Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Thumbs down Stan Lee Needs a Hero: Elder Abuse Claims and a Battle Over the Aging Marvel Creator

Really long and detailed article on the devastating implosion of Stan’s personal affairs since his beloved wife of 70 years died last July.

It’s a sad, bizarre, disturbing story of greed and manipulation. Breaks my heart that a hero for an entire generation is being treated this way. Stan’s a class act all the way and I hope things get better for him.

Quote:
Lee's estate is estimated to be worth between $50 million and $70 million (it's been reported he receives $1 million a year for his Marvel ties). And while his primary role with the company is now mostly ceremonial — including a cameo in nearly every film — he remains a deity in fanboy culture. Despite the fact that his health requires nursing care at home and on the road, up until his most recent illness, Lee was a jovial regular at international comic conventions, where he can draw thousands of paying autograph seekers.

A few days after the declaration was notarized, however, Lee changed his mind — or someone did. Whatever happened, Lallas was soon out as Lee's attorney in a confrontation that grew tense enough that the LAPD was called to the legend's Hollywood Hills home.

Morgan and J.C. began consolidating their power over Lee. Mike Kelly, Lee's assistant for nearly a quarter-century who used to come by the house most days for one-on-one meetings, was limited to weekly pre-approved and supervised visits. A new accountant (Vince Maguire, Tobey's brother and Morgan's friend) was hired. The housekeeper and gardener, who had been with Lee for decades, were sent packing. And a revolving door of lawyers were retained over six weeks until the pair introduced Lee to his current counsel, Jonathan Freund.

Lee's phone number has been changed, and his emails are being monitored and composed by Morgan. ("Stan Lee has macular degeneration and his eyes cannot see small letters," Morgan explains. "I have been taking him to the eye doctor and reading his e-mails for him for many years. This is his request, and he thanks me for helping him.")

When Morgan learned that THR had obtained a copy of the seemingly damning declaration, he filmed a video of Lee distancing himself from the document. In the clip, while Lee doesn't deny signing the declaration, he calls its contents "totally incorrect, inaccurate, misleading and insulting." (Lallas says he went through the contents with Lee "word by word, line by line.")

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...reator-1101229
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Stan’s a class act all the way and I hope things get better for him.
Bizarre story. I certainly wouldn’t call him a “class act all the way” based on some recent allegations, but elder abuse is never ok regardless of the person involved.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was forced to do a comic con in Silicon Valley this past weekend and he couldn't even write his own name. That dbag manager was standing next to him saying S-T-A-N L-E-E before he signed each book. and i always wouldn't call him a class act. He did a lot of "borrowing" from DC back in the day.
Hard to watch this though.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 04-11-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the way Lee ripped off Jack Kirby, this seems like karmic payback.

Still, exploiting a senior who doesn't understand what he's doing is pretty scummy.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-11-2018 at 09:33 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

lol. You guys don't know the meaning of the word class. I'd read up on the history of Stan and Jack's friendship before you start throwing out BS like that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
lol. You guys don't know the meaning of the word class. I'd read up on the history of Stan and Jack's friendship before you start throwing out BS like that.
And his relationship with his nurses?

I just wouldn’t hold him up as an example of class, is all. Undeserving of elder abuse, though, for sure.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd read up on the history of Stan and Jack's friendship before you start throwing out BS like that.
They barely spoke for decades and never reconciled.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This is a good, albeit long, article about Stan Lee’s legacy.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/stan-...rse-c-v-r.html