Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #21
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
Where did the black superman suit go?

And in BvS, where batman was having the dream that the flash appeared in, he was told that lois lane was the key to everything.. So she ended up just being the key to fixing superman? Lots of disconnections in the movie.

I think the best part was showcasing WW abilities in the beginning, by stopping all of the bullets shot from the automatic rifle.
Showcasing an ability that didn't come into play afterward at all.

Lois Lane also seems to be half of a woman without Supes around. I thought that the whole point of her historically was that she was a force to be reckoned with all on her own.

After some thought, I think that the problem with this movie (for me) was that there was a constant level of disconnect throughout the whole thing. They should have cut this movie into twenty tiny movies to be played before every WB film over the course of a year.

No flow.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #22
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of BvS, it kind of hinted that Superman was alive.

Why did they need to use this cube to bring him back to life?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #23
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I knew they would shoe horn a GL in, did it at least look good?

After reading the reviews I'm going to wait for Netflix on this one.
Shoe horn? it was perfect how they put the green lantern corps into the movie.

I thought it was decent. Deathstroke at the end was flipping awesome!

The best part of the movie though was them battling Superman. The Flash realizing that Supes was just as fast of him, and his facial expression was great! He is definitely a way better actor than the guy who plays the Flash on the TV show.

I hope we NEVER see Darkseid in a movie. I hate these intergalatic foes, like Thanos, Ronin, Galactus, StephenKingWolf and Kurt Russell.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 11-20-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #24
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
At the end of BvS, it kind of hinted that Superman was alive.

Why did they need to use this cube to bring him back to life?
It was like a super duper defibrillator for him!

I still like B vs S way more though. I like dark gloomy movies and none of that comedy stuff Marvel puts out.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one scene that no one is talking about but I think is so freaking cool is how Bruce is turning Wayne Manor into the Hall of Justice at the end. We will need a table with 6 chairs ....but room for more! Part of me is sad we aren't getting the satellite headquarters.

Also the Aquaman sitting on the lasso of truth was a great scene.

If they give JL2 to a great director it has potential to be leaps and bounds better than this one. I much prefer real villains as opposed to CGI villains like Steppenwolf. Plus having a team of super villains facing a team of super hero's hasn't been done before. I just hope this makes enough money for WB to make a sequel.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:36 AM   #26
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Lois Lane also seems to be half of a woman without Supes around. I thought that the whole point of her historically was that she was a force to be reckoned with all on her own.
See, I felt that while she is a force to be reckoned with, given that JL seems to be taking place nearly immediately after to, at most, 6 months after Superman/Clark died...that I'm ok with giving her some time to grieve.

'Cause, you know, the man she loved, lived with, worked beside, intended to marry and likely never thought would die...died. Recently. She may even feel a bit like she had some part in it (she handed him the kryptonite spear...) She likely sees reminders every time she goes home. Still works where they worked.

So I'm ok with her not leaping back into work and banging out Pulitzer prize-winning articles the very next day. To me, it makes total sense that she seems a bit lost and adrift.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #27
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey guys

so i want to go see this movie, but... do i need to have seen other movies first?

i've seen...
superman man of steel
wonderwoman
the first season and a half of the flash tv show

have not seen batman vs superman

also - i wasn't really into comics as a kid. will i be completely lost in the movie and not have a clue what's going on?

my justice league memories are limited to this...

Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say it's safe to watch it without any additional info.

The Flash in the movie isn't the same as the tv show, although, their histories are pretty much the same.

All you really need to know from BvS is that Superman is dead at the end of the movie (which is made pretty clear in the opening scenes of Justice League) and Batman has been tracking other super-powered people who have been popping up around the world.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #29
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I’m a big JLA fan from way back. Didn’t love the movie. Not even sure that I liked it. I guess the first 1/3 was pretty good. It just seemed to miss most of the time for me. I was also watching it on very little sleep from the night before so maybe I need to see it when I’m not in walking zombie mode.

Also, Ben Affleck’s Batman really bugs me. I find him super distracting.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #30
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Am I the only one who didn't like super cool Aquaman throwing his empty whisky bottle in the ocean? It reminded me of that scene in Anchorman where they all just litter with authority to show how cool they are.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #31
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So some friends wanted to go see it and I broke down and joined them, I just couldn't help myself. Honestly, overall, I didn't hate it.

Is it a great movie? No. Is it a good movie? No... did I find it entertaining? Yes.

I just had to put blinders on and ignore the big gaping holes and it was actually a very fun movie. The humor was way over the top, like shove down your throat bad, they completely botched the Flash and Loboman was just a bit much for me. Affleck's Bruce Wayne continues to be horrible and the CGIed baddie looked like a PS2 game cut scene.

However, I really liked the new Superman, I thought Wonder Woman was good again, Cyborg was absolutely on point, spot on nailed it, the comic book nerd in me absolutely loved hearing Batman use the phrase "contingency plan" and I thought the overall tone and the ending were well done. I definitely felt like they were a team by the end and although they had a lot to fit in 2 hours they did a decent job of showing some growing pains for the League.

They helped correct the ship from where it was heading in BvS, DC has always been light, colorful and just.. whole some. I think they are on the right track now. I just.. don't look forward to any movie with the Flash in it, I am having trouble getting over how bad it was.

I loved the flash back scene with the GL, nice little reference there that was well done and the actual gods fighting with them as well was cool. But the best part of the whole movie though was the 1989 Batman theme sneaking it's way in, I was just so giddy when I heard that. Perfect timing to. Overall I am just glad that I was able to derive some unexpected enjoyment from the movie.

Also just to add, that wasn't Salaak that died fighting Steppenwolf, not sure which Lantern it was, but definitely not him. I thought it would be really weird for them to kill him off as he is a big part of the GL universe.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #32
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So some friends wanted to go see it and I broke down and joined them, I just couldn't help myself. Honestly, overall, I didn't hate it.

Is it a great movie? No. Is it a good movie? No... did I find it entertaining? Yes.

I just had to put blinders on and ignore the big gaping holes and it was actually a very fun movie. The humor was way over the top, like shove down your throat bad, they completely botched the Flash and Loboman was just a bit much for me. Affleck's Bruce Wayne continues to be horrible and the CGIed baddie looked like a PS2 game cut scene.

However, I really liked the new Superman, I thought Wonder Woman was good again, Cyborg was absolutely on point, spot on nailed it, the comic book nerd in me absolutely loved hearing Batman use the phrase "contingency plan" and I thought the overall tone and the ending were well done. I definitely felt like they were a team by the end and although they had a lot to fit in 2 hours they did a decent job of showing some growing pains for the League.

They helped correct the ship from where it was heading in BvS, DC has always been light, colorful and just.. whole some. I think they are on the right track now. I just.. don't look forward to any movie with the Flash in it, I am having trouble getting over how bad it was.

I loved the flash back scene with the GL, nice little reference there that was well done and the actual gods fighting with them as well was cool. But the best part of the whole movie though was the 1989 Batman theme sneaking it's way in, I was just so giddy when I heard that. Perfect timing to. Overall I am just glad that I was able to derive some unexpected enjoyment from the movie.

Also just to add, that wasn't Salaak that died fighting Steppenwolf, not sure which Lantern it was, but definitely not him. I thought it would be really weird for them to kill him off as he is a big part of the GL universe.
Your right, I thought it was but I guess it's a Lantern named Yalan Gur. I stopped reading GL shortly after Johns left the book so my GL knowledge is not the best. I was thinking that John Krasinski would make a great Hal Jordan. I'm worried that the poor box office results will kill another Green Lantern movie.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #33
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

They need to do the next green lantern movie like a 90s cop movie throw back. Two partners figuring it out on the fly busting skulls and solving crimes. Ignore the inter galactic part just for now, establish some heroes people actually like first.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #34
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked it more than expected. Flash was great. The repeated focus on Wonder Woman's, err, assets was cheap.

Aquaman is DC's Wolverine. Should make for a good, gritty solo film.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I liked it more than expected. Flash was great. The repeated focus on Wonder Woman's, err, assets was cheap.

Aquaman is DC's Wolverine. Should make for a good, gritty solo film.
I liked the movie but this was obvious and stupid.. Surprised a bigger deal not being made of it. Couldn't tell you what pants Flash or Bruce Wayne were wearing but I became very familiar with Diana's.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #36
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Watched this weekend. Really don't get the hate. The movie had a simple and straightforward plot. Didn't feel disjointed at all. The only thing I would have cut was Aquaman going to Atlantis. That should have been saved for the solo movie.

Overall I felt like the movie was a very safe superhero movie. I'd put it slightly above Age of Ultron in terms of quality.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #37
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Watched this weekend. Really don't get the hate. The movie had a simple and straightforward plot. Didn't feel disjointed at all. The only thing I would have cut was Aquaman going to Atlantis. That should have been saved for the solo movie.

Overall I felt like the movie was a very safe superhero movie. I'd put it slightly above Age of Ultron in terms of quality.
I tend to agree with this the more I think about it, if I am comparing this to Age of Ultron I honestly can't say which one I think is better. Both followed a very similar recipe.

The Atlantis thing was very disjointed though, she said he finally returned or something? So in that moment that was the first time he had been back to Atlantis? Then the comment about him taking his mothers spot just had no weight behind it, we have no idea who this person is and why should we care about Atlantis. No build up, at least with the Amazons we had the solo WW movie to make us give a crap, and that part I thought was very well done.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #38
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tend to agree, I enjoyed JL more than Ultron, Ultron just didn't do it for me. I guess there was a ton of stuff about Atlantis that was cut including all of William Dafoes role but he will be in the solo film . Nicole Kidman will be playing Queen Atlanna (mom of Aquaman) plus Ivan Drago himself Dolph Lungran will be in the Aquaman movie. Shaping up to have an amazing cast.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #39
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would almost agree with the 'better than Ultron' tag, if the JL dialogue wasn't so wooden.

I'm also starting to think that the distancing that Affleck has been doing with WB, looks pretty good on Affleck. He has worked on solid scripts and knows how to put together a good movie himself as a director. The way WB played with JL must leave him horrified.

He definitely wasn't his normal self during the promotion of the movie. He's always been one of the funniest guys in any panel. Wasn't for this.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #40
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally went to see this, I was looking for excuses not to but I broke down and went to see it. I thought it was really funny...but not ha ha funny. Everything felt so forced, they were trying to be "edgy" and cool but it just wasn't good IMO. It did have some bright spots but it just wasn't good overall. They butchered the Flash, he should be funny and smart and just...better than that. I know they weren't going to get the actor from the TV series but someone more like that would have been better, I just couldn't take anything the guy said seriously. I still think Affleck is a terri-bad batman, he would have made a great Thomas Wayne as Batman if they went with that storyline. Aqua Man isn't cool, stop trying to make him cool, he's just not. Don't get me wrong, I like Aqua Man but that wasn't him, part of what make him who he is, is the way he acts. I just don't think that was a good version of him.

I was so disappointed in the movie that as soon as the credits started I left and I missed the post credit scenes. Overall I'd give the movie a solid 4/10 but at least it's like an F+