Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #1661
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Did she in fact officially deny an emergency session requested by those 4 councilors, or is it procedural and didn't have enough support from the other 11 for it to happen? Without that information, it's just a theory.

IMO she should have called a meeting regardless of what other councillors would do in response....that's the lead here. Instead it was immediately to twitter in an effort to make CSEC the bad guys.

Quite the 3 month start to her term.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #1662
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
IMO she should have called a meeting regardless of what other councillors would do in response....that's the lead here. Instead it was immediately to twitter in an effort to make CSEC the bad guys.

Quite the 3 month start to her term.
"Immediately to twitter" is completely untrue.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:47 PM   #1663
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
How is that?

From that whole twitter barrage of Dec. 21

Quote:
Today, I spoke with Murray Edwards, primary shareholder of Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corp (CSEC), about the future of the Event Centre project.
Quote:
I wanted Calgarians to be the first to know. I am as disappointed as all of you that this is the way things are ending.
She knew what she was doing and was elated to see the project she voted against to up in a pile of "flames".
Old 01-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #1664
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
How is that?

From that whole twitter barrage of Dec. 21

She knew what she was doing and was elated to see the project she voted against to up in a pile of "flames".
It was clarified in the open council this week that after the call between Gondek and Edwards, there was a lengthy discussion with many members of city administration and then all council members were notified in written form all of the details of the discussion and were given an opportunity to respond to the situation prior to the time that the media would be informed. She did not hit send on twitter posts immediately after Murray hung up the phone, but don't let facts get in the way of a good lynching.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #1665
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
It was clarified in the open council this week that after the call between Gondek and Edwards, there was a lengthy discussion with many members of city administration and then all council members were notified in written form all of the details of the discussion and were given an opportunity to respond to the situation prior to the time that the media would be informed. She did not hit send on twitter posts immediately after Murray hung up the phone, but don't let facts get in the way of a good lynching.

LOL...lynching eh?

Those are her words...not mine.

The time of the tweet was at 530 in the afternoon...so if they "talked at length to administration and all councillors were notified in writing AND given time to respond", then she must have spoken with Edwards at 6 in the morning or so.....yes?

Facts indeed.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #1666
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Edwards lives in Switzerland, maybe it was 6 in the morning.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #1667
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Giving colleagues literally hours to digest before the twitter storm was not wise. I am arm chairing this thing, but honestly you say nothing. You call everyone together and you brainstorm what to do next and you make a decision. In the confines of City Hall.

Twitter adds no value in life outside maybe locating loved ones in a disaster, finding a PS5, or when the power is coming back on. Outside that its a tool for people to run their mouth.

I am fairly sure her adviser Carter got her to do that, since he seems like a super slick (in his mind) progressive partisan.

The sooner she loses him and her twitter account the better.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #1668
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How so? It was within hours of her conversation with Edwards and she comes off looking like a petulant child!!
Old 01-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #1669
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else having voters remorse for choosing her in the last election? It’s no secret how much I despise Flames ownership, but this new mayor is shaping up to be a massive dud.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #1670
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a compromise to suggest. The parties go ahead with the deal as planned, but the Flames pay for a dozen strategically placed blow-up arm-waving advertising "figurines" holding up "IT'S A CLIMATE EMERGENCY!" placards. I think that this would achieve all the goals the sides need satisfied....

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #1671
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was so long ago (2017) when the mayor was the cause of talks breaking down

https://edmontonsun.com/2017/09/13/b...shi-who-blinks

Quote:
The bomb dropped at the Saddledome and you could hear it blocks away at city hall's big blue playpen where the politicians droned on for a second day.

Yes, the Flames owners are done talking to city hall about a new arena. They're definite about it. They're clear about it. That's it, that's all.
Then Davison and co. pushed to shift the city's position (pay more money).

https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...mes-1-nenshi-0

Just seeing the same thing play out again. No reason for CSEC to not do it until they get as much money from the city as possible. They walk away, everybody panics and blames council or the mayor, then they just need to wait until the desperate people undermine the city's negotiating position again.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:17 PM   #1672
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Twitter storm was necessary, but I don't really see how anything would have been different. They could have had a 10 day council meeting for all it would have mattered, but CSEC had decided to pull out of the existing deal as written. No further discussions were changing that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:32 PM   #1673
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few things:

1. There is a mechanism for councillors to call a special meeting if 9 of them ask for it (I'm actually shocked that Corbella mentioned this in her piece).

2. I imagine there are actually a ton of moving parts involved in calling an emergency meeting (all of the administrators, etc.). It's probably best to reserve this mechanism for actual emergencies. What action(s) could have occured between Dec. 21 and Dec. 31 to save this? Aside from completely bending to the demands and just hoping that will be the end of it?

3. Do we presume it was just one conversation between Gondek and Edwards and then she hit tweet a few hours later? Clearly not...IIRC from the meeting the other day, Dagleish and Bean had escalated (albeit not 100% formally) the breakdown to Duckworth and Edwards. It was certainly days and weeks in the making.

3b. It does seem clear that communication to councillors wasn't ideal, but we also have to remember that 9 of the 15 were brand new to the job for less than 2 months (and Pootman/Chabot returning after missed terms). So there are 4 councillors: Gondek, Demong, Carra, and Chu who were continuous from the previous council who had voted on previous motions related to this building. We expect the other 11 (really 12 if we acknowledge Chu's illiteracy) to become fully versed and somehow save this deal in 10 days over Xmas?

4. I think there is something poetic in how this deal went from public to a vote in about 5 business days in the middle of the summer...and now it's fallen apart in 5 or less business days over Xmas.

5. The Dec. 31 deadline was largely meaningless from the city's side...as we've seen, council has found a way to keep the pilot light on indefinitely. It's not like all of the work to this point was thrown in a paper shredder.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #1674
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A favourite little gem from the Corbella piece:

Quote:
Better yet, let’s pull some names off the sides of prominent buildings — the Libin Cardiovascular Institute, the McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, the Markin MacPhail Centre. Perhaps they’d like to invest in a new event centre. Oops. They’re all the same guys — the Flames’ owners.
There is one name conspicuously absent from those names...though maybe he's like Ted Danson and prefers to go by 'Anonymous'. Or maybe he's just put his name on buildings in London or Switzerland?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #1675
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

There is one name conspicuously absent from those names...though maybe he's like Ted Danson and prefers to go by 'Anonymous'. Or maybe he's just put his name on buildings in London or Switzerland?
Well, he for sure has his name on the commerce dept. school in the U of S (alma mater). He’s donated a fair bit in Calgary, I’d say about the norm for high rolling businessmen here.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:57 PM   #1676
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t like the idea of giving the Flames public money for the arena, and I voted for Gondek.

But really…them not having a meeting or even trying to extend the Dec 31 deadline is unbelievable to me. You get notice on Dec 21 that the deal has fallen through, and consider a meeting to discuss it, and somehow decide against that? That’s just ridiculous. It’s a huge project for the city that’s been discussed for about a decade, and would be in use for the coming 2-3 decades. I can’t see any rational reason to not even meet and get things on track.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:21 PM   #1677
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

N/m

Last edited by gallione11; 01-14-2022 at 03:28 PM.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #1678
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gross incompetence on the part of Gondek.

If she was getting bad advice from Cater, which appears to be the case, he needs to go.

Perhaps this royal fumble should also cost Gondek her job?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #1679
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Gross incompetence on the part of Gondek.

If she was getting bad advice from Cater, which appears to be the case, he needs to go.

Perhaps this royal fumble should also cost Gondek her job?
LOL. Ya, maybe she should resign.

Get real.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 03:48 PM   #1680
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Quote:
Better yet, let’s pull some names off the sides of prominent buildings — the Libin Cardiovascular Institute, the McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, the Markin MacPhail Centre. Perhaps they’d like to invest in a new event centre. Oops. They’re all the same guys — the Flames’ owners.
I thought that little 'gem' was among the most repugnant parts of Corbella's blatant stoogery for the CSEC ownership group. The insinuation is "look, they've donated a bunch of money to other public facilities: we owe them one."
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good