Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #2021
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bought myself a Cobra F8.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #2022
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I'm going to go ahead and get back into golfing this summer. Need a bit of advice on that front.

I can, but I've got a pretty nasty hook going and no consistency in terms of accuracy over about 120 yards. Basically, I still swing the club quite hard and generally hit the thing a mile, but who knows in what direction.

Tips?
Sounds like you're swinging too hard and turning your hands over. This is a common problem for baseball and hockey players. Did you play baseball at one time in your life? Sounds like you're trying to pull the ball down the baseline to the third baseman. Relax and try and hit back up the box at the pitcher! Don't activate your hands and let the club swing.

Quote:
My hookiest shots were the ones where I was swinging slow - which, I assume, is a problem with my swing, but somehow one that fixes itself (somewhat) when I really whack it? Golf is weird.
This sounds to me like you are very handsy and wristy in your swing. I suspect that your take away is off plane and you never get the club back into the slot and as a result your brain engages your hands and to correct. Sounds like you need to learn some swing fundamentals to correct this. As I mentioned earlier, you may have some bad habits from another sport. Racket sports can also be a culprit here, but can be used to quickly alter the swing. More information needed on other sporting pursuits you participate in.

Quote:
Honestly, I'd kind of like to be able to swing slower. I'm getting older, and a hundred balls swinging full out just leads to sore palms and sore elbows.
This is definitely indicative of swinging too hard, and not having the proper grip. Your palms should never get sore as that is not where you grip the club. The club is held in the pads of your hand and the fingers. The places you should be sore after hitting too many balls should be in these locations, and you should be developing calluses or blistering in these same locations (only after hitting a ridiculous number of balls - several hundred in a session). If you're going to have a heavy session, tape up!

I would follow some of the recommendations here and take a few lessons. A few minor changes like grip, grip pressure, setup, and proper takeaway can make all the difference in the world and show immediate results.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #2023
Leapfrog
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Can anyone offer updates on the Bearspaw situation?

Clubhouse?
Member assessments?
Bankruptcy rumours?

Thanks!!
Leapfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #2024
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I have that driver - it's great.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #2025
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapfrog View Post
Can anyone offer updates on the Bearspaw situation?

Clubhouse?
Member assessments?
Bankruptcy rumours?

Thanks!!
There is a vote on the cash call upcoming (this weekend I think). Absent that, there's going to be a bunch of liens filed, lawsuits against the club, etc. I gather there's a couple members who would pay a bunch of dough in but want to go semi-private.

If they don't raise the cash and have a bunch of lawsuits/liens I can't see any resolution outside of a bankruptcy/receivership.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #2026
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the lessons front, I have received a couple of suggestions - how do people feel about Golftec?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #2027
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
On the lessons front, I have received a couple of suggestions - how do people feel about Golftec?
I've been going to Golftec for a couple of years to try and get rid of a VERY over the top swing. I was constantly slicing off the tee into trouble.
Golftec promotes an inside to out swing path and hitting a draw. I am able to do that now and have added distance to my game which is great.

They are also very expensive so you may want to decide if it is really worth it to you. If I was in your shoes as you are just getting back into golf I would take a couple lessons one on one with a pro and play this season. You should then have a better idea if Golftec is right for you. As I mentioned I had a real problem being over the top and was never going to improve without taking drastic action so for me it was the way to go.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #2028
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's really good, but to make it worthwhile you need to go lots and spend $$$.
Also, it is a lot busier than I thought it would be, so hard to schedule lessons, practice time, I did in evening so might be different for you.

They have a spring package, with 1 evaluation + 3 or 4 lessons for $500 or so, that is worthwhile to see if it is worth it for you to get bigger packages. Not sure if the spring special would still be on
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #2029
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Checked the website and apparently no spring package. Ok, so that's more advanced - maybe later on when I'm not terrible. Any suggestions as to where to look for lessons in the NW? I saw earlier suggestions but they're a bit of a haul to get to.

Also are there any covered driving ranges in the city? I know there's the indoor facility in parkdale, but I can't tell where my shot's going if I hit into a net. Just wondering where I could go if it's raining out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #2030
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to a virtual golf spot
Old 04-27-2019, 03:10 AM   #2031
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Very nice! I was looking at new drivers for the last month or so, my old Burners time has ended. Stumbled across Callaways Xr at sportchek. I know it's a 2017 driver, but I couldn't resist with it being 1/2 price.

I played my first round with it at Mackenzie Meadows last Monday and this thing is a dream.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #2032
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Very nice! I was looking at new drivers for the last month or so, my old Burners time has ended. Stumbled across Callaways Xr at sportchek. I know it's a 2017 driver, but I couldn't resist with it being 1/2 price.

I played my first round with it at Mackenzie Meadows last Monday and this thing is a dream.
I picked up an XR16 a few years ago and have never regretted it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #2033
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Go to a virtual golf spot
I guess I could, but I'd rather be outside. This morning would be perfect for a covered range.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #2034
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post

I bought mine used for 1/3 of what GolfTown is selling them for.

Paying full retail for Drivers is insanity. The only equipment I usually buy new is irons, maybe balls once in a blue moon.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #2035
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I could, but I'd rather be outside. This morning would be perfect for a covered range.
The good thing about virtual, aside from not having to worry about the weather, is it will show you things like path, face angle etc. You can learn a lot about your game with them.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #2036
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I bought mine used for 1/3 of what GolfTown is selling them for.

Paying full retail for Drivers is insanity. The only equipment I usually buy new is irons, maybe balls once in a blue moon.
I'd like to know how they keep reinventing the driver each and every year and making golfers believe it's the one you have to have.

As for me i'm playing with my trusty Burner driver. I have tried all the latest over the years but I keep going back to the Burner that has served me well. Most of my drives are down the middle so I never saw the need to upgrade. The same with my irons. Like, why change if what you have is working.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #2037
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I started last season with a new TM M1 and a fancy shaft, then while I was at Golf Town I swung the PING g400 Max a few times and liked it a lot better. It really reminded me of a PING Anser I tried a few times many years back. So I found an Anser online for $40 and sold the M1, and came out $220 ahead.

Golf equipment has the most ridiculous marketing.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #2038
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'd like to know how they keep reinventing the driver each and every year and making golfers believe it's the one you have to have.

As for me i'm playing with my trusty Burner driver. I have tried all the latest over the years but I keep going back to the Burner that has served me well. Most of my drives are down the middle so I never saw the need to upgrade. The same with my irons. Like, why change if what you have is working.
Honestly the annual new technology & improvements aren't for Joe Golfer who pokes it down the fairway 190 yards. It is not going to make a noticeable difference for 95% of golfers.

They are for improved distance and control for the guy who hits a 290 yard high draw down the middle and wants to hit it 305 instead.

95% of golfers will score the same regardless of their equipment. The other 5% are the ones who see the noticeable difference with the new & improved technology. It's all just marketing.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #2039
thatguy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Honestly the annual new technology & improvements aren't for Joe Golfer who pokes it down the fairway 190 yards. It is not going to make a noticeable difference for 95% of golfers.

They are for improved distance and control for the guy who hits a 290 yard high draw down the middle and wants to hit it 305 instead.

95% of golfers will score the same regardless of their equipment. The other 5% are the ones who see the noticeable difference with the new & improved technology. It's all just marketing.
you might be right i upgraded to a m2 last year from a r11 and i didnt gain the 15 yards a year they promise in the commercials
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #2040
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
The Golf Canada Centre has covered (and heated) hitting bays...if I remember correctly.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wpgflamesfan For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow