Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #41
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
When it was still pretty much a baby Expo in 2012, the owners scored a major coup in a Reunion show of the Star Trek: The Next Generation cast. It'd been 10 years since the last time they had all been together, and it was a major feat for Calgary to score it.

At the time, tickets were sold differently. You could buy a 1 day pass, but it was for ANY of the days, not a specific day pass. Also, they sold passes at the door. Since at that point they'd never filled to capacity, it was not really a big issue with them to keep track of how many people were there between the one day passes (they assumed folks would average out the day they showed up, so they weren't well tracked) and the door sales. So the only way they had of knowing how many people were actually currently, at that moment, inside was...none. They couldn't have told you a straight answer.

But the interest in the Next Generation Reunion threw everything into chaos, as everyone who had a one day pass wanted to use it for that day, and everyone who didn't have a one day pass mobbed the on-site sales.

To say that the Expo wasn't prepared for that is...an understatement. Poor line control, poor 'people traffic' management around the grounds, and many MANY more people than they could possibly handle.

It got so bad as there were so many people crammed in that they were forced to refuse entry, regardless of what kind of pass/reason you had. If you left the building for ANY reason (like, to go have a smoke) you were refused re-entry. It got bad enough that the Fire Marshal was pondering shutting the entire thing down.

Eventually the Expo and the Fire Marshall came to terms as things got dealt with, but it was a huge mess and left a lot of people quite (justifiably, imo) upset at several aspects of the Expo, as well as opening the Expo Management's eyes to the fact that their little show wasn't so little anymore.

Part of the fallout from that was the hiring of someone who's job it was was to basically redesign and reschedule the Expo and events, so that 'the crush' didn't happen again.

From part of the fixes for 'the Incident' was the creation of the Crisis/Response Team, of which I was a part of for 5 years.
It was amazing how much that ‘incident’ changed everything for the Expo. For me the next couple of years were huge, with the Middle Earth and Aliens Exposed type shows. What I really like was their ability on who they got as guests, it seemed that talent agencies were willing to deal with them because they were not a corporation.

I have heard that some agencies don’t like to deal with Fanexpo management. I know a couple of top end volunteers that “left” because of the new management.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #42
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Next Generation panel/event was the pinnacle of the Calgary Expo and they haven't really been able to get back there. Getting that group together again after 10 years was awesome.

I made it in during the day and it was a gong show. Chaos. I left and came back for the TNG show and it had calmed down but the damage was done.

The Back to the Future panel would have been a blast and from a cultural perspective is just as big as TNG. They were only missing Crispin Glover.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #43
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I have been really hoping we'd be able to get rid of those but if anything they have only grown: Ballet, Bow Valley College, HP Canada, Brewing companies, Mazda, Youth Employment, Humane Society, Army cadet corps, etc.

Anybody else get their app? Is it just me or are all the maps blurry? I'm trying to see where specific exhibitors are an when I zoom it, it is like they put in low resolution images and I can't see the booth numbers.
If anything I miss the non sci-fi booths. I used to be able to chat and enter contests with Vertigo Theatre, Calgary Philharmonic, Blood Services etc but now the whole con seemed focused on Funko and Avengers stuff.

I thought the app was quite good and the maps were fine but I wish I could have saved the schedule so that it's accessible when offline given the lack of wifi at BML centre except in certain areas.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #44
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I figured that was the incident. I still remember having to bug the hell out of a volunteer to get in. I’m sure I posted about it on CP. Waited in line to get in for about 2 hours on Saturday, only to find out the massive official line we were in wasn’t a line anymore because of the mass confusion.

Then later in the day when the fire Marshall effectively shut down movement for a few hours, I was stuck. Thankfully inside the con but stuck nonetheless. It was chaos that day. Hardly effected me at all but I felt so bad for all of the out of town fans who had heir weekend ruined.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #45
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The Back to the Future panel would have been a blast and from a cultural perspective is just as big as TNG. They were only missing Crispin Glover.
I ended up going and really enjoyed it, yes too bad about Glover as everyone else worth mentioning was there. Some of the stories were great, and it helped that pretty much all of them seemed genuinely excited to be there back together recanting stories and in good, energetic moods, so it really made it a nice event. Lea Thompson (Lorainne) and Tom Wilson (Biff) were especially engaging and energetic.

It was funny with Christopher Lloyd next to Wilson, as Lloyd's laid back, quieter, tired old man vibe played the foil to Wilson's energy. He reminded me of Larry David (and even dresses like Larry) with his pretty much eye-rolling, "alright buddy tone it down" comments about Wilson..but in like a funny, chirping your old buddy kind of way. I really enjoyed it.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
If anything I miss the non sci-fi booths. I used to be able to chat and enter contests with Vertigo Theatre, Calgary Philharmonic, Blood Services etc but now the whole con seemed focused on Funko and Avengers stuff.
What the heck is the deal with Funko Pops? They seem like pretty much the stupidest thing in the world. Just junk. Why are they successful?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #47
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

There is a great Funko documentary on Netflix. Check it out. It gives a real good look at the Funko culture. I don't collect them but my kid has a few.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #48
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
saw lynda carter on the news last night. she brought back some nice memories of boyhood as she still looks very good
Nice. I'm not really into comics so I was just there (aside from BTTF) to see some of the celebrities, but most weren't at their stalls anymore by the time we checked it out, save for a couple.

Tom Welling (Clark Kent on Smallville) was still there, man that dude has not aged well..I didn't even recognize him to the point I thought that was just one of the dudes helping out at the event. I couldn't believe it when I realized it was actually him! Considering I was the right age for that show and a big Superman fan, I had a bit of a man crush on him back in the day, so seeing what he looks like now both ruined and made my night..as he's just over 4 years older than me and I have aged much better than he has haha. Good confidence boost / shattered teenage idol dreams

Though I will give him credit for staying, as I didn't even know this until I Wiki'd him later on, but yesterday was actually his birthday. So good on him for being one of the only ones to still be hanging around at 6pm on his birthday.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Nice. I'm not really into comics so I was just there (aside from BTTF) to see some of the celebrities, but most weren't at their stalls anymore by the time we checked it out, save for a couple.

Tom Welling (Clark Kent on Smallville) was still there, man that dude has not aged well..I didn't even recognize him to the point I thought that was just one of the dudes helping out at the event. I couldn't believe it when I realized it was actually him! Considering I was the right age for that show and a big Superman fan, I had a bit of a man crush on him back in the day, so seeing what he looks like now both ruined and made my night..as he's just over 4 years older than me and I have aged much better than he has haha. Good confidence boost / shattered teenage idol dreams

Though I will give him credit for staying, as I didn't even know this until I Wiki'd him later on, but yesterday was actually his birthday. So good on him for being one of the only ones to still be hanging around at 6pm on his birthday.
Ayy, congrats to your ego.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #50
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha maybe that came out wrong, that's not what I meant. I'm short and losing my hair, I'm no prize..I'm just doing better than him in the waistline
Old 04-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #51
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

He and his wife had a kid in January so that might be the cause of some weight gain. I know I put on a sweet 20lbs in the less than two years we had our kids. When my wife asked for a Blizzard, I was getting one too...

I hate Funko Pops too. Every second booth at cons has them. It'd be nice to get more diversity in merchandise but I guess when you're filling those spots you'll take anyone that will pay.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #52
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. Yeah that and he had a worn-looking baseball hat on and a grey beard..shave that off and trade in the hat for some gel and I'm sure he's still got it. I was impressed he stuck around so late on his birthday frankly.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #53
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post

Meh, probably everytime that show plays somewhere in the world he gets a check, so he doesn't need to care as much.

I remember reading a story about the older brother on wonder years, his girlfriend told a story that long after he stopped acting, they'd go out to the mailbox and get a stack of checks every day and he wouldn't bother to cash half of them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #54
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I have been really hoping we'd be able to get rid of those but if anything they have only grown: Ballet, Bow Valley College, HP Canada, Brewing companies, Mazda, Youth Employment, Humane Society, Army cadet corps, etc.
The vendors/friends I've kept in touch with all say the same thing. It's too expensive for them and too slow. They aren't making the costs of going back. One friend of mine would usually make table cost in sales on the first day, and the rest would be profit. Now with the table costs going up and foot traffic going down, it took them until earlier this morning to make table cost.

The 'bigger' corporate stuff can afford the bigger costs and so they are worming their way in, while the smaller independent is being edged out.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #55
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they like other trade shows now, where they make you decide to commit to next year's show like two days after this year's show is done?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #56
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I guess I'm looking for completely different things paying for passes to the Calgary Expo.

Do you mean popular culture or specifically Science Fiction? I'm definitely not looking to give away my personal information to places like Vertigo, or the CPO. Certainly not looking for the Blood Services either (wtf, are you a vampire perhaps?)

Maybe they're looking to double down on the (local) "Entertainment" portion rather than the popular culture "Comic" portion. Going to be an unfortunate surprise for people trying to attend from out of town.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #57
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty much what I was getting at is that I liked the variety the con used to promote so that there was a little something for everyone.
Those were some examples; I could pick up some chocolates and discuss the new theatre season with Vertigo, CPO would give away tix to their latest sci-fi production, Canadian blood services would try to encourage donations with info and cookies.

But this year there wasn't even Dan Parent of Archie Comics or Bill Amend of Foxtrot etc as there have been in the past. No Riverdale art or Once Upon a Time toys etc. No Wynonna Earp or Stranger Things. Just the same MCU/DC stuff and that's it.

Last edited by craigwd; 04-28-2019 at 10:17 PM.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote