Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #1001
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Thanks. If there's one thing that Bridgeland could use, it's a grocery store. Doesn't need to be high-end though.
I believe its Sunterra. I was looking into leasing a bay there a couple years ago. A friend of mine knows the Remington team well and he was told it was most likely going to be a Sunterra Market.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #1002
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Shaw Court should be torn down. That architectural tumour is single-handedly bringing the morale of the country down every single day it exists.
The renovation concept is even more a tumor.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #1003
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
I believe its Sunterra. I was looking into leasing a bay there a couple years ago. A friend of mine knows the Remington team well and he was told it was most likely going to be a Sunterra Market.
Sunterra is definitively pretty nice, although often I really wish we just had an urban-format Superstore or something in the inner city. There are plenty of higher-end places to get groceries, but not really anything on the lower end. Safeway is probably it, and even that can be a little pricey.

I would be an extremely happy man if Trader Joes ever made it across the border.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #1004
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sunterra is definitively pretty nice, although often I really wish we just had an urban-format Superstore or something in the inner city. There are plenty of higher-end places to get groceries, but not really anything on the lower end. Safeway is probably it, and even that can be a little pricey.

I would be an extremely happy man if Trader Joes ever made it across the border.
There will be a large Loblaws in the RioCan development in the East Village.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #1005
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never shopped at Loblaws, but I do follow their law blog.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #1006
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The renovation concept is even more a tumor.

Holy god. How does something that atrocious get past the Development Permit phase.

Who is the architect on this?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #1007
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably Jim Shaw. That looks like one of those design projects where the CEO is really "hands on".
Old 03-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #1008
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy god. How does something that atrocious get past the Development Permit phase.

It's not really much different from what exists right now. Thankfully Eau Claire Tower and the 7 tower project to the north will hide it finally.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=calgar...6.81,,0,-15.56
Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #1009
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It's not really much different from what exists right now. Thankfully Eau Claire Tower and the 7 tower project to the north will hide it finally.
Nope, it looks worse.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #1010
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
It turns out my senior partner who has a close relationship with Shaw knew about this a few weeks ago and has already had meetings with senior management about what alternatives they have now that 3 Eau Claire is dead. Shaw might just reconfigure their current premises with the renovations their doing to Shaw Court but I doubt they could reconfigure all 240,000SF into Shaw Court.

Right now they are in about 6 floors at Scotia Centre with that lease coming up in 2016. The original plan was to relocate that group to 3 Eau Claire but now things are up in the air. Harvest Operations just took 143,000SF in Scotia and got a screaming deal from Cominar REIT (The Landlord). Shaw may extend their lease or look at options closer to Shaw Court.
Oh good, they can continue to clog up the worst elevator system on the planet in Scotia.

Thankfully we are out of that s-hole later this year.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #1011
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
There will be a large Loblaws in the RioCan development in the East Village.
Which East Village lot is this?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #1012
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's an existing building. Probably about 20 years old. This just shows some minor renovations.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #1013
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which East Village lot is this?
Between 3rd and 4th Street and 5th and 6th Avenues.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #1014
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It's an existing building. Probably about 20 years old. This just shows some minor renovations.
Well yeah.... I know that.

It's still awful 20 years later, just like it was when it opened up.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #1015
EYE_Overstand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it confirmed 3 eau Claire is scrapped?
EYE_Overstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #1016
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. If there's one thing that Bridgeland could use, it's a grocery store. Doesn't need to be high-end though.
That, or an extension of the St. Patrick's Island bridge that goes over Memorial Drive.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #1017
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
The current building isn't bad. It has congruity and continuity to it. It looks like a classic 80s/90s transition building defined by the extra color (green, red, etc.) with some sandstone architecture in it to fit in with the Calgary vibe. I think the jutting glass has continuity with the pyramid cap to the building and it looks nice and fits in with the era in which it was built. It's not a super nice building but it's pretty okay and definitely makes me think early 90s. It's still much better than the brutalism of many of our concrete/brick monsters from the 70s and early 80s.

In my opinion, the new concept looks like what happens when old malls get facelifts where they bolt a bunch of stupid looking metal panels onto the brick facade. The renovation concept isn't very good and makes the building look significantly worse than it's current state. The current building is already very busy with two disparate elements fighting in it (the sandstone and the glass). The new concept is just a mess, introducing even more clashing and obviously bolted on features that don't blend, augment, or complement each other.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #1018
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Between 3rd and 4th Street and 5th and 6th Avenues.
Hmm, that's right across the street from the Drop in Centre/Cecil lot.

I've been curious about this for awhile. Have there been any discussions with with city regarding the future of the drop in centre? I have heard of some people and businesses who have voiced concerns with moving into the East Village because of the large homeless population that drifts and loiters around the area or is found sleeping on the riverbanks and along the new board walk areas that have been built up. With the revitalisation and incumbent gentrification of this area, I wonder if things are going to change, if it will be moved, or if everything will work together.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-15-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #1019
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The current building isn't bad. It has congruity and continuity to it. It looks like a classic 80s/90s transition building defined by the extra color (green, red, etc.) with some sandstone architecture in it to fit in with the Calgary vibe. I think the jutting glass has continuity with the pyramid cap to the building and it looks nice and fits in with the era in which it was built. It's not a super nice building but it's pretty okay and definitely makes me think early 90s. It's still much better than the brutalism of many of our concrete/brick monsters from the 70s and early 80s.

In my opinion, the new concept looks like what happens when old malls get facelifts where they bolt a bunch of stupid looking metal panels onto the brick facade. The renovation concept isn't very good and makes the building look significantly worse than it's current state. The current building is already very busy with two disparate elements fighting in it (the sandstone and the glass). The new concept is just a mess, introducing even more clashing and obviously bolted on features that don't blend, augment, or complement each other.
Your description gives me the same feeling I get when using my Shaw PVR.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #1020
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Your description gives me the same feeling I get when using my Shaw PVR.
There's a CPer who is responsible for that