Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Default 2013 Skiing Thread

Tips for using ski swaps to get the most for your early season money
Getting into skiing can be a wallet-busting proposal, so choose the right deals to make it affordable

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Ti...128/story.html

The Calgary New and Used Ski Sale takes place Oct. 19 to 21 at the Max Bell Arenas, www.skisale.ca. The Calgary Vancouver Snow Show takes place Nov. 3 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Nov. 4 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Equi-Plex, Spruce Meadows
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Louise Plus Card on sale now:

http://www.skilouise.com/louise_cards.php

Sunshine:

http://www.skibanff.com/liftpasses/s...-marmot-cards/

Last edited by troutman; 10-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for starting the thread!
Is ski cellar having a tent sale again this year? I couldn't find any info.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
mrbanffgirl
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Troutman, this started 2 weeks too late!!

FYI, Banff Alpine Racers has 2 of the BEST ski swaps each year (Canmore and Banff) these 2 just finished up last weekend, but keep your eyes peeled for the swaps next year (usually end of Sept, early Oct.) TONS of good quality gear and great prices! (I bought 3 pairs of skis and a pair of race boots for my oldest daughter who races, a Pair of powder skis for my wife, a pair of slalom skis and new boots for me, and pair of tiny boots for my 2 year old... All for $400, and none of it is crap!!)

If you are heading out to any of the city, or shop swaps or sales, do homework ahead of time.
BOOTS: Know what boot size you are (in shoe size, us boot size and sole length). Boots are by far the most important piece of equipment you'll buy. If you have a pressure point, or the used boots you are holding are tight, and you are hoping they will pack out, they are the wrong boots for you. nothing worse that losing toenails, and getting frostbite due to crap boots.

SKIS: be realistic as to what type of skier you are, even if you have skied all your life, and you get out a bunch during the season, a stiff race ski is NOT for you!! (saw alot of this at the BAR swaps) well i cant speck to length of ski (varies on height weight and skier type) look over your possible purchase closely. If the set up looks kind of old, don't but them. Lots of bindings out there at swaps are out of date, and ski shops won't service them or re-mount them to fit your boots. Look at the edges, make sure that they are not all chewed up. take a look at the thickness of the edge when viewed from the base. the thickness ate the middle of the ski should be fairly close to the same as at the tip (if it is thin, the skis have been through the tuning machine way too many times, and are likely to blow out)
if the skis are 'straight skis' (meaning very little curve on the sides) don't buy them unless you plan to cross them over your mantle.

POLES: if they are totally beat up and have a kink in them, don't buy them. Kinks mean they have likely been bent, and the first good spill you take you will have parts of poles.
To get the right length of pole, flip the poles upside down so that basket in near your hand. Grab the pole so your hand is just under the basket. If you are standing straight, your fore arm should be just upwards of 90 degrees (takes into account your ski and boot height)

HELMETS: Now i don't buy used helmets myself (yuck) if you are going to buy one, look it over for cracks, deep scratches etc. If it has one of these, put it back. Damaged skid lids are dangerous, and will not protect you properly. If you find one that looks good. put it on, do it up snugly, and do the 'Yes / No' motion quickly. if it moves around a bunch, it is too big, and will not protect. If you put it on, and you feel like your a pudgy kid squeezing his cheeks together, likely it is too small.

Lastly, the only down side to ski swaps is that there are a ton of people looking to make out like bandits. If you are in the market, go early, pay the $10 for the earlybird entry and get to the good stuff before the punters do.
Know your Budget! and shop around the stores prior to the swap, lot's of people selling at swaps are looking to get 80% of their money back on a ski that has 40% of it's life left in it.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to see an early start to this thread, thanks troutman!

I'm hoping to get into some backcountry skiing this year. You earn your turns, but each one is worth the effort.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't know if it is because of Global Warming or not, but the last two seasons we had exceptional snow. Can we expect more of the same?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't know if it is because of Global Warming or not, but the last two seasons we had exceptional snow. Can we expect more of the same?
I hope not. I have a torn ACL and this would make me very bitter.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Heading to Whistler for 7 days at the end of January. Going to be my first time there and I'm really excited.
Woo!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone get any new gear at the Ski Swap?

I got some touring boots (Scarpa Denali TT) on half price Sunday! They were a total steal at $106 (I was half expecting something to go wrong at the cashier and was looking over my shoulder as I walked back to my car) and don't look like they've ever been used.

They fit like a glove and are very lightweight. I can't wait to take them out to K-country.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I need to get a helmet this year.
I've been skiing since I was 5 years old and never had a helmet but two seasons ago I did the most difficult run I've ever done in my life in Solitude (apparently Delirium is a blue compared to this, according to my buddy that was with me, I've never done Delirium cause I don't have a beacon) and although I made it down without incident, ever since I've been looking for a helmet.

Last season I couldn't really afford it but this season I have no excuses.

The trick is finding one that doesn't make me look like a ###### which is impossible.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I need to get a helmet this year.
I've been skiing since I was 5 years old and never had a helmet but two seasons ago I did the most difficult run I've ever done in my life in Solitude (apparently Delirium is a blue compared to this, according to my buddy that was with me, I've never done Delirium cause I don't have a beacon) and although I made it down without incident, ever since I've been looking for a helmet.

Last season I couldn't really afford it but this season I have no excuses.

The trick is finding one that doesn't make me look like a ###### which is impossible.
Well since at least 80% of the people out there are wearing helmets now, it's pretty easy to find one that looks good. I've always had Pro-tec helmets and I've always liked them. I actually really just don't get it when people don't wear helmets now, I'm warmer in them than toques and I'm much, much safer. They've saved me from a few injuries over the years, mainly from trees when I'm going a little too reckless in the backcountry.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I never wore one before cause I never really felt the danger of it all before. Young and stupid and what not...
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nakiska has a tentative opening date of Saturday =)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I haven't been to Nakiska in ages.
Every time I went I remember half the mountain being closed.

Pretty crazy that it's almost ski season though!!

I see on their website that Nakiska is getting a ski cross world cup event? That could be cool. Wonder what runs that course would use?

Last edited by polak; 10-22-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I haven't been to Nakiska in ages.
Every time I went I remember half the mountain being closed.

Pretty crazy that it's almost ski season though!!

I see on their website that Nakiska is getting a ski cross world cup event? That could be cool. Wonder what runs that course would use?
They had the Canadian championships last year as a test event for the World Cup this year, it was on Maverick which is a one of my favorite runs at Nakiska. It does usually take a while for the whole hill to get open but one of really good things is once a run is open your bases are usually pretty safe from rocks and such (which is nice for my race skis) haha.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody know anything more about the chatter regarding the Provincial Government looking to charge user fees for Kananaskis trails in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park area. Will this also extend to include all K-Country. Whistler just lowered their back country fee that they charge to $10 per car and some States have back country user fees and snow passes/permits. How do they enforce this and is it worth it....Likely just push people further back into the back country.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Making the move back to skis after 10+ as a snowboarder.

Picked up a full set-up at the new & used sale on Friday. Just have to say that this has to be the best way of getting into the sport and I will be a frequent supporter in the future. Picked up some park skis for $20! The bindings alone are probably worth 10X that.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
I hope not. I have a torn ACL and this would make me very bitter.
Funny (not for you though) - I'm just over a year past ACL and meniscus reconstructive surgery and chomping at the bit to get out on skis again. Though my newborn daughter who should be arriving on the scene any day now may have other ideas, at least for the first few weeks.....
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My new deck just arrived and I'm thinking about getting a new jacket and helmet this year. I'll be posting 2 snowboards for sale shortly for anyone looking for one .

I've been contemplating a trip to Jackson Hole this year - has anyone been there? Have any thoughts on the place? Where to stay etc?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
My new deck just arrived and I'm thinking about getting a new jacket and helmet this year. I'll be posting 2 snowboards for sale shortly for anyone looking for one .

I've been contemplating a trip to Jackson Hole this year - has anyone been there? Have any thoughts on the place? Where to stay etc?
What kind of board did you get?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote