Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #2941
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Kinda sad to hear that the crowd higher up was not into it. We were in the first couple rows of the supporters section and it was absolutely rocking. The smoke was coming from the guy directly behind me.

The guy with the mega phone was kinda weak but everyone down low was into it.
It was hit or miss all game. Some chants caught on. Others didn't.

There were a few different guys on the megaphone, one of which (guy with the cowboy hat) did the same at Cavalry games up until a month ago. I heard some of the Edmonton supporters got on the megaphone for a bit and it sucked the life out of the section.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #2942
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Any word on the location, for the January break? Vancouver?

Yes, i think Vancouver is the only option, must be indoors.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #2943
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
It was hit or miss all game. Some chants caught on. Others didn't.

There were a few different guys on the megaphone, one of which (guy with the cowboy hat) did the same at Cavalry games up until a month ago. I heard some of the Edmonton supporters got on the megaphone for a bit and it sucked the life out of the section.

They just need some more experience.

With Canada qualifying for the next 3 world cups there will be plenty of chances to rehearse the songs and chants
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:36 PM   #2944
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The truth is some of the songs and chants on their page (Voyageurs), are just way too ambitious. There’s no way to make some of those work, even if you had weekly games.

I thought the atmosphere was pretty awesome last night. It’s really too bad that bicycle kick didn’t score, because that would’ve been incredible. Canada looked really good overall, and it was good to get the win. Mexico will be interesting, as we should be riding high and kind of have nothing to lose at this point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2021, 11:03 PM   #2945
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I imagine there will be plenty of Mexican support - Edmonton and Calgary both have over 4,000 with Mexican origins.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #2946
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sky Sports: "How Canada Became a Football Force"

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...try-has-united

The article is essentially an interview with Herdman after the Costa Rica game. Talks about his whole career including his time with the women's program.

A couple of things that stuck out to me. One, is how important Davies is to the program as a whole, not just on the pitch:

Quote:
"He also helps us learn. I remember him telling us about his preparations for the Champions League final. He is there giving us a list of the processes that Bayern went through. He told us what worked and what did not work. I ended up with three pages of notes."
And, the scope of the mess he inherited with the men's program:

Quote:
In his first two camps in charge, there were fights. "I am not talking tough tackles," says Herdman. "I am talking groups of guys getting after each other in big scuffles. They were really getting into it. I was like, 'Holy ****, what have I got into here?'

"The Scottish lads went one way, the Hispanic lads went the other. We have Colombians, Uruguayans, Scottish, Serbian, Jamaican. All sorts. That is the beauty of Canada, that diversity. It is our greatest strength but at that moment it was our greatest weakness.

Last edited by DeanOMac; 11-14-2021 at 06:56 AM.
DeanOMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DeanOMac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #2947
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Kinda sad to hear that the crowd higher up was not into it. We were in the first couple rows of the supporters section and it was absolutely rocking. The smoke was coming from the guy directly behind me.

The guy with the mega phone was kinda weak but everyone down low was into it.

We were into it, it was just to hard to hear anything at all. Good time none the less.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #2948
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great result for Canada, though it was a bit of a dud of a game. And I blame the field and weather for that.

I get that they want the weather to be a home advantage, but it ruined the game IMO. And it is going to be around -10 and possible snow for the game Tuesday. The field will be ice and the ball will be a rock.

It also sucks for fans. Three hours outside at -10 is absolute torture. It detracts from the experience and minimizes the greatness of the event.

What a waste.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #2949
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Great result for Canada, though it was a bit of a dud of a game. And I blame the field and weather for that.

I get that they want the weather to be a home advantage, but it ruined the game IMO. And it is going to be around -10 and possible snow for the game Tuesday. The field will be ice and the ball will be a rock.

It also sucks for fans. Three hours outside at -10 is absolute torture. It detracts from the experience and minimizes the greatness of the event.

What a waste.
50,000 fans think different.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #2950
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What a waste.
It wasn’t even cold on Friday. I had a toque and mitts and never once considered putting them on (in hindsight, mitts for the end of game flare/smoke might’ve been a good safety precaution but I was unscathed!)

I guess Tuesday might be another story, but the Cavalry game a few weeks ago was much, much colder than Friday.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #2951
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

If we make the World Cup, Jon Herdman should be made an honorary member of the Order of Canada.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #2952
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It wasn’t even cold on Friday. I had a toque and mitts and never once considered putting them on (in hindsight, mitts for the end of game flare/smoke might’ve been a good safety precaution but I was unscathed!)

I guess Tuesday might be another story, but the Cavalry game a few weeks ago was much, much colder than Friday.
Yep. All I wore was a dryfit long sleeve shirt, then a soccer jersey on top with toque. I brought winter gear, but there was no need.

Tuesday seems like it'll be a completely different experience
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #2953
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What a waste.
"absolute torture"

Ease up there a bit.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #2954
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

-10 and the trail ends of a snowstorm.

So in other words, a normal Grey Cup experience.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #2955
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What a waste.
I dont know about that. People attended the Winter Classic and it was a lot colder than that.

And that was just a regular season game.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #2956
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

We will see how the Mexico game goes but I'm sure they picked Edmonton to make Mexico uncomfortable and give Canada the strongest home support over Mexican supporters.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #2957
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
We will see how the Mexico game goes but I'm sure they picked Edmonton to make Mexico uncomfortable and give Canada the strongest home support over Mexican supporters.
Edmonton makes everyone uncomfortable.

Hopefully the crowd is loud & supportive. It was pretty good on Friday but for 48,000+ people, I thought it would have been louder. Would be great if the fans could really "build a fortress", as Herdman puts it.

The turf was noticeably rough on Friday as well. I'm curious how the snow and colder temps will have an effect on the play, but with the ball rock hard & bouncing around wildly it's hard to think it will give anyone an advantage.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #2958
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think fandom will be a process in this country. The majority of people literally don't know how to be soccer fans. There were so many hockey jerseys at that game, it was rather comical. The only chants that caught on were hockey chants, ie - "LET'S GO CANADA, DA DA DA DA DA!" Toronto fans have TFC, so they know how to be soccer fans for the most part. I've heard chants caught on better for the games held there, so no surprise.

This drive for the WC is creating a lot of new fans, and that's what it's all about. The CMNT has been less than an afterthought for decades now, as we were completely irrelevant. It's no surprise that fans maybe weren't as loud as expected, but this is a process, and I'm loving it.

I'm going up for the game tomorrow with about 25 others. It is going to be unreal, no matter the weather.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #2959
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that you have to give people a pass for the jerseys. They're red (largely) and easy to throw on over a jacket or whatever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #2960
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that you have to give people a pass for the jerseys. They're red (largely) and easy to throw on over a jacket or whatever.
Also the cost of stuff there was damn crazy.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post: