Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://goo.gl/maps/w7hh45hoqMkntQVZA

I think it was down this unmarked road here. Back in '96 there was not an "Area 51 Alien Center", which is a bit of a dead giveaway, though the entrance is still unmarked. I think there may have been a lone gas station and a sign "Amargosa", which was my key info. Anyway, if you look at the satellite view you can see the security gate. No Google street view on that road...

https://goo.gl/maps/Soriq1sYFQ5spypa9
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny with area 51 which was used as a test center.

I'm sure that people saw the original U-2 test flights as a UFO originally because it was such a departure from the planes of the time.

With the A-12 a plane flying at mach 2.0 and rocketing to the edge of space probably looked extremely alien. Same with the D21-tag line which was an early un manned drone.

The F-117 which at the time would have looked extremely extra terrestrial would have flown out of that area as well.

There are even rumors now that area 51 is the test ground for the hyper sonic flight program including the Aurora SF-91 and other hyper sonic projects.

I firmly believe that half the time pilots seeing UFO's are either seeing explained phenomon or in some areas things they aren't cleared for.

Do I believe in UFO's and Aliens? Sure, you'd be foolish to think that we're alone out here. But I also believe that what we'd see we might not even recognize. Its pretty crazy to believe that an alien race would develop technology that looked similar to our own technology (IE metal UFOs), space ship spaced craft. Its just as likely that an alien ship would be indistinguishable to anything that we'd recognize.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #43
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Sorry missed this, David Fravor wouldn't know more than you or I on black projects, Area 51 is for these type of developments
A black project is a possibility of course. It would be nice if we had a clear and defined explanation for every new propulsion system the govt has invented.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #44
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
sorry, but the burden of proof does not fall onto all rational, logical thinking people to 'prove' to you what some guy thinks he may have seen once as not being an extraterrestrial spacecraft.

do you believe every story from some guy who saw a thing at night? where do you draw the line? ghosts? vampires? leprechauns? god? unicorns?
That comment came from Navy pilot David Fravor. There are many in the military that have seen things they cannot explain and are open to the possibility of the existance of UFO's and aliens. I've been following this subject for close to 40 years.

Do I believe everything I read? Of course not. But that doesn't mean I have a closed mind to subjects like this. I've been ridiculed for what I've believed in the past and i'm sure Fravor has too. It comes with the territory

I don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer on this.

Last edited by Dion; 07-14-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #45
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny how Alien sightings have gone way down since everyone has a camera on them.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #46
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Funny how Alien sightings have gone way down since everyone has a camera on them.
The Nimitz incident is interesting

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #47
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On what? If you believe Aliens are visiting earth I can't help you
Quote:
UFO's are a real phenomenon, but let me know when an alien from another planet is in one!
Quote:
My stance is it's impossible for living beings to travel between star systems, I base this on the laws of physics that the entire universe works on.

I suppose there could be a small possibility that 10's or even 100's of thousand of years ago some alien race set out probes to visit us but live alien beings flying them simply isn't possible.
Quote:
Hmmm...a true man of science might be skeptical of aliens but would certainly have to allow for the possibility that our understanding of the laws of physics to be flawed. Seems unlikely that one would be so staunchly offended by the very idea of "alien sightings".

On the other hand, an alien hiding among us would have a real incentive to want to shut down any such conversation and push us away from the truth. Are you one of them? Or just a human collaborator stooge?
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look, for all we know an alien is sitting in your living right right now staring at you. It could be that funny looking spider sitting in the upper corner of your living room. Or it could be that the alien exists in a way that we can't see it with our vision. or it could be 2 dimensional.

Maybe their space ships look like old HP laser printers that you see in the junk yard, or that rock that you fired out of your lawn mower.

For all you know that particularly realistic erotic dream you had last night was due to alien experimentation.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #49
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Look, for all we know an alien is sitting in your living right right now staring at you. It could be that funny looking spider sitting in the upper corner of your living room. Or it could be that the alien exists in a way that we can't see it with our vision. or it could be 2 dimensional.

Maybe their space ships look like old HP laser printers that you see in the junk yard, or that rock that you fired out of your lawn mower.

For all you know that particularly realistic erotic dream you had last night was due to alien experimentation.
I found him!

Old 07-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With Max Wights death this month its sad to go back and see that all of the actors hated being on that show, and right after the last shot there was no wrap up party as everyone just said thank god and went their separate ways.

But I digress.

I remember back when we were younger, before the internet there was always a lot more in terms of things that made you wonder, you'd hear about mysterious sightings or stories and you'd see the rag sheets promoting them.

I still remember when I was in the army we did a mountain comms exercise and we were all exhausted after a long day of climbing and hauling equipment up a mountain. We were sittting around that night and we all saw a light doing weird gyrations and zig zags in the sky that we couldn't explain. And we all started just naturally exaggerating what we saw.

But it was probably a atmospheric condition distorting the lights from Calgary in the distance.

Now you can pretty much go the internet and look up some of the crazier UFO stories from the past and get pretty rational explanations.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
With Max Wights death this month its sad to go back and see that all of the actors hated being on that show, and right after the last shot there was no wrap up party as everyone just said thank god and went their separate ways.
You have to admit though that the series finale was pretty awesome. They left the cliff hanger as ALF getting captured under the idea that they were going to experiment on him expose him to torture. The writers thought that if they left a big cliff hanger like that, it would stop the network from cancelling the show.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #52
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
My stance is it's impossible for living beings to travel between star systems, I base this on the laws of physics that the entire universe works on.

I suppose there could be a small possibility that 10's or even 100's of thousand of years ago some alien race set out probes to visit us but live alien beings flying them simply isn't possible.
A civilization hundreds or thousands of years more advanced than ours probably could travel light years in ways we could only dream of in sci-fi movies, even though they're still not likely to reach earth, specifically. Point being that the laws of physics that we currently understand won't likely be the laws of physics that make quick travel impossible.

We're dealing with space travel in terms of a few decades of serious attempts. That's a nano second in the history of a solar system, with literally billions of stars and planets out there.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-14-2019 at 09:30 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty arrogant to think any sufficiently advanced species would give 2 snots about us. They are busy partying on the planets that have chics with 3 or more boobs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pretty arrogant to think any sufficiently advanced species would give 2 snots about us. They are busy partying on the planets that have chics with 3 or more boobs.
Is that Risa or The Last Resort bar on Mars?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #55
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you heard about that Earth place? It has a river valley, a power plant and a large mall. Check out its main image in Google. Why would we travel 2.54 million light years to go see that?

If I had enough rewards points I wouldn’t use em to go there.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
You have to admit though that the series finale was pretty awesome. They left the cliff hanger as ALF getting captured under the idea that they were going to experiment on him expose him to torture. The writers thought that if they left a big cliff hanger like that, it would stop the network from cancelling the show.

Didn't they do a TV movie after that that pretty much ignored his capture.

I could be fuzzy on that.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #57
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A civilization hundreds or thousands of years more advanced than ours probably could travel light years in ways we could only dream of in sci-fi movies, even though they're still not likely to reach earth, specifically. Point being that the laws of physics that we currently understand won't likely be the laws of physics that make quick travel impossible.

We're dealing with space travel in terms of a few decades of serious attempts. That's a nano second in the history of a solar system, with literally billions of stars and planets out there.
The laws of physics are defined by what the universe shows us, even if an advanced life form figured out a way to go light speed it's simply not survivable. If an object tries to travel 186,000 MPS, its mass becomes infinite,(so does the energy required to move it) For this reason, no normal object can travel as fast or faster than the speed of light. The hardest diamond on earth would turn to invisible molecule dust.

Lets say a civilization in the Proxima Centauri system found a way to travel 1/10 the speed of light (670 million MPH) and live to tell about it, it would still take them over 42 years to reach earth, and that's just our closest star system.

Why would they bother?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #58
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would they bother?
Tacos and Thai food
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #59
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the Bob Lazar documentary and found it to be pretty boring. He's not exactly a ball of energy when he talks and I was pretty uninterested in him and what he had to say.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #60
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
The laws of physics are defined by what the universe shows us, even if an advanced life form figured out a way to go light speed it's simply not survivable. If an object tries to travel 186,000 MPS, its mass becomes infinite,(so does the energy required to move it) For this reason, no normal object can travel as fast or faster than the speed of light. The hardest diamond on earth would turn to invisible molecule dust.

Lets say a civilization in the Proxima Centauri system found a way to travel 1/10 the speed of light (670 million MPH) and live to tell about it, it would still take them over 42 years to reach earth, and that's just our closest star system.

Why would they bother?
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote