Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Happy Birthday Terry Fox

He would have been 61. A genuine Canadian Hero who fought cancer for his whole life. Determined to raise awareness and show that someone with disabilities could over come everything Terry started the Marathon of Hope on April 20, 1980, He dipped his right leg in the Atlantic Ocean at St John's. and collected two jars of water, one as a souvenir, and one to pour into the pacific.

He ran for 145 days and 5373 Km while facing daily pain and sickness. However on Sept 1st after falling ill he was forced to abandon his run as his cancer had returned. Terry ran from St John's to Thunder Bay before he had to stop, he refused offers by others to complete his marathon as he wanted to complete it himself.

Terry Fox died on June 20, 1981, and all flags across the nation were lowered to half mast.

I still remember talking part in Terry Fox runs in Junior high and high school and going door to door trying to raise funds for the run. And the hundreds of people taking part in it.

He did great thing for cancer awareness, and his efforts touched the lives of everyone who's family members were fighting this horrible disease.

RIP Terry Fox, one of the great Canadians

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a case could be made (if there is such a thing/rankings seem not really relevant) as the greatest Canadian- and I say that because he was both so ordinary and extraordinary at the same time- such a short life but has inspired millions and his legacy organizations have raised I believe 3/4 of a billion for cancer research
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He would have been 61. A genuine Canadian Hero who fought cancer for his whole life. Determined to raise awareness and show that someone with disabilities could over come everything Terry started the Marathon of Hope on April 20, 1980, He dipped his right leg in the Atlantic Ocean at St John's. and collected two jars of water, one as a souvenir, and one to pour into the pacific.

He ran for 145 days and 5373 Km while facing daily pain and sickness. However on Sept 1st after falling ill he was forced to abandon his run as his cancer had returned. Terry ran from St John's to Thunder Bay before he had to stop, he refused offers by others to complete his marathon as he wanted to complete it himself.

Terry Fox died on June 20, 1981, and all flags across the nation were lowered to half mast.

I still remember talking part in Terry Fox runs in Junior high and high school and going door to door trying to raise funds for the run. And the hundreds of people taking part in it.

He did great thing for cancer awareness, and his efforts touched the lives of everyone who's family members were fighting this horrible disease.

RIP Terry Fox, one of the great Canadians

What he did is even more amazing and tragic, looking back now, realizing just how young he was.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Terry's legacy is pretty incredible. To inspire as many people as he did, at his age, was impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I think a case could be made (if there is such a thing/rankings seem not really relevant) as the greatest Canadian- and I say that because he was both so ordinary and extraordinary at the same time- such a short life but has inspired millions and his legacy organizations have raised I believe 3/4 of a billion for cancer research
It's been 15 years since CBC put out The Greatest Canadian special that pissed off a nation. Having Don Cherry at 7 is a travesty. Anywhere on the list really.

I do think Terry was in the right spot at #2. What Tommy Douglas did as the "father of Medicare" is pretty defining for Canada.

1. Tommy Douglas
2. Terry Fox
3. Pierre Trudeau
4. Sir Frederick Banting (insulin)
5. David Suzuki
6. Lester B. Pearson
7. Don Cherry
8. John A Macdonald
9. Alexander Graham Bell
10. Wayne Gretzky
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote