Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
For basic printing, yes, but I think scanning functions typically need drivers from the manufacturer, no? I know most printers have a scan now button but configuring settings is usually much easier in a software package.
Oh, I see what you mean.

The printer would come with a disc or whatever to install a software package. Just install all features on that disc. That part of the install should be straight forward assuming you know how to install a basic program. If asking a computer illiterate to install, it would be tough no matter what. It makes more sense to get someone else to install and set up and update (just basically need to update it once the first time it's installed if needed) for your parents if necessary.

Modern printers have software that comes with it that has options to update the firmware of the printer. This is the only feature that I use that's from the manufacturer for the printer/printing. It's dead easy and far better than having to look up a model and select the latest drivers.

The printer may have software that allows you to play with the print and scan settings (mainly quality) and/or default save location of the scanned images. In all honesty, if you don't know how to use it, just leave it on default/high quality. Hard drive storage is cheap. You're better off just upgrading their drive for them rather than try and skimp on quality. My experiences with Canon also is that the scans are very good quality and the compression is also quite good. This meant that I could have exceptionally high quality scans that were less than 3MB vs 13MB or more for similar quality scans on certain older Brother scanner models. I've never scanned with a Lexmark before, printing only. Though as an imaging company I'd assume it should be within reasonable range to the Canons for quality and compression. The only scanning hardware I've found that was on par quality and compression wise was Fujitsu. The feeder on the scanners weren't very good and pages might go through multiple at a time if you tried to scan more than 10 pages simultaneously (which I assume is unlikely for your parents). Fujitsu and Brother had significantly better feeders that you can easily stack and not worry about pages sticking.

If I remember correctly (or at least the units I used), both Lexmark and Canon have relatively barebones but intuitive software. Computer interface software was basically only as complex as one would find on a photocopier. It's basically set and forget.

It's not like other companies like HP, Brother etc. that in my experience had all sorts of optional bloatware like file management software (crappier windows explorer), weird photo or picture editing software that looks like a forgotten image manipulation program from 2005, registration and data sharing requests, genuine supplies "ads" (seriously, aftermarket on Amazon is more than adequate for the average person) etc. These programs were unnecessary and you could easily ignore.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 04:19 PM   #22
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I configured my HP to scan directly to a network drive so I don't have to install any software, HP does seem to come with a lot of bloatware though this newest one didn't seem to have as much.

I still prefer my Fujitsu scanner for scanning, it's old now but still can scan a big stack of docs double sided faster and easier than any printer, probably still my favourite peripheral.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:23 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just setup a new large format plotter that HP felt the need for a ~1GB software package. None of it was necessary, except the 8MB driver... Good ol' HP, never change.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #24
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
For basic printing, yes, but I think scanning functions typically need drivers from the manufacturer, no? I know most printers have a scan now button but configuring settings is usually much easier in a software package.

Yeah, my canon connects wirelessly to both my mac and windows machines. For mac, it was a driver and everything is easy. On windows, it needs the full software installed for print and scan.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post: