Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #2661
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought "bigoteer" was kind of funny.

But aside from referring to Rube as Socko I don't really care one way or another. Although that I care about. Where's the custom user title, mods? What's the holdup?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #2662
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's now two big tents. If you are anti-vax, religious, fiscal conservative then you're a racist and if you are pro inclusivity, pro-choice, and want healthcare you're a commie.

This is just for people on the internet too much.

I'd also say in the US both parties used to barely acknowledge their more extreme supporters. Trump led the Republicans more toward the extreme while Biden for the most part still avoids the more left wing aspects of his party.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #2663
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
This is just for people on the internet too much.

I'd also say in the US both parties used to barely acknowledge their more extreme supporters. Trump led the Republicans more toward the extreme while Biden for the most part still avoids the more left wing aspects of his party.
I don't know what kind of extreme Trump is. It's extreme but it's not right-wing extreme. Trump is barely right wing himself, he's just an opportunist and a conman. I've said this a lot, imagine a President Ted Cruz in 2016. Cruz and McConnell? Holy, we'd be talking about a flat 10% income tax and destruction of social security.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #2664
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Woke is the new term

Can we at least agree to avoid linguistic abominations like ‘wokester’?
I dunno, I like it. There are certain words and phrases that basically equate to someone waving a flag around that says “I’m A Stupid!” and I’m in no rush to have people avoid that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #2665
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
FFS.

Seriously? Gimme a break Rube. No centrist would ever be okay with fascism. Way to build a strawman.

How about this? Liberalism and discourse is the method of dismantling fascism! By exposing people to the ugly truth by engaging and showing how their ideology doesn't align with what people actually want is the only way to really stop it. Otherwise it festers continuously under the surface.

It doesn't come without stress or consternation, but it surely is the only way to actually deal with it because if you don't engage at all they become strengthened in their righteousness because they aren't being listened to.
Haha I don't even remember posting that but, while we're on the topic, Bill Maher just had Benny Shaps on his show. Is that not platforming someone with abhorrent views in the name of "both sides?"

Also this idea that discourse is what renders these ideologies obsolete is completely antiquated and not supported by factual evidence. Far-right groups who get platformed almost always see an uptick in membership any time they're debated somewhere, no matter how badly they get owned.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-07-2021 at 04:21 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #2666
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/pol...cy-backsliding

Honestly, I think one of the worst things centrists have done over the last several years has been the humanizing of fascism in the name of liberalism and discourse. These people are disingenuous grifters or (worse) zealots, and you should not seek common ground with them.
Say what you will about me as a person but I'm a first-ballot HoF drunk poster. Linked and quoted an article, minimal grammatical/spelling errors, all whilst being completely blacked out? That's talent, kids.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #2667
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Haha I don't even remember posting that but, while we're on the topic, Bill Maher just had Benny Shaps on his show. Is that not platforming someone with abhorrent views in the name of "both sides?"

Also this idea that discourse is what renders these ideologies obsolete is completely antiquated and not supported by factual evidence. Far-right groups who get platformed almost always see an uptick in membership any time they're debated somewhere, no matter how badly they get owned.

Bill Maher shares those views. Doesn't he rail on Muslims 80% of the time on his show?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #2668
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Bill Maher shares those views. Doesn't he rail on Muslims 80% of the time on his show?
Religion. He rails on religion. His point is that Islam is by far the most anti-liberal faith out there. I disagree with him on that particular point. I think Judaism and Christianity are equally anti-liberal depending on the sect.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2021, 11:17 PM   #2669
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Department of Homeland Security says online calls for violence are increasing due to election fraud and other conspiracy theories

Quote:
In a bulletin released Friday by its Office of Intelligence and Analysis, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said it has observed "an increasing but modest level of activity online" by individuals calling for violence in response to unsubstantiated claims of election fraud and the alleged "reinstatement" of former President Donald Trump.

