Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #161
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edited: A 2nd for Berra and a 3rd for Stempniak both look like good moves.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-05-2014 at 02:24 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #162
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Which is it?

Are GM's starting to figure it out (due to advanced stats?) or would Bouwmeester have gotten more, despite being the rental you described?
That's where I tripped up, I was thinking about trading Bouw this year as if he wasn't a rental. No idea why I thought that. Probably the bath salts.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #163
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hardly, there's hundreds of other possible trades that didn't happen for whatever reason today. You're just upset because your expectations weren't met, even after admitting you are basing things on assumptions. Using words like "embarrassing" or "idiot" based on assumptions is extreme and just looks silly.
Agreed. Lets just put it this way... Anahaim is a cup contender, they cleared room (Penner) to pick up a LWer.... and they did nothing.

Just saying...

Like everyone else, I am baffled beyond belief we didn't recover that 3rd round pick for Cammalleri. But I get that there is more dynamics out there.... just look at what Vanek/Moulson got. Cammalleri is no where near worth what those 2 are.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #164
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I thought Sutter had to let Cammy go to be compliant with the cap?
I had heard they were .5 mill off in negotiations
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #165
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Burke is a man, he's not a push over and letting anyone penetrate him and give is garbage. If you are contending and are a piece away either pay up or we won't trade our guy.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #166
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burke deserves some criticism but this is typical Flames bad luck in that they finally start the scorched earth rebuild and it comes at a time when teams decide they no longer plan on giving up top prospects and picks for rental players. There were years past that I'm positive Cammalleri would have fetched a 1st today but those days appear no longer and no matter how you pile on Burke or Feaster it doesn't change the fact that the trade deadline market has shifted and the offers just weren't there that we have been accustomed to in the past.

Sucks that the Flames got nothing but I'm not going to lose sleep over losing out on the next Keenan Kanzig.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #167
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He paid a top 10 pick/Moulson/and a 2nd for him a couple months back

Got a 2nd and prospect back, shrewd move
Okay, I guess I'm not being clear. I think Snow did a horrible job his whole career. Easily the worst GM in the league. Looking at the entire Vanek saga, terrible.

However, it would have been significantly worse if he didn't get something back for Vanek before he signs somewhere as a UFA. He did get something back to mitigate the losses. Not great overall, but better than nothing.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #168
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Came for the doom and gloom, leaving satisfied.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #169
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
If you trade for less than value, you'll become known to do so and never get value in the future. See: Feaster.
not sure if comparing Burke's reputation and Feaster's is a fair one.

We are talking about an asset that has a stale date...and shedding one impending UFA hardly seems like that's going to put a Scarlet Letter on Burke as being an acting GM that anyone can fleece in a trade...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #170
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Burke deserves some criticism but this is typical Flames bad luck in that they finally start the scorched earth rebuild and it comes at a time when teams decide they no longer plan on giving up top prospects and picks for rental players. There were years past that I'm positive Cammalleri would have fetched a 1st today but those days appear no longer and no matter how you pile on Burke or Feaster it doesn't change the fact that the trade deadline market has shifted and the offers just weren't there that we have been accustomed to in the past.

Sucks that the Flames got nothing but I'm not going to lose sleep over losing out on the next Keenan Kanzig.
Exactly. Again, yeah I'd like to get that mid-round pick. This is as outragous as losing a late round pick for Lane McDermid. Sucks but really not that big of a deal.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #171
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I wish we had gotten something, but given what that something would've been makes this pretty inconsequential. Certainly not something indicative of massive management failure!

Again, maybe something is better than nothing but not by much in this instance.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #172
superfarmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Welcome to overreaction central. Haha
superfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #173
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For those saying "who cares about a mid round pick anyways" well you know what kind of players you can take a chance on with extra midround picks?

John Gaudreau.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #174
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I thought Sutter had to let Cammy go to be compliant with the cap?
It's true that signing Cammy would have put them over the cap but it's only because Sutter traded for Jokenin the year before and traded for and signed JBo before free agency started.

They seemed like good moves at the time and you could consider Cammalleri to be a rental for the 08-09 season I guess. The Flames ended up wanting him back three years later though so they really should have just done whatever possible to keep him in the first place. It is the same mistake the Ducks made with Beauchemin.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #175
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Admittedly it does suck that Burke wasn't able to get a deal done so we can have assets to improve our club. But if teams were only offering a 3rd or 2nd round pick, would we really be satisfied with it? Teams weren't lining up for Cammy, they were prioritizing Vanek, Gaborik and Kesler.

I'd rather us not look desperate and ship Cammy off for something that doesn't even begin to bring value to our team, like a lower draft pick, when he should be commanding more value. It hurts us short term, but this is a move which I think will benefit us in the long term. We can't be pushed around or sell our assets for low value.

Last edited by Cole436; 03-05-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #176
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I gather from this is we really need to hire Darcy Regier as our next manager. He got better value out of just trading Vanek then all the managers combined today got for their slew of scoring wingers (Vanek, Moulson, Gaborik, Hemsky, Cammalleri). Here's hoping that comes to fruition.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #177
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hardly, there's hundreds of other possible trades that didn't happen for whatever reason today. You're just upset because your expectations weren't met, even after admitting you are basing things on assumptions. Using words like "embarrassing" or "idiot" based on assumptions is extreme and just looks silly.
My expectations were that Cammellari would either receive an extension (as Burke had discussed over the past couple weeks) or be traded for market value. I don't think either expectation was unreasonable.

I think even those who are defending the lack of movement or shrugging it off would likely admit that the current scenario would have been their "worst case" scenario.

I guess, simply, I don't understand how Burke could have "good discussions" with Cammellari about an extension, explore the trade market and end up with nothing but risk.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #178
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaFaFlamey View Post
Huh? So hold your ground and let absolutely nothing for a half decent player. Repeat, absolutely nothing whatsoever.

You do realize Cammy isn't resigning.

Ahhhhhhhhh this organization is never short on silliness.
Really? Oh.

Look....I get that. My point is that what is worth more to Burke....a 3rd rounder or Burke's reputation as someone who does what he says (assuming he set a minimum he would accept and didn't get it)?

Aside from Burke's personal reputation after drawing a line in the sand, I think there is a longer term benefit to this team if they are known to stick to their guns.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #179
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cammalleri's got to be a bit disappointed, or not. Well to him I say, you should have played better if you wanted to be traded.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #180
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

is your cat doing singing?

Last edited by handgroen; 03-05-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: eyesore
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote