Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #441
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The sad reality is this mayor with the business acumen of a child will end up costing city tax payers way more for this project when the dust finally settles.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #442
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
How much would it actually cost the individual citizen tax payer? I seriously want to know.

If I was living in the city and a die hard Flames fan i'd be happy to pay my part to keep something i love and value a part of the community.
I'd say they should add a ticket tax to cover the city's costs if people are that willing to pay to keep something they love... but of course they were going to do that anyway... with the money going to CSEC.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #443
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Something that is actually for the whole public good and nobody has to pay to enjoy?
My point was not whether public libraries should exist or not, whether I ever use one again in my life or not, but should they be grandiose and cost hundreds of millions of dollars?

The debate over "public good" is multi-faceted.

Our tax dollars have been used for all sorts of public works projects that I'll never ever see any benefit from, yet when we're talking about building a new publicly-owned event center facility that will be used for many things other than just hockey games, and is 50% funded by a private enterprise then I guess we're not having the same conversation then.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #444
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Wow a lot of people sure buy into what CSEC is selling hook line and sinker. Seems pretty obvious why the mayor wanted to try and get ahead of this. She knew the drones would be out for blood once the Flames started pointing fingers.

This explains why ownership negotiates this way. They know the general populace of sports fans, even conservatives, don’t actually care about fiscal responsibility as long as the money is being wasted on pretty things they like and not stupid libraries or art projects that only liberal elites can enjoy.

And all just so that the owner can take more of your money and double ticket prices for the same product!

This is like the ultimate grift.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-22-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #445
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are intent on staying in the 'Dome as their statement says, will they end up doing another renovation eventually to at least try to modernize it some more? Packing up and heading south seems like the better option for them at this point.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #446
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:
Default CSEC threaten to pull out of arena deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
The sad reality is this mayor with the business acumen of a child will end up costing city tax payers way more for this project when the dust finally settles.
Wait but that’s exactly what she’s trying to avoid?

What could she do right in your mind? agree to pay more? But then we’d be paying more tax dollars for the arena. So she should fight against that! But then billionaires get angry and quit. So she’s wrong there too!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #447
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t blame CESC here at all, the City re-negged on the original 50/50 deal, and that could have terminated everything right there. Surely there’s other markets more willing to co-operate and approach things with a business mindset. In fact I bet there are cities who would love to have an NHL team and would jump at a 50/50 arena deal.

Seems really silly to potentially let this slip away. A new building has so many positives and would be a big boost for the city and downtown core.

The city comes off as a ####ty and sketchy business partner here for sure.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #448
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How do you figure that?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #449
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like Gondek is the new Druh for some people. No matter what she does they will always be pissed.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #450
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
My point was not whether public libraries should exist or not, whether I ever use one again in my life or not, but should they be grandiose and cost hundreds of millions of dollars?

Our tax dollars have been used for all sorts of public works projects that I'll never ever see any benefit from, yet when we're talking about building a new publicly-owned event center facility that will be used for many things other than just hockey games, and is 50% funded by a private enterprise then I guess we're not having the same conversation then.
For the record, the Calgary Library cost $245M and provides a public benefit. Is it overly grandiose? Maybe. But it's public and available to all Calgarians for free.

In comparison we're talking about an arena that costs 3x as much with all profits from the building going to a private organization.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #451
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I don’t blame CESC here at all, the City re-negged on the original 50/50 deal, and that could have terminated everything right there. Surely there’s other markets more willing to co-operate and approach things with a business mindset. In fact I bet there are cities who would love to have an NHL team and would jump at a 50/50 arena deal.

Seems really silly to potentially let this slip away. A new building has so many positives and would be a big boost for the city and downtown core.

The city comes off as a ####ty and sketchy business partner here for sure.
When CSEC came back in July demanding CMLC be removed from the project wouldn't that be reneging on the original deal as well? Or is it only bad when the City tries to fiddle with the agreed-upon deal?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #452
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post

Publicly-owned means what to Calgary residents in the case of an events centre? I can just go in there and skate on the ice like it’s Olympic Plaza or Bowness Park? I can show up to a concert without having to pay? What’s the benefit?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #453
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
When CSEC came back in July demanding CMLC be removed from the project wouldn't that be reneging on the original deal as well? Or is it only bad when the City tries to fiddle with the agreed-upon deal?
Even CSEC admits that they agreed to they would be on the hook for any cost overruns (of course, they conveniently omit the part where they requested that CMLC be removed as project manager in their statement)

Quote:
and agreed to accept the risk of reasonable future design and construction cost increases related to the Event Centre in spite of our original 50%/50% agreement.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #454
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Teams statement pretty much aligns with what I expected.

Costs have increased substantially and they have no intention of eating it all. That's really the whole story. What they budgeted 2 years ago is no longer reality, not even close.

2017-2019 was always the time to get it done, similar to Edmonton.

I'm not sure this is true. CSEC has agreed to cost overruns but not add-ons.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #455
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Publicly-owned means what to Calgary residents in the case of an events centre? I can just go in there and skate on the ice like it’s Olympic Plaza or Bowness Park? I can show up to a concert without having to pay? What’s the benefit?
The benefit of the arena being publicly owned is that the Flames don't pay taxes on the arena and the City is on the hook for demolition costs at the end of it's lifecycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #456
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post

The latter and also the audacity of adding a cost attributed to…..CLIMATE!

Omg unacceptable, get it away, unbelievable.

The pettiness of these billionaires is hilarious
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:40 AM   #457
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
City planners continue to be out of touch with reality. Why anyone would ever want to develop anything of substance in this town is beyond me. You think you have your project costed, spend millions on plans and a DP application only to let the ivory tower social engineers at the City in the name of vague concepts like climate mitigation (what a joke) loose and impose millions more on your project, because they can. I don’t blame Edwards at all for telling the City (as planning authority) to F off.
The process you're describing is pretty standard in any larger city in North America. In fact, getting stuff through in Calgary is a lot easier than other major cities in Canada. No step code to deal with, for example.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #458
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sick of politician types and Calgary ivory tower elite who consider anything sports related to be too gauche to fund while they gold plate basically every other project. Only the largest cities have had arena's / stadiums entirely funded by the private sector.

Let's fast forward 5-10 years, the Flames have moved on, Calgary's aging Saddledome prevents any but the most basic concerts/events from coming to town. It's not like we aren't going to have to build a new arena / events stadium soon anyway. Look at Winnipeg, the gaping hole in their city from the Jets leaving essentially ended up causing a new stadium paid for entirely by government to be built. In the end we're all going to be paying for a new arena anyway.

The city should get on with it and avoid having our team leaving and waiting 10-20 years for another NHL team to come back once a new arena has to be built entirely at our expense. If city council and the planning commission post election turnover are demanding $19 million of extra things in a development permit that weren't part of the original scope they should pay for it entirely themselves.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 12-22-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 10:44 AM   #459
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I'm sick of politician types and Calgary ivory tower elite who consider anything sports related to be too gauche to fund while they gold plate basically every other project. Only the largest cities have had arena's / stadiums entirely funded by the private sector.
Is the issue sports related or are people concerned that Calgary taxpayers are subsidizing a for-profit business run by a billionaire that doesn't even live in Calgary and likely doesn't pay Canadian taxes?

Quote:
Let's fast forward 5-10 years, the Flames have moved on, Calgary's aging Saddledome prevents any but the most basic concerts/events from coming to town. It's not like we aren't going to have to build a new arena / events stadium soon anyway. Look at Winnipeg, the gaping hole in their city from the Jets leaving essentially ended up causing a new stadium paid for entirely by government to be built. In the end we're all going to be paying for a new arena anyway.

The city should get on with it and avoid having our team leaving and waiting 10-20 years for another NHL team to come back once a new arena has to be built entirely at our expense. If city council and the planning commission post election turnover are demanding $19 million of extra things that weren't part of the original scope they should pay for it entirely themselves.
Are the only options: 1) pay the billionaire what he wants or 2) watch the team leave?

I think there may be a middle ground you're ignoring.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #460
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

The city should come back with agreeing to pay the $19mil extra and instating CMCL as the lead again.

And then watch the billionaires be pissed once again lol

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good