Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Given the great start how many points will the Flames finish with?
110+ 13 6.57%
105-109 43 21.72%
100-104 88 44.44%
95-99 44 22.22%
90-94 8 4.04%
85-89 1 0.51%
84 or less 1 0.51%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Flames season will only be as good as its finish

Sitting atop the standings at the quarter pole is great, but the city has seen this before. Will this year's version be like the one that raised the Cup in 1989, or endured the epic collapse of 2002?

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...rence-leaders/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 2004 I remember a quote from Iginla (maybe) that for the Flames, all the pressure was in the regular season to make the playoffs, and in the playoffs the pressure was gone and shifted to other teams.

I don't feel that way about this squad. They will have immense pressure in the playoffs, although nothing like the team to the North.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The key will be their play down the stretch.

They've bucked the first trend of slow starts, that was big.

The next trend is the fall off after the ASB. That's also been a routine thing as well. They fall off as intensity ramps up to playoff level from other teams in the mix, even in 18-19. Sure, maybe a dip comes in the next 20. Just make sure it's not in the last 20. You ideally want your final 20 to look a lot like this first quarter in terms of consistency and attention to detail. No skidding into a berth like other years. Need to have playoff intensity going in march and april, before the big games begin, so that it's not a case of needing to ratchet up another level after finishing the schedule. I think that's what Darryl is preaching and hopefully they can employ it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the key will be its Swedish.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:23 PM   #5
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see Sutter letting the foot come off the gas for this team. As Flames fans we are a fragile bunch, but this season feels different with him at the helm again.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could be worse, we could be the Oilers or Maple leafs. I don't feel like the Flames have nearly the pressure on them that Edmonton, Toronto or even Winnipeg has as far as post season success.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 01:21 AM   #7
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Difference in all the Flames teams I’ve watched previously is they are playing playoff hockey now.

Other Flames teams did well in the no hit regular season them cratered in playoffs.

We have great goaltending too. I have a feeling we’ll make some noise if healthy.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 01:50 AM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
Could be worse, we could be the Oilers or Maple leafs. I don't feel like the Flames have nearly the pressure on them that Edmonton, Toronto or even Winnipeg has as far as post season success.
Definitely, and the pressure will once again be the undoing of all those teams.

There's no pressure on Calgary because nobody around the game has yet figured out what to even make of the team's sudden success, and how they fit into the "contention" landscape, as everybody was counting them out as irrelevant at best going into the campaign. Other teams have a few seasons of failures compounded along with offseason additions that has increased pressure to show progress.

Perfect time to strike - while no one is paying attention or taking you seriously.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The key will be their play down the stretch.

They've bucked the first trend of slow starts, that was big.

The next trend is the fall off after the ASB. That's also been a routine thing as well. They fall off as intensity ramps up to playoff level from other teams in the mix, even in 18-19. Sure, maybe a dip comes in the next 20. Just make sure it's not in the last 20. You ideally want your final 20 to look a lot like this first quarter in terms of consistency and attention to detail. No skidding into a berth like other years. Need to have playoff intensity going in march and april, before the big games begin, so that it's not a case of needing to ratchet up another level after finishing the schedule. I think that's what Darryl is preaching and hopefully they can employ it.

Maybe Darryl will pull out the old 4x7 game ‘series’ to end the season.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Previous Flames teams have folded late in the season when other teams ramp up and start playing playoff-style hockey. I can’t see that happening with this group, because they’re already playing playoff-style hockey.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Now is the time to get worried. They are not winning by wide enough margins. It is not enough to win -- one must humiliate the opponent.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #12
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
In 2004 I remember a quote from Iginla (maybe) that for the Flames, all the pressure was in the regular season to make the playoffs, and in the playoffs the pressure was gone and shifted to other teams.

I don't feel that way about this squad. They will have immense pressure in the playoffs, although nothing like the team to the North.
Immense pressure is right. Despite the low expectations going into the season, a 1st round loss would be unacceptable in the eyes of the fans.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:

The team to the north won't have any pressure at all in the playoffs...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I believe a lot of pressure is also based on the uncertainty surrounding Gaudreau and Tkachuk. There has to be the feeling that this could be the last chance with this group. Gaudreau also has the individual pressure of playing for a contract. As much as I want one or both of those guys to sign an extension, I think part of the early success is driven by the uncertainty.

You also have Sutter, who in all likelihood, is coaching his last team and Treliving, who was probably on thin ice at the start of the season and may not be around if things go south.

There is a lot of pressure to make things work now and time was wasting.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Super excited with both the standings and the way they are playing but its hard to forget the history & the way Johnny/Sean etc fold in the playoffs, year after year. Regular season hasnt been the issue- 18/19 won the conference, the year after we were better the standings showed as we were much better after the coaching issue/change and more often than not- we make the playoffs...

Cant wait til may!
Old 11-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #16
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Flames have provided us with some spectacular foreplay, some of the best of our lives but we won't go home happy without that explosive euphoric finish.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I believe a lot of pressure is also based on the uncertainty surrounding Gaudreau and Tkachuk. There has to be the feeling that this could be the last chance with this group. Gaudreau also has the individual pressure of playing for a contract. As much as I want one or both of those guys to sign an extension, I think part of the early success is driven by the uncertainty.

You also have Sutter, who in all likelihood, is coaching his last team and Treliving, who was probably on thin ice at the start of the season and may not be around if things go south.

There is a lot of pressure to make things work now and time was wasting.
Yeah like it or not, this is a win now team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #18
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Super excited with both the standings and the way they are playing but its hard to forget the history & the way Johnny/Sean etc fold in the playoffs, year after year. Regular season hasnt been the issue- 18/19 won the conference, the year after we were better the standings showed as we were much better after the coaching issue/change and more often than not- we make the playoffs...

Cant wait til may!

There is a big difference. In 2018-19 they were playing loose and with pace and often winning on top talent prior to the all star break, then seemed to have adjusted down the stretch. I suspect it was related in part to Peters introducing the things he wanted to see in the playoffs. (Peters, who had never been to the playoffs) Whatever it was killed that team.

Under Darryl this year, the team is playing different. When they mention checking rather than defending, that’s part of it. I don’t want to draw a conclusion about players’ abilities in the playoffs from the performance under Flames mediocre coach carousel
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

They will have their down turn ... every team does.

They already had a minor one with the loss to the Sharks, Habs, then Toronto and Philly in OT. They found some points, but people were already pointing to one win in five and worrying.

It happens.

But hopefully they continue to believe in the system (structure) and the details so those blips are expected and managed instead of panicked and abandoning the system for individual play.

Sutter is the right guy to avoid that.

But they will go through a swoon of some kind ... this team isn't going to get 119 points.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #20
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
They will have their down turn ... every team does.

But they will go through a swoon of some kind ... this team isn't going to get 119 points.
Not with that attitude.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post: