Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Question - Can I put a FOR SALE sign on my car?

I am here to seek help from the brain trusts here at CP.

I am looking to sell my car and I am wondering if I can park my car at a busy strip mall and put a FOR SALE sign on it. I used to see these type of things in front of Superstores and such but haven't seen any for a few years now. I have read that it may be a Calgaey by-laws violation to have signs indicating that your vehicle is for sale.

Can anyone confirm this?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best to subvert a Lime Juicer in these modern times.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #3
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post

I am looking to sell my car and I am wondering if I can park my car at a busy strip mall and put a FOR SALE sign on it. I used to see these type of things in front of Superstores and such but haven't seen any for a few years now. I have read that it may be a Calgaey by-laws violation to have signs indicating that your vehicle is for sale.

Can anyone confirm this?
Nothing wrong with doing that as long as you are shopping at the stores at the strip mall. This is private property, and if you are not shopping there they will probably take offence. They will tow your vehicle at your expense.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the city parking bylaw: https://www.calgaryparking.com/docum...king+Bylaw.pdf

This situation is covered in section 3.2:
Quote:
A person shall not park a vehicle that is being displayed for sale or that is displaying advertising directing persons to a commercial premises on a highway.

As for the definition of a highway:
Quote:
“Highway” means any thoroughfare, street, road, trail, avenue, parkway, driveway, viaduct, lane, alley, square, bridge, causeway, trestleway or other place, whether publicly or privately owned, any part of which the public is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use for the passage or parking of vehicles
A strip mall parking lot should count as a privately owned place where "any part of which the public is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use for the ... parking of vehicles". As such, it would appear that doing so would be in violation of the bylaw.

Last edited by getbak; 07-27-2019 at 12:57 AM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 02:19 AM   #5
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you'd be better served to buy a classified ad in the newspaper. Morning edition will probably have more readership than the afternoon edition. You can use your phone book to look up the phone number of the newspaper and then use your home telephone to phone them and tell them the details of your advertisement. But maybe sending them a telegram would be easier...because you could enclose your personal cheque along with it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Or you could put an ad on Kijiji and Autotrader and reach 1000x more people most of whom are actually looking for a vehicle.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

The strip mall would probably have it towed, as you are taking up a space and not shopping there.

Years ago, I had a friend who was selling a car and had it towed from a parking spot on the street, because it had a for sale sign on it. The number of cars that are parked like that near my work now, would indicate that they don't enforce it so much anymore.

Recently though, we did have one towed from the street. I wasn't involved with that, so I'm not sure if it was due to the sign, or if it didn't have a proper license plate or something like that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Here's the city parking bylaw: https://www.calgaryparking.com/docum...king+Bylaw.pdf

This situation is covered in section 3.2:

As for the definition of a highway:

A strip mall parking lot should count as a privately owned place where "any part of which the public is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use for the ... parking of vehicles". As such, it would appear that doing so would be in violation of the bylaw.
I'm not a lawyer but based on this wouldn't it be illegal to park any business vehicle that has a wrap or contact information on it in Calgary? Seems ridiculously restrictive.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
But maybe sending them a telegram would be easier...because you could enclose your personal cheque along with it.
That's not how telegrams work, sonny boy.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #10
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
THANK you.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could get a vanity plate...4SALE. Then it would be permanently advertised everywhere you go.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I think you'd be better served to buy a classified ad in the newspaper. Morning edition will probably have more readership than the afternoon edition. You can use your phone book to look up the phone number of the newspaper and then use your home telephone to phone them and tell them the details of your advertisement. But maybe sending them a telegram would be easier...because you could enclose your personal cheque along with it.
By Jove sir, you know they charge by the word on those things? surely there must be some form of notice board at your local apothecary or haberdashery, perhaps have a scrivener write you a suitable notice.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think Co-op will let you put an 8.5" x 11" ad on the bulliten board at the back of the store. A great idea I saw one time was a guy wrote his number across the bottom and you could tear off a little tab so you'd have his number when you got back home and could access your phone.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids these days will no longer understand why every company's names used to be like:

"AAAAAfordable Locksmith"

"AA Chigaco Deep Dish Pizza"

"A++ Car For Sale Sign Store"
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It's just a little ironic that you guys are making those jokes on a message board. I mean, I laughed, but this place isn't exactly Tik Tok.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
That's not how telegrams work, sonny boy.
I guess I was thinking Western Union kind of thing, but I guess you'd be writing your personal cheque to them rather than enclosing it.

Also for OP, I know I wouldn't be interested in a car that I know has been sitting unused at some location for who knows how long..l.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:36 PM   #17
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does Tik ToK mean in youth slang that I don’t understand? Should we be making these comment in that new ground breaking social media platform Facebook that my parents are raving about ?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #18
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
What does Tik ToK mean in youth slang that I don’t understand? Should we be making these comment in that new ground breaking social media platform Facebook that my parents are raving about ?
Tik Tok is the Chinese social media app that will steal all your personal information and give it to the Chinese government. As opposed to all the US-based social media apps that steal your personal information and sell it to the highest bidder.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #19
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Anyone else go to the A&W on Glenmore and McLeod? There's been a blue mini van parked there with a for sale sign for as long as I can remember, right in the corner where everyone drives by.

It's really weird, as it's been there so long the written info in the for sale signs aren't even legible anymore.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote