Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2021, 03:54 AM   #761
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Construction always has changes happening until the final handover. Considering this was a constantly evolving rendering I doubt the final design was 100%.

This seems pretty cut and dry, the Flames can't afford to build the building in the current environment, due to cost escalation and a stipulation that they have to shoulder any increase.

They picked a handful of agreed to items in the cost they knew would seem like bull#### to the general public and used those to bludgeon the city in the media.

They want a cash injection from the taxpayers so they aren't on the hook for spiraling material and eventual labor increases. We could see 5-10% inflation in 2022 the way things are going in Alberta, compounding increases over a few years of construction and it adds up fast.
Oh they can afford it...

I mean of all the organisations in Calgary to believe over the city, the Flames are at the bottom of that list. Love the team, but they ran a mayoral candidate against nenshi because it was worth it to get a dirty deal. How do you comeback from that?

Ha...glad calgary in the end wasn't small town enough to fall for it. Eventually the media and public opinion will swing against the flames on this latest misstep.

It makes me sad, because it I know the team I've loved since I was a kid is likely to embarrass me over the next twelve months...and it won't be because of the on ice.🤦

Go away Murray.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #762
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope everyone in this arena debacle, on both sides, gets a huge lump of coal in their stockings this year!! Calgarians deserve so much better than this ongoing #### show!!
Old 12-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #763
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shortened COVID seasons really killed my already waning interest in the Flames and NHL hockey in general. This season felt like a return to normal...for a while. This news combined with the cancellations has killed my interest in yet another season. Maybe next year will be another resurgence?

Oh no, an online fan with no season tickets who doesn't really the support the Flames in any kind of meaningful financial way might grow even more distant because of a potential arena deal falling apart. I know, I know. It's Shakesperean in it's tragedy.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #764
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

City picks up the cost on the damn roadway/sidewalk issues with money they were putting forward anyways.

3rd party installs the solar system on a favorable (could be tax credit or provincial incentive or strict operating cost) cost repayment scheme coming from the maintenance budget of the power bill whereby the city owns the system by 2035. This makes the infrastructure and building carbon neutral by 2035 instead of 2050.

Bam...back in business...

There is no reason this should have been brought back to the tax payers...with this level of frustration. This should have been solved by a competent set of project managers and parties working in good faith...

The above is one solution of many that would work with the right level of engagement...
Old 12-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #765
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Good post. Ticketmaster is literally the scum of the earth. How they can get away charging the fees that they do and monopolizing the entire entertainment industry is beyond me. As Groot states, there has to be a better system to lower processing fees or at least divert those processing fees back into the facility itself. Ticketmaster should not exist.
In the digital age they really should not exist..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #766
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually think the uncertainty added by the current state of the world is only highlighting that the "smarts" in our society was unable to define and quantify the benefits of such a deal. Some of it is uncertainty, some of it is human and some of it is just is. Would it be nice to have a new building? Yes. Hope we can learn from this and move the city into the next stage of its growth. Sucks.

Last edited by BagoPucks; 12-23-2021 at 08:30 AM.
BagoPucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #767
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Alternative take on this whole situation. In 20 years we will be happy the Dome is still here. It is a unique part of the city, and will become a bit of history in the city.

Fans will be satisfied with a reno that adds a add a large, multi-story concourse beside the existing dome, and good sight lines will be retained inside the bowl. The flames are able to grow their in-game revenues through better concessions and experiences to the same level as a new arena would.

A new arena is never built as the incremental revenue of 50 more luxury suites doesn’t justify the $700 million expense
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #768
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have always been a fan of an option of keeping the dome. It is such a cool part of the city and heritage that was.
BagoPucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #769
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
City picks up the cost on the damn roadway/sidewalk issues with money they were putting forward anyways.

3rd party installs the solar system on a favorable (could be tax credit or provincial incentive or strict operating cost) cost repayment scheme coming from the maintenance budget of the power bill whereby the city owns the system by 2035. This makes the infrastructure and building carbon neutral by 2035 instead of 2050.

Bam...back in business...

There is no reason this should have been brought back to the tax payers...with this level of frustration. This should have been solved by a competent set of project managers and parties working in good faith...

The above is one solution of many that would work with the right level of engagement...
Yes, but the CSEC is trying to get more than that. You're solutioning for when both parties are negotiating and acting in good faith, but what is your solution when one party is looking for any way out of the deal?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #770
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wonder if there any IT guys on CP that have ever had experience with a client or partner changing the parameters of a project on the fly?

My understanding is that everyone is a huge fan of moving goalposts. The stationary ones are just too easy to hit.
Is this sarcasm?

Changes happen all the time on projects. Change orders are submitted for them or the project is done iteratively with revisions.

In my entire 20 year career, I've only had 1 project go from start to finish without any changes. And that project was a 3 month project where the scope was small.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #771
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Re: Saving on Ticketmaster fees

I guarantee there is an implied "sure, you can go it yourself for hockey ticket sales to save on the fees, but we'll actively avoid booking major concerts at your venue" threat from Ticketmaster.

Ticketmaster/LiveNation has 10,852 artists/comics/touring events affiliated with them... and that is just the ones that start with the letter A.

https://www.livenation.com/artist-sitemap/a

Even if Flames and the city wanted to, there is no way they could tell Ticketmaster/LiveNation to go pound sand.

Isn't Capitalism fun?
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1991 Canadian For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #772
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well that was a fun read ... not.

Hate commenting until I've read everything for fear of repeating what's already been said.

So I'll keep it to this ...

Will never cease to amaze me how people pick 100% one side or extremes in something that has so many angles to it.

Additionally amazed how people can read the same information and only see what seems to support their side.
This, 100%!
Old 12-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #773
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both parties should go back to the original 50/50 cost split and move on. The biggest loser is the city if this doesn’t proceed. Just one more reason not to go downtown with no arena/entertainment district. Oh, but I forgot! We can go to the LIBRARY! Oh I can’t stand the excitement!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:10 AM   #774
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Can’t wait for Notley to get re-elected. She’ll probably ask that the current arena be torn down due to the climate emergency. Flames will play out of the Crescent Heights out door rink until further notice.
With how many premiers before Notley did the new Calgary Cancer Centre get announced than cancelled since at least 2005? At least 3 since I've worked here (well, at TBCC). Notley announced it and delivered (2023 opening). (With K-enema now trying to take credit).
Old 12-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #775
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is an extremely nuanced issue, far from black and white...

Seems like a decent investment for Flames ownership, no?...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473781396938317828
Old 12-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #776
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also highly recommend following CP's own Freeway for arena related breakdowns...

Great segment with Steinberg on 960 yest:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473764022881341440
Old 12-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #777
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
Bring Enmax in to pay for and install the solar panels. They keep the revenue generated from the electricity and work in some sort of branding to help provide them benefit in the up front capital.
Just stick "Enmax Solar Roof" in giant letters on the top and be done with it, but Scotiabank or whomever gets the main rights but not want to share.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #778
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wonder if there any IT guys on CP that have ever had experience with a client or partner changing the parameters of a project on the fly?

My understanding is that everyone is a huge fan of moving goalposts. The stationary ones are just too easy to hit.
There's always scope creep and there's always project overruns and additional hours that end up be tacked on to the project because things don't work out as planned. Then these all snowball into the followings years of maintaining what was built and then dealing with the ramifications of any cost-cutting that was done. You pay now or you end up paying later.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #779
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
This is not the mayor's decision. It is CSEC's decision based on the requests from Administration.
Could the mayor have overruled Administration?
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #780
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Could the mayor have overruled Administration?
Calgary's mayor (any mayor, not Gondek specifically) has very little power to do anything unilaterally. Council can overrule recommendations from Administration, but the mayor is only one vote out of 15 on Council, and I don't think this particular issue went to a Council vote anyway. Bunk probably knows way more than I do, so let's see what he says about this.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good