Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #581
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I've seen in the playoffs that I wish we saw more of is... truculence

Since Game 2, I've wondered what other teams were doing that Calgary would need to emulate to do well. Even if Calgary made it through Round 1, I wasn't sure how they were going to fare against Vegas. If anything, I wanted the more skilled SJ team over the punishing Vegas group. We'll see soon which recipe gets you into Round 2, but who knows what works deeper and deeper.

Then there's the STL/WPG series, where the bigger team lost - and they're out searching for answers. They could lose a coach and they're definitely going to end up losing huge pieces of their roster - their GM has said as much. Now Winnipeg fans are also hoping for the same answers, and I'd have suggested last week that Tre look a smidge East for inspiration.

What will it take to get Johnny to perform in the Playoffs?
Can our top line get it done in the Playoffs, or do we just have a really good 2nd line?
What will it take to get this team to perform past the All-Star Break?
I have guesses, but the answer in 2019-20 was looking to be as simple as 'goaltending'. Now, obviously, that doesn't even have a clear answer.
You send Monahan away, but how many regular-season points are walking out the door?

So, I haven't a clue.

Last edited by Split98; 04-23-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #582
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Yes. The flames were barely above .500 against playoff teams.
The Flames went 21-15-3 for a .577 points percentage against playoff teams.

On a quick count, the other two non-Tampa division winners were Nashville at 21-19-3 (.523) and Washington at 19-17-6 (.524).
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #583
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Couturier has more value than any Flames player, and you want to get him without giving up any of the Flames best players?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not at all what I said. All I implied was that trading one of the mentioned for couturier is just a lateral move mostly- we need to add a couturier level player without subtracting one of those. Not sure exactly how but trading brodie for a 1st+ then having 2 1sts to swing around might grease the wheels.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #584
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Not at all what I said. All I implied was that trading one of the mentioned for couturier is just a lateral move mostly- we need to add a couturier level player without subtracting one of those. Not sure exactly how but trading brodie for a 1st+ then having 2 1sts to swing around might grease the wheels.
I think lateral moves, or "hockey trades" are kind of the point, and really the most realistic way to tinker with the team.

After all, the Flames are/were a top tier team already. Adding anything gets increasingly difficult the closer to the top you are.

On the other hand, as a good team we have almost a full roster of pieces that are attractive to someone.

We're now at the tinkering phase, and things should mostly be about staying competitive and finding the right combinations of players for success.

Which is what we're discussing now; what (lateral) trades could be available and what would make sense.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #585
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

IF Tkachuk is committed to Calgary. IF! Then he needs to be taken off a shutdown line and be used in more of an offensive role.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #586
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting Couturier for any Calgary player is not a lateral move, he is that good. That's why he is likely not available.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #587
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Kasperi Kapanen would be an extremely appealing addition. 6'1" and blazingly fast. Not especially physical, but not small, either.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #588
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
IF Tkachuk is committed to Calgary. IF! Then he needs to be taken off a shutdown line and be used in more of an offensive role.
This is where I keep coming back to the thought that a Gaudreau-Point trade is a perfect match for both teams.

Make it into a bigger trade

Point+Miller for Gaudreau+Brodie+Jankowski

Flames top 6 would be:

Tkachuk-Point-Lindholm
Bennett-Monahan-Miller

This way Tampa also bolsters their D with the move and sends out salary in Miller to make the cap work. For the Flames they bolster their center ice position and allow Tkachuk to move up to top scoring option on the wing.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #589
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Brayden Point is so awesome and #1C calibre players are so wonderful that the Lightning will be desperate to get rid of one?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #590
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Brayden Point is so awesome and #1C calibre players are so wonderful that the Lightning will be desperate to get rid of one?
Well they got swept in the playoffs which means the roster needs a tear down.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #591
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Johnny Gaudreau is a superstar in his own right one that could come $3M less for the next 3 years. Lightning have Hedmen just under $8M, Stamkos at $8.5M, Kucherov at $9.5M. Can they afford another contract in the 9-10 range?

I don’t think trading Point for Gaudreau would be considered desperate. I do think a deal of that magnitude is extremely unlikely
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #592
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I just finished the You Be The Boss Poll in the Herald.
My Keep Him list:
Andersson
Bennett
Dube
Gaudreau
Giordano
Hamonic
Hanifin
Kylington
Lindholm
Mangiapane (give him a raise)
Monahan
Neal
Ryan
Rittich
Smith
Tkachuk (give him a raise)
Valimaki

Treliving
Peters
I hate that "give him a raise" part of these polls every year. I get that it's mostly for the casual fans, but even most casual fans understand that the salary cap and guaranteed contracts are a fundamental part of the NHL.

It's insulting to give an option that has no basis in reality AND goes against what you'd want if you're a fan of your team even if players could be given raises for great seasons.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-23-2019 at 07:54 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #593
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Point thing is coming up entirely due to the contract issues on the Tampa side.

Personally I can see Monahan being the player, as he can slide into the 2c spot on Tampa for 2M less than what Point could potentially make.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #594
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Getting Couturier for any Calgary player is not a lateral move, he is that good. That's why he is likely not available.
I disagree with that. And if not, why would philly even consider moving him?

I'm not ready to give up on Monahan, gaudreau, tkachuk or lindholm based on one playoff series. Monahan has been the best player on the ice in past playoffs, it was tkachuk and Lindys first time. Gaudreau is more worrisome as his lack of post season play is now notable across several seasons, but I think the problem isnt necessarily with him in this case, it's that no one stands up for him in the toughest times.
I would move anyone on the roster right now aside from those four in a hockey trade, but I honestly subtracting any one of them makes the lot of them worse.

Reoint for Monahan. That is an interesting one, point is dynamic. But I think it would exasperate the gaudreau issues- two dynamic small players would play amazingly well sometimes but longer term you need a little salt to your pepper. No disrespect to point, hes no slouch and he is tough for his size, but hes another pint sized guy. Two on one line seems pushing it
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #595
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree with that. And if not, why would philly even consider moving him?

it

I can’t imagine why Philly would move Couturier, I doubt they would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #596
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Why do we want Point? He's smaller than Monahan and just as soft. His offensive numbers may also be inflated given his linemates. Sure he's a Calgary kid an a great skater. But centering Gaudreau I'm not sure what he brings?

(not saying I wouldn't consider a Monahan<>Point swap, as long as the additional assets needed on the Flames side were reasonable)
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #597
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Why do we want Point? He's smaller than Monahan and just as soft. His offensive numbers may also be inflated given his linemates. Sure he's a Calgary kid an a great skater. But centering Gaudreau I'm not sure what he brings?

(not saying I wouldn't consider a Monahan<>Point swap, as long as the additional assets needed on the Flames side were reasonable)
His line mates were Palat and Tyler Johnson.

Granted, he was playing other teams 2nd units. But his line mates have little to do with his success in my opinion.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #598
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
His line mates were Palat and Tyler Johnson.

Granted, he was playing other teams 2nd units. But his line mates have little to do with his success in my opinion.
Johnson is pretty darn good IMO.

But yeah, I think Point is really good and in both zones as well. The local kid stuff doesn't sway me either way, though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #599
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to see the Flames utilize Lindholm as a center. And go for a legit top 6 rw.

Gaudreau - lindholm - bennett (or new guy)
Tkachuk - Monahan - new guy (or bennett)
Jankowski - Backlund - new guy (or prospect)
Magipane - Ryan - Hathaway (resign)

Unless mgt feels like Neal can contribute i think they should buy him out. Quickly move on.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #600
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another option is to offersheet rantanen. Second times a charm for OS Avs?
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote