Apparently McCauley is ahead of you on this one

https://www.instagram.com/p/B04MLVuA...d=lilys0j2fujh my
I thought it was going to be this, I have a feeling you’ll enjoy it:

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #62
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

At this point I'm only really keeping Netflix around for the children's shows. Looks like I'll be able to cancel it and save a couple of bucks per month with Disney+ instead
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #63
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, with tree kids under 5 it’s a no brainer. We probably would’ve spent that much on the Disney Blurays in a year.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #64
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish TV and films were like music (Apple and Spotify) whereby you could just get everything in once place. It's gonna end up being you need like 7 or 8 different streaming services at once (probably will end up being sold in packages like cable) to get all the content. Silliness.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #65
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I wish TV and films were like music (Apple and Spotify) whereby you could just get everything in once place. It's gonna end up being you need like 7 or 8 different streaming services at once (probably will end up being sold in packages like cable) to get all the content. Silliness.

If you sail the high seas and use Plex, it's exactly that. Hollywood still hasn't figured out that it's convenience that drives piracy, not money. I pay $10/mo for all the music I'll ever want to listen to and it's way easier than downloading torrents, so it's an easy choice. I get all of my PC games on sale through Steam with automatic updates, cloud saves, achievements, etc. And right now I subscribe for Amazon Prime and Netflix, so it's not like I'm against paying for TV. But there's a limit, and for anything else not on those services that I might be interested that's where Plex fills the gap
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #66
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I can't quite tell by that article (probably because it's early) if they are suggesting the bundle is available in other countries or just the US. With all PG and mostly kid content I'd want the bundle with HULU or else not worth it.
That bundle was announced a while ago and includes ESPN so I’m thinking US only.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #67
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I get why we have to pay for all the services but but would be great if we could get one app that lets you browse movies/shows available in the services you subscribe to.

Shaw Blue Sky has that a bit with Netflix integration so you can see the HBO/Crave stuff with the Netflix in one place. The UX is terrible though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #68
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I get why we have to pay for all the services but but would be great if we could get one app that lets you browse movies/shows available in the services you subscribe to.

Shaw Blue Sky has that a bit with Netflix integration so you can see the HBO/Crave stuff with the Netflix in one place. The UX is terrible though.
Use Just Watch, it allows you to pick your providers and see what's trending or filter based on what kind of content you are looking for.

You can also search a movie or TV show and see what service it plays on.

https://www.justwatch.com/ca
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #69
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I do use Just Watch and it's great.

It'd be nice to have it on the TV so the family could see it all without huddling around the laptop/phone before hand and just launch the movie when a decision has been made (after 45 minutes of arguing).
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would hope that when Disney + comes to Canada, that Shaw will add it to their packages and the UX.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #71
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That bundle was announced a while ago and includes ESPN so I’m thinking US only.
I'm hoping that Disney can work out a deal with Bell where they can create a similar bundle with TSN and Crave included since TSN carries most ESPN content and Crave has a lot of Hulu's exclusives.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #72
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'm hoping that Disney can work out a deal with Bell where they can create a similar bundle with TSN and Crave included since TSN carries most ESPN content and Crave has a lot of Hulu's exclusives.

Unless Bell gets off their ass and creates a worthwhile app for TSN I don't see that happening. No Android TV or Fire TV support, can only Chromecast from a browser, no pause or rewind capability. They've lagged so far behind Rogers Sportsnet here it's embarrassing
Old 08-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #73
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Going to be interesting to see how well this does. For me, I'm not adding an extra streaming service to my monthly bills when I already have Netflix and the content on Disney+ doesn't really appeal to me enough.
When you consider Netflix has gone from $7.99 to $15.99 a month over the last ten years, you have to really ask yourself if the content has improved in comparison. For me, at $15.99, I just don't think Netflix gives you enough anymore when held up against the other streaming providers.

I was willing to accept it for what it was at $10.99, $12.99 etc but at nearly $200 a year now, it is simply not worth it for me. I'll give Disney + a shot given it is cheap (at least to start) and you know there will be a wealth of quality content that isn't going to be pulled like what seems to happen often on Netflix now.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #74
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem for Netflix is they created this market originally by leveraging everybody else's content.

And were almost too successful because all the original content creators went "Wait, why aren't we doing that ourselves with all our own content".

So at that point Netflix either had to give up huge contracts to keep big content on their platform (ex.https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/ne...0-million.html), while also needing to quickly invest huge money into their own original content to get a catalog because they had no back catalog ($15B spent this year).

Drove their costs, and prices up. But now new competitors are coming back in at more reasonable prices because they have years and years of back catalog available that costs them nothing really and allows them to fill up their OTT service with content.

It's going to be interesting because in a couple years I'm guessing you will have 10+ major streaming services (WB/HBO, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, NBCUniversal, Amazon, Apple, DAZN, CBA/Viacom, Youtube, etc)

OTT will likely replace traditional cable from a delivery sense but I feel like people are going to want a "cable type" provider where they can bundle services together, or have everything unified on a single log in / ecosystem.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #75
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Unless Bell gets off their ass and creates a worthwhile app for TSN I don't see that happening. No Android TV or Fire TV support, can only Chromecast from a browser, no pause or rewind capability. They've lagged so far behind Rogers Sportsnet here it's embarrassing
I feel like I used to be able to chromecast TSN from the iphone app, but they intentionally removed the feature?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #76
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
When you consider Netflix has gone from $7.99 to $15.99 a month over the last ten years, you have to really ask yourself if the content has improved in comparison. For me, at $15.99, I just don't think Netflix gives you enough anymore when held up against the other streaming providers.

I was willing to accept it for what it was at $10.99, $12.99 etc but at nearly $200 a year now, it is simply not worth it for me. I'll give Disney + a shot given it is cheap (at least to start) and you know there will be a wealth of quality content that isn't going to be pulled like what seems to happen often on Netflix now.
I agree, but I think it's still worth the money if you have kids.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #77
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Fire; 08-22-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Stand Corrected
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #78
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Netflix made a mistake by making it too cheap when they first started. They are still losing money and with Disney+ and all the other competitors, they have very little chance of ever making money. They need to raise the monthly cost to $20+ but seeing how people whine when they increase their prices by a whole $1 a month it would be a tough thing to do. Making quality content isn't cheap, but are viewers willing to pay for it?
Where do you get that they are losing money. Balance sheet shows steady growth, profit reporting is generally over a quarter billion a quarter.

Last edited by gasman; 08-22-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Half a billion was too generous, but quarterly earnings tend to be around quarter billion
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #79
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Where do you get that they are losing money. Balance sheet shows steady growth, profit reporting is generally over a quarter billion a quarter.
You're right, I misread a report that was out about them losing money. The stock took a big hit but they're making a profit.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #80
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes please.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1165064346054979584

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote