Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Found a hotel at La Quinta Inn by Wyndham, which is attached to the Watiki Water park for $257 / night. Is that area a gong show, or safe from the mess?

Just seems so damned expensive to go down there for what likely will be almost 2000 for the 3 of us to go down, all in. Could find a cheap flight to Vancouver w hotel for that. Would hotels be cheaper any other time of the year?
It wont be a gong show but it will be busy. Where you'll see it get crazy busy is all throughout the black hills. I've done sturgis 3 times and depending what you drive and how confident of a driver you are, certain places can be tricky in a big vehicle (read needles highway).

I dont wanna scare you off of the vacation, but it will be busy in the hills unlike anything you've seen. The good news is most bikers are very respectful and there is no violence.

My one fear for you that I'm inferring is that you and the fam would like to take your time and soak in the sights and history the black hills have to offer. That will be tough to do with the sheer number of people that hit up bike week.

You'll also notice a huge price drop 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after as far as accommodations go.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

And be prepared that any trip you want to do will take about twice as long, these big groups of bikes move slow ish. Parking is also tough for vehicles but still manageable.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote