Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #501
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Wasn't really any value for teams trading back this year because the QB class was so pathetic no one was going to set the market with an overpay to move up.
This was unfortunate for teams like the Jets and Raiders that wanted to trade down. There was hype that Locke could be a top 10 pick but it was proven last night that the NFL just isn't high on this QB class. Jones is the worst 1st round reach on a QB since EJ Manuel. Dan Snyder didn't even have to trade up to get Haskins because once the Giants passed up on him there was no other teams with interest. Funny thing is that Will Grier could easily turn into a better pro QB than the QB's picked in the first round. This was simply a bad year for teams in the top 10 that didn't need a QB in regards to trade down possibilities.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #502
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Will the Thrill No Fear Grier is gonna be a baller. Denver won’t take him because Elway only likes guaranteed busts at QB and I hope he doesn’t end up on a team I hate.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #503
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Look likes Pats got a good red zone possession receiver in Harry at 32.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #504
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m
So Oakland, which couldn’t get a deal done with Khalil Mack, now will be dealing with Mack’s agent on its top pick Clelin Ferrell.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #505
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
3m
So Oakland, which couldn’t get a deal done with Khalil Mack, now will be dealing with Mack’s agent on its top pick Clelin Ferrell.
That's kind of a dumb thing for Schefter to tweet seeing Joel Segal also represents the other top DE's in Allen and Oliver (Raiders also considered). Did Schefter really think the Raiders would pick players in the draft based on their agents? Honestly it kind of gets old piling on the Raiders for stuff like this.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #506
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Mayock says he was their 2nd edge rusher on the board right next to bosa

Whether it was a reach or not, schefter says the jets tried hard to trade out of 3 and couldnt, so I imagine same for raiders

In that case I'd rather trust in the GM with the scouting background taking his guy, than taking someone who went higher in a bunch of mock drafts
Well of course he's going to say that. You think any GM is going to come out and say "We drafted a guy way down on our board because of team need?" This is what happens when you reach based on need instead of taking BPA. Ferrell may turn out fine but it's not a good value pick.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #507
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Well of course he's going to say that. You think any GM is going to come out and say "We drafted a guy way down on our board because of team need?" This is what happens when you reach based on need instead of taking BPA. Ferrell may turn out fine but it's not a good value pick.

When the player himself is surprised that he was drafted that high...you know the team was going way off board.

Quote:
"I would be lying to you if I said I wasn't surprised ... [but] I always felt like I was going to be a Raider because I had such a good relationship and good meetings with the Raiders," he said. "It was such a great process."
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #508
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were DEs later tho, they could have gotten or traded up for, obviously they valued a 4-3 de who plays 3 downs, and has a great history, dabo raced about him more than the other 2 clemson d lineman

Like Erick said, allen doesnt fit the scheme, and for oliver, on the athletic one of the raiders guys pointed out how high they are on Hurst and hall, and didnt want to draft another inside player

So if they are drafting for value... who should they have taken? Hockenson?

Also think so many people overrate mock drafts

Ferrel was in the top 10 in mocks all year, he was like top 5 in a bunch post title game where he was great. He didnt do anything to fall, the media guys get lied to by teams or have their own favorites, especially flashy type players.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #509
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Will the Thrill No Fear Grier is gonna be a baller. Denver won’t take him because Elway only likes guaranteed busts at QB and I hope he doesn’t end up on a team I hate.
He reminds me a bit of Romo, hes gonna make more mistakes than others, but hes also going to turn a bunch of nothing plays into huge positives. I think hes gonna make whomever takes him today very happy in a few years
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #510
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raiders liked Oliver but were concerned about his size as he will be the smallest DT in the NFL. Personally I would have still taken Oliver size risk and all but the Raiders really liked Ferrell and you can't argue with his production in college especially in big games. I'm okay with the pick but I would have preferred they trade down even if the trade value was poor as getting something is better than nothing.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #511
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours going around that the Cards have dealt Rosen to the Dolphins for their second round pick.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #512
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rumours going around that the Cards have dealt Rosen to the Dolphins for their second round pick.
If true I think this is good value for the Dolphins. The draft negatives with Rosen centered mostly around his perceived love football and intangibles but IMO he's a more gifted passer than all the QB's in this draft outside of Murray. He will have a year to sit behind Fitzpatrick and learn how not to play the position which is also a positive.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #513
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If true I think this is good value for the Dolphins. The draft negatives with Rosen centered mostly around his perceived love football and intangibles but IMO he's a more gifted passer than all the QB's in this draft outside of Murray. He will have a year to sit behind Fitzpatrick and learn how not to play the position which is also a positive.
I don't think there's any chance the Dolphins aren't rolling with Rosen as their week 1 starter.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #514
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The Kansas City Chiefs have announced that Tyreek Hill has been barred indefinitely from all team activities until more is known about an audio recording that aired on a local TV station in which the star wide receiver's fiancée accused him of abusing their 3-year-old son.

"We were deeply disturbed by what we heard [on the recorded conversation]," general manager Brett Veach said. "We were deeply concerned. Now, obviously, we have great concern for [fiancée] Crystal [Espinal]. We are greatly concerned for Tyreek. But our main focus, our main concern, is with the young child."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ies-wake-audio
Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #515
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think there's any chance the Dolphins aren't rolling with Rosen as their week 1 starter.
The problem with starting Rosen on day one is that the moment he has a a bad game or two the calls for Fitzmagic will start and Rosen supposedly doesn't deal with that stuff well. Just looking at Rosen's play last season (not great although he had no talent on offense to work with) I think he could benefit from sitting behind a vet at least for the first half of the season as we all know that Fitzpatrick will come out throwing and may look good for a few weeks before the accumulation of back breaking interceptions will lead to his inevitable benching to which Rosen can be eased in.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #516
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Coming this July: "While we do not excuse his actions, after speaking with Tyreek, the Kansas City Chiefs organization and Coach Reid have agreed to reinstate Tyreek. We believe that Tyreek has learned from his past mistakes and is committed to being a better person and a father going forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #517
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's the right move and they probably had no choice as that tape is pretty damning. I think the Chiefs are primed to fall back a bit next season. That offense never looked quite the same without Hunt and certainly will not look the same without Hunt and Hill as those are the two speedsters that Reid used to create mismatches. Watkins is fast but he can't be counted on to play more than half a season. The defense is still a mess. Could be the Chargers year.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:19 PM   #518
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although now he might be going to jail.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1121854078085156864
Old 04-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #519
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Although now he might be going to jail.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1121854078085156864
He's probably going to be done for at least a year or maybe forever.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #520
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's the right move and they probably had no choice as that tape is pretty damning. I think the Chiefs are primed to fall back a bit next season. That offense never looked quite the same without Hunt and certainly will not look the same without Hunt and Hill as those are the two speedsters that Reid used to create mismatches. Watkins is fast but he can't be counted on to play more than half a season. The defense is still a mess. Could be the Chargers year.
As long as KC has Black Aaron Rodgers under centre and Andy Reid calling plays, they're dangerous.

#### Tyreek Hill. Patrick Mahomes got me to enjoy football for the first time in five years, and with every incredible pass he made to Hill, I reminded myself that this was a man who punched and choked his pregnant girlfriend. Huzzah, he's fast. I'm only slightly disappointed his career will be ended by an audio recording and not a safety who put a helmet into his knee.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: