Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #2101
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude that deck isn't even grey yet. You're good for a while.

Reminds me I need to start looking into who's going to build me a deck once the weather warms up.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #2102
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks guys! I won't worry about anything for awhile then - onto finding other things!
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #2103
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that your deck is perfectly fine as is now and likely for many more years. But if it really starts bugging you or you wnat a project I think you'd get more out of replacing the existing boards with a new composite that will never require staining and will look the same in 30 years and won't warp, twist or move. Sanding and staining really sucks. It's cheap but depending on your wood, it may be something you have to do every couple years. You'll see a huge improvement with a new deck top. It's also something you can take on yourself easily. No permits required or anything.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #2104
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or just get some nice outdoor carpets and fasten them down to the deck.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #2105
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks! My in-laws actually have composite decking and I really like it. With the existing foundations already done, seems simple enough to just replace the existing boards...

I also like the idea for outdoor carpets right now. The thing that bugs me right now is that if I don't wear shoes outside then I can feel the cracks in the wood. I'm really lazy when it comes to throwing on shoes to just check the grill...
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #2106
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I leave a pair of old flip flops at the back door.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #2107
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I leave a pair of Birkenstocks at the back door so I can look like a hippy while I grill.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #2108
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I agree that your deck is perfectly fine as is now and likely for many more years. But if it really starts bugging you or you wnat a project I think you'd get more out of replacing the existing boards with a new composite that will never require staining and will look the same in 30 years and won't warp, twist or move. Sanding and staining really sucks. It's cheap but depending on your wood, it may be something you have to do every couple years. You'll see a huge improvement with a new deck top. It's also something you can take on yourself easily. No permits required or anything.
You must be a Trex sales rep.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #2109
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have an apple tree that needs a serious pruning ...anyone have recommendations for a tree care company?
4x4 to the rescue! My wife got several quotes, but 4x4 pm'd me with info for a guy he knows. I sent him the pictures, he quoted and it was way less than all the others. He came Saturday, did a professional job and was done in no time. He took time to make sure we were OK with the amount of tree getting removed, as it was quite dramatic, but the tree really needed it. Gave me some pointers, cleaned up and was on his way.

So if you need any tree work, PM 4x4, he'll hook you up! Another win for CP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #2110
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendations for an electrician for a small job? I need a power wire ran through a wall (through tile, though). Don't have time to do it myself...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #2111
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Since we're asking for Calgary Puck recommendations - I'm looking for someone to help us improve the lighting in our house. Our house has quite high vaulted ceilings upstairs and currently has old potlights for most of it (one room has no ceiling lighting at all) so we're looking both for design advice and actual installation. Do any of you have recommendations?
Arsenal14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #2112
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Any recommendations for an electrician for a small job? I need a power wire ran through a wall (through tile, though). Don't have time to do it myself...
Most electricians wont cut tile as it's pretty difficult to do after its laid. Even when wiring houses it's always tile guys cutting the holes out for electricians. Maybe if you would cut the tile an electrician would surely do the job.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #2113
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

need some advice.
in my back yard, the latch for the gate was affixed to the siding of the garage. needless to say this didn't last.

there isn't much room between the gate and the garage, but I thought to use an epoxy adhesive to put in a pole I could put the latch onto. do I have the right idea?

I'm thinking that or put a couple of long screws right through the wall of the garage.

would appreciate some direction.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #2114
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
need some advice.
in my back yard, the latch for the gate was affixed to the siding of the garage. needless to say this didn't last.

there isn't much room between the gate and the garage, but I thought to use an epoxy adhesive to put in a pole I could put the latch onto. do I have the right idea?

I'm thinking that or put a couple of long screws right through the wall of the garage.

would appreciate some direction.

Is your garage drywalled inside? It would be easy to screw from the inside of the garage into the post rather than through the post into the garage. Also what kind of siding is on your garage? You'd want to attach any post right to the wood sheeting and preferably framing or backing in the garage, not just to the siding. Or if you don't want to do that you could put the post into the ground with cement just like a normal fence post. That way you would not need to attach it to the garage but it would take up more space for the gate opening for sure.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 04-25-2019 at 08:05 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #2115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long screws into the framing is going to be your best bet, I would think. Tough to say without a pic.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #2116
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Long screws into the framing is going to be your best bet, I would think. Tough to say without a pic.
Shouldn't you be worrying about finishing your own garage??
Old 04-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #2117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Shouldn't you be worrying about finishing your own garage??
Hey man, turns out muding and takes a long time. Have you seen how many walls a garage has? Lots man, lots.

I can see the light though! Once I'm done with that it's paint, floor, trim, lights, furnace and done!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #2118
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey man, turns out muding and takes a long time. Have you seen how many walls a garage has? Lots man, lots.

I can see the light though! Once I'm done with that it's paint, floor, trim, lights, furnace and done!
Well I would hope you had lights in there if you are mudding.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #2119
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Is your garage drywalled inside? It would be easy to screw from the inside of the garage into the post rather than through the post into the garage. Also what kind of siding is on your garage? You'd want to attach any post right to the wood sheeting and preferably framing or backing in the garage, not just to the siding. Or if you don't want to do that you could put the post into the ground with cement just like a normal fence post. That way you would not need to attach it to the garage but it would take up more space for the gate opening for sure.
garage has vinyl siding which already has 4 holes form two times where the previous owner just had 2 inch screws into the siding of the garage.

inside of the garage is just drywall, yes.

where the post for the latch would need to go there is nothing but concrete, and not much room between the gate and side of the garage.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #2120
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's probably the simplest since the previous guy already put holes in the siding. maybe I was just over thinking it. I'll give it a go and if I fail, post pics.

had some high winds recently, the latch came off, and the winds then ripped the swinging gate right off the post. laying in the driveway when I got home from work.

one of those things where I knew it was going to be an issue but put off doing anything about it. good reminder for me about preventative maintenance.