"We are currently in a heightened terrorism-related threat environment, and DHS is aware of previous instances of violence associated with the dissemination of disinformation, false narratives, and conspiracy theories about the 2020 election," according to the bulletin provided to Insider, which was also shared with federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial officials.
Quote:
DHS is currently working on identifying and evaluating narratives and disinformation spread through social media and other online platforms that may incite violence.

In late June, John Cohen, head of the Office of Intelligence and Analysis and a top counterterrorism official, told Congress that he was worried the heightened claims of election rigging and beliefs Trump will be back in the White House could potentially lead to violence.
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/department...044558287.html
Old 08-08-2021, 05:30 AM   #2670
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Oh right, didn't Trump tell everyone that they were going to find some compelling evidence of fraud and that he would be reinstated to President by August?

Oh, nothing found you say? Let's just start breaking ####.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #2671
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Can we please ban the term ‘woke’ in this forum? The term originated in the African-American community in the 1930s to express the need to be vigilant to the dangers of racism around them. That it has been appropriated by both left and right is insulting to the original meaning.
I just woke up. What’s happening?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #2672
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Cuomo is no mo.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...7b35bdd7b2f415
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #2673
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bye.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1425127477932961793
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #2674
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1425124639802630145

Quote:
the biden administration also continues to defend title 42, a public health order issued by trump, as a way to expel most migrants without allowing them to seek asylum during the pandemic. That includes single adults and many families, though he is allowing unaccompanied children to stay in the u.s. For humanitarian reasons.

“it was one thing for the biden team to say they needed time when they first took office, but it’s now been seven months and that is no longer a valid excuse,” said lee gelernt, the lead lawyer in the american civil liberties union's case challenging the legality of using title 42 to expel families. “nowhere is that more true than the retention of the trump administration’s illegal and inhumane title 42 policy.”
Old 08-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #2675
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Now I wish his brother and CNN execs who allowed bs family ribbing would all resign. In fact, all American news networks are laughable hype creators. CNN in particular has egg on its face after this one.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #2676
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is both good and bad. Good in that Cuomo is forced out because of his behavior. Sexual harassment is a crime, per se, and Cuomo gets what he deserves. But it should be recognized this is not something that is pursued in criminal court, it is adjudicated in civil court. The bad is the outcomes will be very limited and help only a few individuals.

Now at the same time, voting rights are being threatened, health services are being negatively impacted during a pandemic, education is being curtailed, and social services are being eliminated in Republican controlled states around the country. Millions of people are being impacted by the draconian laws these legislators/legislatures are putting into effect, but no one cares. Andrew Cuomo got hit with allegations of sexual harassment, and has resigned. The media keeps their eye on the larger and more important prize, right? No. Sex and the salacious nature of the accusation is the lead.

The take away from this is using your position of authority to try and #### someone is wrong, which it definitely is, but using that same position of authority to #### millions at a time is okay. American politics in a nut shell.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #2677
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I kind of see it in the opposite light. Had Cuomo not stepped down he would have continued to distract from the very issues you mention. He would have been a huge source of whataboutism for conservatives going into election season. Now that he is stepping down everyone can move on.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #2678
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's an interesting take. I guess we'll see, but the media is very lazy and really doesn't follow issues that impact millions. They only cover the salacious. I suspect we'll see some other scandal consume much of the newshole here in the very near future, and all those important issues mentioned will continue to have high cover from the very lazy media.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #2679
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's still going to be a "huge source of whataboutism for conservatives going into election season." It's irrelevant whether Cuomo resigned or not. The Republicans don't care, they'll milk it for all it's worth, and it's still going to play about as well as it would have if Cuomo didn't resign anyway.

Had Cuomo been Republican he probably wouldn't have resigned, and it still wouldn't have mattered.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #2680
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The media keeps their eye on the larger and more important prize, right? No. Sex and the salacious nature of the accusation is the lead.
The media are also still hyper-focused on Trump's various foibles rather than discussing current policies and legislation. American political media is a complete dumpster fire.

I'm not saying Trump shouldn't be discussed at all (he's still obviously the biggest player in the GOP), but the fact that he's still the main priority of reporting for a lot of outlets 7 months after he's left office is completely absurd.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: