if anything, 'different era' is more favourable to Gaudreau, not less - the league gets less physical every year.
less physical every year? look at the route out of our division; anaheim, los angeles & san jose. all big physical teams that have been leading our division since the re-alignment in 13-14.

maybe it's as physical, but i think its a stretch to say it less physical now.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #47
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Of course it cranks up, and of course it is more physical. But some guys adjust - guys of all sizes. It isn't about the size of the player, it's about the fight in the player.

And I think Johnny has a lot of fight in him.
fixed for you.

yes, i agree, johnny has a lot of fight in him. johnny with all the fight in the world versus brent burns in a board battle, who comes out with the puck?

Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #48
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it’s pretty universally accepted that the game is less physical now. More awareness of concussions, along with the elimination of clutching and grabbing- skilled players have more room to operate now than they ever have.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
less physical every year? look at the route out of our division; anaheim, los angeles & san jose. all big physical teams that have been leading our division since the re-alignment in 13-14.

maybe it's as physical, but i think its a stretch to say it less physical now.
I have been watching since the 60s, and yeah, it gets less physical every year. That doesn't mean you have to take it literally to apply to every team in every circumstance (it's a trend thing).

Yes, Anaheim and LA are two of the most physical teams in the league. But don't overplay that, they have been dominant over the Flames as much due to the fact that they are at their peak as teams right now as due to a size superiority.

Anaheim has a ton of playoff experience, and the current Flame roster has almost none - that is the reason, IMO, that they have owned us. The Flames haven't learned how to win in the playoffs yet - that doesn't mean they aren't capable of learning.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #50
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
fixed for you.

yes, i agree, johnny has a lot of fight in him. johnny with all the fight in the world versus brent burns in a board battle, who comes out with the puck?

Ridiculous argument. Brent Burns vs. Patrick Kane on the boards, vs. Prime Wayne Gretzky, vs Martin St.Louis, vs. Pavel Datsyuk... totally meaningless.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
fixed for you.

lol

Yes, size is the only determinant in who wins hockey battles. In the playoffs, the biggest teams always win. You have convinced me.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #52
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Ridiculous argument. Brent Burns vs. Patrick Kane on the boards, vs. Prime Wayne Gretzky, vs Martin St.Louis, vs. Pavel Datsyuk... totally meaningless.
playoff board battles meaningless? haha, that's where games are won and lost.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #53
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
playoff board battles meaningless? haha, that's where games are won and lost.

That’s what I meant, obviously. So then you believe Patrick Kane, St.Louis , Wayne Gretzky, Paul Kariya weren’t good playoff performers because they likely would lose a board battle with Brent Burns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #54
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think guys win board battles by having quick feet and hands, being able to twist and turn in a small area is likely more of an advantage than being 6 foot 4 and slow.

Also, having high hockey IQ.

Is there a state on board battles somewhere?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #55
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I think guys win board battles by having quick feet and hands, being able to twist and turn in a small area is likely more of an advantage than being 6 foot 4 and slow.
Yes and no.

I was fascinated by Sergei Makarov when he first came over to the NHL, and watched him every chance I got when he was on the ice. (Hard to do, alas, for those games that were only on radio.)

Offhand, I don't recall Makarov ever winning a board battle… but he hardly ever lost one either. He just didn't get into them. If he had the puck, nobody could trap him against the boards because he was so quick and shifty on his feet. If he didn't have the puck, he would just reach in with his stick and see if he could pry it loose, and next thing you knew, he was streaking the other way towards a scoring chance. He didn't need to outmuscle guys along the boards. That wasn't his game.

Johnny Gaudreau reminds me of Makarov more than any other player I have seen play in all the years since then.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #56
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like a bad hill to die on. Gaudreau can be on my playoff team any day of the week. If you want to stick with unsung guys then go ahead. But I’ll take my chances with Johnny.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #57
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Yes and no.

I was fascinated by Sergei Makarov when he first came over to the NHL, and watched him every chance I got when he was on the ice. (Hard to do, alas, for those games that were only on radio.)

Offhand, I don't recall Makarov ever winning a board battle… but he hardly ever lost one either. He just didn't get into them. If he had the puck, nobody could trap him against the boards because he was so quick and shifty on his feet. If he didn't have the puck, he would just reach in with his stick and see if he could pry it loose, and next thing you knew, he was streaking the other way towards a scoring chance. He didn't need to outmuscle guys along the boards. That wasn't his game.

Johnny Gaudreau reminds me of Makarov more than any other player I have seen play in all the years since then.
Makarov, IMO, was one of the strongest and proficient puck protecting forwards of his generation.
Incredible strength and balance for 5’ 9” 185 pounds.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #58
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol @ Chris Osgood being average. He's 12th a time in wins, has three Stanley Cups and won his last two ten years apart. He followed that up with a return trip to the finals.

Sorry, Chris Osgood is going to the Hall of Fame. As sure as Stephen Harper is eventually going to have Calgary International Airport named after him.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #59
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

For ranking the Pacific you guys got 3.5 out of 5.

Anaheim, LA, and SJ ranked above you. Oilers, LV , Arizona and Vancouver ranked below.

Oilers with 2 out of 5 and Vancouver with 0 out of 5.

This whole thing is pretty subjective and pointless but good for the summer. It's basically just Craig Custance randomly saying why with no stats to back up his opinion.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #60
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Makarov, IMO, was one of the strongest and proficient puck protecting forwards of his generation.
Incredible strength and balance for 5’ 9” 185 pounds.
That's true. Gaudreau hasn't got his overall strength. On the other hand, Makarov did not have Gaudreau's twitch muscles and hair-trigger agility, which strike me as a shade beyond human. Both players earned their keep by avoiding battles instead of winning them.