Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #21
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love taking the piss out of Clanachan, but in the end he helped get a Canadian domestic soccer league off the ground and through a global pandemic (if it doesn't kill us all). Left the professional game better than he found it IMO. Deserves props to him for that.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 09:23 PM   #22
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's doing it there because it's his home town first and foremost. If he has a couple years to market it, of course he will get (extra) CPL support of the highest order, and really, just needs 3 to 5k if people to come out.

No idea of Windsor demographics but if it's the only show in town in the summer, and properly marketed and presentes as such. Also he has been in all those meetings about and with teams like York and Edmonton etc and likely seen the disaster that they are and all/what bad decisions ownership has made to get them in trouble, and as Commissioner, can only suggest so much to help, no matter what ideas he and the league have.

Becuase of that, he can, in his opinion, now apply what he's seen, good and bad, and make a go of it in a small market.

If Bob Young has any siblings, relatives, 2 to 1 they are next in line for the Commissionership.

Last edited by browna; 01-10-2022 at 09:36 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2022, 06:26 PM   #23
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Ongaro is signing with a club in Romania. Good move for him. Edmonton gets worse. I like!

Old 01-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #24
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

And official. Now he can't score in a losing cause against Cavalry any more...

https://twitter.com/Canucks_Abroad/s...58438437462027

Old 01-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any rumbings for for Wheeldon Jr is planning on making the team better after losing Farsi and Yao?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 08:30 PM   #26
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mo Farsi has signed with the Columbus Crew’s MLSNEXT team.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:50 PM   #27
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Mo Farsi has signed with the Columbus Crew’s MLSNEXT team.
Ouch.

If guys like Farsi are leaving to be on MLS B Teams for a substantial raise, MLS Next Pro might be the beginning of the end for this league.

I really hope not and we see these clubs get competitive salary wise with USL-C and MLS Next Pro (at least), but if not, I guess we can look forward to Forge, Cavalry, and the couple other clubs with cash ending up in MLS' development league with other independent teams like Rochester.

If they can't pay these guys competitive money, its going to be very hard to grow fanbases outside the die hards and ask the fans who do show up to pay $20-70/game.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:19 PM   #28
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much does MLSnext pay? I would think the big attraction is more than money though, it’s probably exposure to try to get on at a higher level?

For Cavs, things don’t look great next year, at this point. We’ve lost a few good players so far and haven’t signed anyone that I can think of? I’m not panicking or anything, because there’s still plenty of time. It would be good to see some new blood.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:37 PM   #29
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
How much does MLSnext pay? I would think the big attraction is more than money though, it’s probably exposure to try to get on at a higher level?

For Cavs, things don’t look great next year, at this point. We’ve lost a few good players so far and haven’t signed anyone that I can think of? I’m not panicking or anything, because there’s still plenty of time. It would be good to see some new blood.
No one knows what they pay. There is no minimum salary and no maximum salary and no salary cap That’s all that is known.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 01-15-2022 at 09:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 09:43 PM   #30
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Ouch.

If guys like Farsi are leaving to be on MLS B Teams for a substantial raise, MLS Next Pro might be the beginning of the end for this league.

I really hope not and we see these clubs get competitive salary wise with USL-C and MLS Next Pro (at least), but if not, I guess we can look forward to Forge, Cavalry, and the couple other clubs with cash ending up in MLS' development league with other independent teams like Rochester.

If they can't pay these guys competitive money, its going to be very hard to grow fanbases outside the die hards and ask the fans who do show up to pay $20-70/game.
It's unclear if he left for a bigger salary, hoping increased MLS exposure leads to a MLS contract or quite simply, wanting a different life experience. I don't think there's any reason for the CPL to hit the panic button.

Aboubacar Sissoko left Wanderers after being one of the best midfielders in the league to sign for Indy 11 of the USL for more money. He lasted exactly one year there. These moves happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 07:38 AM   #31
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the article where it was announced Farsi would go to Columbus Crew 2. Tommy mentions it wasn't about the money but the chance to go to MLS. Of course that's the club focused spin on things.

I don't really see how playing reserve team games are better than first team games. But perhaps by being on an MLS reserve team he has a more direct shot of making MLS?

Feels a little bit like Zator moving to York. Leaving Cavalry thinking there are better opportunities out there in Europe or MLS, and maybe there aren't?

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer...ith-mls-crew-2

Old 01-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #32
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Here's the article where it was announced Farsi would go to Columbus Crew 2. Tommy mentions it wasn't about the money but the chance to go to MLS. Of course that's the club focused spin on things.

I don't really see how playing reserve team games are better than first team games. But perhaps by being on an MLS reserve team he has a more direct shot of making MLS?

Feels a little bit like Zator moving to York. Leaving Cavalry thinking there are better opportunities out there in Europe or MLS, and maybe there aren't?

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer...ith-mls-crew-2
What would you say is the next step up from CPL though? I think that’s what players are kind of exploring with these moves. I don’t think Farsi was too good for the CPL, but I can see players wanting to try to climb the ladder as a professional, so in that light it makes sense to me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:43 AM   #33
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What would you say is the next step up from CPL though? I think that’s what players are kind of exploring with these moves. I don’t think Farsi was too good for the CPL, but I can see players wanting to try to climb the ladder as a professional, so in that light it makes sense to me.
I agree with this question. Many CPL fans thought MLS was the next step up. Not sure that’s the case.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MLS is still a pretty big step up from CPL, and keep in mind that the Canadian clubs all have their own academy developed players they want to promote to the first team. Waterman managed to work out but he is going to be the exception until the quality of play in CPL improves.

For me, some of the USL Championship clubs would be considered the next step up. Clubs like Indy Eleven or Tampa or Louisville are going to pay better than CPL. In Europe, Ongaro's move to Romania is a good example of making the step up but one where he can get actual minutes. Somewhere like Norway would be a good step up too.

IMO Farsi's move is really a step backwards. Maybe he crushes it with the Crew reserve team and gets a first team contract. But I think the odds of him striking out are just as high. High risk high reward.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #35
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm okay with Mo going to Columbus Crew 2. I wish him the best of luck. Obviously, him and his agent think this is the next best step for him, and they likely know way more about his situation and the industry more than any of us do.

The CPL was always going to be a developmental league for many years first; its purpose is to develop Canadian players. This is an example of that. Losing Mo sucks, but he was never going to be here permanently.

As Lanny on this site once said a long time ago, "I cheer for the sweater, not the bozos who wear it". Cavs will always have my support, same with the development of Canadian players into the larger spotlight!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:02 PM   #36
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's impossible to know what the standard of MLS Next Pro is gonna be at this point. However, I understand why Farsi made the move. He's going to be on the books of an MLS club, working with their coaches and using their facilities. I'm guessing this wasn't his ideal move (that would have been a MLS first team contract offer or something in Europe he saw as appealing). But let's face it, it's not likely he's going to earning much less money, if not the same or more. He'll be making USD for one thing. I think it's a reasonable gamble from his perspective. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure he can come back to the CPL.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 AM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Minatel is rumored to be joining Martin Nash at York United (source: Calgary Sun).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #38
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm a bit concerned we can't keep a guy like Minatel. What is going on with Cavalry?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:43 AM   #39
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are a few factors going into Minatel leaving.

First, he missed most of the year with a new injury after snapping his leg in 2020. Second, according to Tommy clubs can only have 3 internationals over the age of 23 this year (which is a stupid rule) and those spots are spoken for. Third, when the salary cap stays stagnant players will struggle to stick around at a club as there's only a limited number of raises that can go around and there's more movement. Fourth, Martin Nash's departure.

I don't think it's that surprising that Minatel is following Nash to York, given that he followed Nash to Calgary 3 years ago. York seems to also be in the business of snapping up players who find themselves out of contract with other CPL clubs too. That said, right now York do not have any international roster spots available so something has to change.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #40
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Small other bit of news - Tofa Fukunle, who briefly played with the Cavs in the inaugural 2019 season, is now Assistant GM. That's got to be quite the cool job to work with Tommy like that, especially at 26. Gotta say I'm a bit jealous
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good