Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The easiest solution is just to have the government take it all when you die. Then no one can complain.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #62
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't the govennment though that just decided to rip up the Will and redistribute the estate. It was the children who got shafted by the Will that took issue with how the estate was divided based on their equal or more-so help in creating that wealth that was now being given to just the two male offspring.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #63
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really don't see the outrage here. Isn't it reasonable for the law to presume some form of equality in the first place? If the testator wants to divide the estate differently, that might be an issue. As our man Troutman suggested, better take great notes and indicate why the split is different. If there are legit reasons, great. If not, and the brothers don't agree to an equitable split, why shouldn't the daughters fight it?

It's not like this is happening all over the place by an "activist" court. I am sure millions, if not billions worth of dispositions are dealt with every year in Alberta with nary a peep. Probably most just split it up evenly without much more than a second thought.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #64
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why you poison your siblings.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #65
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wouldn't the divorce agreement have taken care of her?
I read the scenario as the wife doesn't know about the girlfriend.

Husband, runs around on wife, leaves everything to the girlfriend, wife (and kids) gets nothing.

I once heard a situation here in NS, where two people with adult children get married. The wife has an adult child with special needs which the couple take financial responsibility for (payment for the residency in the group home, etc).

Wife dies leaves everything to the husband, the husband continues to take care of the step-son with special needs.

Husband dies, but the will doesn't take into account the step-son, only his biological children.

Should the court step in and alter the will to provide for the step-son who the step-father was providing for?

Certainly.

Now in the case above, there was no malice, this was a scenario the couple didn't contemplate.

This why intentions when drafting a will are important, and a mechanism to ensure a level of fairness is needed.

Keep in mind overturning a will is incredibly difficult, and can only be done in select cases.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #66
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok thoughts on this scenario.

My Wife's grandfather owns land, he has 3 daughters but my wifes mom passed away about a year before the grandfather. Her father is still alive along with her sister but the land was set to be splitt equally was now only split between the two daughters. Sure her Mom was no longer alive but that is something that would have been passed down by her mother.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #67
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I don't know Alberta's laws around wills, but to my mind (again without looking anything up, just to me what seems fair) is that the 1/3 that would go to your mother-in-law should be split equally among your wife and her siblings (if any).

Its been a while, I feel like some provinces do that if the deceased is intestate (dies without a will).

Old 07-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #68
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I don't know Alberta's laws around wills, but to my mind (again without looking anything up, just to me what seems fair) is that the 1/3 that would go to your mother-in-law should be split equally among your wife and her siblings (if any).

Its been a while, I feel like some provinces do that if the deceased is intestate (dies without a will).
In this case there was a will and the assumption is her Grandfather didn't like her Father and changed the will as soon as her mom passed away.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #69
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends how the will was set up. It's pretty common for the parent's share to pass to their children (or "issues" in will language) if that parent predeceases whomever named them in their will. But they're not all like that. Some are written so that if one heir dies, their share is absorbed by the surviving heirs. In that case, the children of the deceased heir receive nothing.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #70
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Pretty much, yes. My grandmother died without a will, and that's how it worked. Since my dad is also dead, my sister and I would have split what would have been his share. Her debts were greater than her assets, so it didn't actually mean anything, however.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #71
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is clear that despite several comments from troutman (and a few others) many posters do not understand the difference between dying with and without a will. The former means the government will distribute your estate in accordance with the applicable estate law. The latter means that your estate will be distributed as YOU wish. Issues of fairness, equality and other outside factors should have nothing to do with how YOU want your money to be used after your death, because, theoretically it's your money and you could have spent it before you died without asking anyone for their permission or opinion. Also, in either case, anyone having a claim against the estate can still make it in court (probate process), which deals with financial issues of dead people's debts and legal obligations to other parties (dependents, estranged spouses, lovers etc.)

As I posted earlier based on the link provided by troutman, it appears that our courts are willing to give themselves more power on overwriting the wishes of the deceased, which are not encumbered by legitimate financial claims. This trend is very concerning.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #72
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

This case is unique because if the parents sold the farm and downsized, and gave the profits to their sons, the daughters would likely be able to successfully sue for their share. Since they had a hand (literally) in building the fortune. This is basically what they did.

It’s not “fairness” due to blood. It’s an equal share in a fortune they helped create, with a spoken understanding that they would be compensated.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
As I posted earlier based on the link provided by troutman, it appears that our courts are willing to give themselves more power on overwriting the wishes of the deceased, which are not encumbered by legitimate financial claims. This trend is very concerning.
This isn't really a "trend". It's been the case for decades. Also, this is wrong:
Quote:
many posters do not understand the difference between dying with and without a will. The former means the government will distribute your estate in accordance with the applicable estate law. The latter means that your estate will be distributed as YOU wish.
Regardless of whether you have a will or not, your estate is always distributed in accordance with applicable estate law. The difference is what provisions of the Wills and Succession Act apply in your particular case, and how they apply, depending on whether you have a will, when it was made, what has happened since, what it says, and many, many other factors.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #74
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This case is unique because if the parents sold the farm and downsized, and gave the profits to their sons, the daughters would likely be able to successfully sue for their share. Since they had a hand (literally) in building the fortune. This is basically what they did.

It’s not “fairness” due to blood. It’s an equal share in a fortune they helped create, with a spoken understanding that they would be compensated.
Really,

What grounds would they have sued on if there parents just transferred the title to the brothers before they died.

Unless there was some sort of verbal contract I don’t think there is some enforceable fairness clause that if you put in a lot of work for something you don’t own that you get a fair chunk if a person decides to sell the asset.

I may have missed something in the articles but where was the spoken understanding that they would be compensated equally

Last edited by GGG; 07-26-2019 at 04:23 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #75
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm only going on what people have posted here, but I would assume unjust enrichment.

If all the kids contributed equally, and the parents transferred the wealth of the business to the sons only, the daughters can sue due to unjust enrichment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: