Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #2681
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I've always wondered if I ever had chicken pox. My mom isn't certain if they had the vaccine at the time and says I've never had chicken pox. I was born in 1980 and raised in Calgary. Would I have been automatically been given the chicken pox vaccine in those years?
no

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24099868/
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #2682
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've always wondered if I ever had chicken pox. My mom isn't certain if they had the vaccine at the time and says I've never had chicken pox. I was born in 1980 and raised in Calgary. Would I have been automatically been given the chicken pox vaccine in those years?
My wife mentioned that to her doctor once, and the doctor sent her for antibody tests, as apparently it's quite serious for adults, and if you don't already have antibodies you should be vaccinated as an adult. She had antibodies (so must have had a mild case as a kid).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #2683
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Almost definitely not; you would have been in your 20s before it was used widely in Canada. You can get vaccinated as an adult though, and it'd be a good idea to do so, as an infection can be much more severe as an adult.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #2684
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I was born in the same year, and as far as I know there was no vaccine available at that time. If there was, I don't know why my parents wouldn't have just given it to us, instead of hosting a chicken pox party in our backyard....maybe my parents are just cruel.
Ha. Actually, when I visited my cousins in Hong Kong one year, they all had chicken pox and my mom left me in rooms with them to play and I still didn't get it!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #2685
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha. Actually, when I visited my cousins in Hong Kong one year, they all had chicken pox and my mom left me in rooms with them to play and I still didn't get it!
It's also possible you had an asymptomatic or extremely mild infection that didn't present as a rash. I believe that's pretty rare, but it can happen. Probably worth talking to a doctor about getting vaccinated and then they may check you for antibodies.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #2686
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Iím about the same age and never had chicken pox, so our doctor recommended I get the anti-body test when I was in my teens. Came back I had anti-bodies, so I should be good to go.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #2687
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting seeing the US death graph start to surpass the fall Delta wave. Makes me wonder if they sill have lots of Delta circulating and killing, or if their deaths are Omicron, and it's just a result of their ignoring reality.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #2688
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, didn't realize our deaths had creeped up like that as well, looking to hit new peaks. it's OK though, they are all old or have comorbidities.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:58 PM   #2689
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Interesting seeing the US death graph start to surpass the fall Delta wave. Makes me wonder if they sill have lots of Delta circulating and killing, or if their deaths are Omicron, and it's just a result of their ignoring reality.
Definitely some deaths are being caused by Delta holdouts. Also, very poor vaccination rates and lots of co-morbidities. Also, we're likely seeing a greater proportion of deaths "with Covid" now as the virus is so widespread.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #2690
Aarongavey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Best to blame Delta otherwise we may not get back to normal.

Speaking of normal, average normal MLA Peter Guthrie had a message today

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterGuth...vxsK-ywSw&s=19
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #2691
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wow, didn't realize our deaths had creeped up like that as well, looking to hit new peaks. it's OK though, they are all old or have comorbidities.
Pretty much. Gotta thin the herd of the weak and disease ridden. It will make us strong as a society.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #2692
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Everyone was getting Covid at some point. The goal was to be in the best position to defend yourself from it when you got. Everyone who cares has been boosted. So the death rate you currently see is a result of a high quantity of cases over a short amount of time in a population that wasn’t enthusiastic about a 3rd dose.

There isn’t a lock down until X option right now. We can move the wave around a bit and change the number of people getting hit this time a small amount. However that death rate is what Covid looks like.

It sucks.

People should get boosted.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2022, 06:50 PM   #2693
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Pretty much. Gotta thin the herd of the weak and disease ridden. It will make us strong as a society.
If too many unvaccinated survive they'll drag down the average IQ by quite a bit though.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:05 PM   #2694
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Everyone was getting Covid at some point. The goal was to be in the best position to defend yourself from it when you got. Everyone who cares has been boosted. So the death rate you currently see is a result of a high quantity of cases over a short amount of time in a population that wasnít enthusiastic about a 3rd dose.

There isnít a lock down until X option right now. We can move the wave around a bit and change the number of people getting hit this time a small amount. However that death rate is what Covid looks like.

It sucks.

People should get boosted.

I agree with you for the most part but we also havent had great vaccine messaging around boosters and around getting kids vaccinated in a lot of provinces.

In Ontario, they haven't offered vaccines in schools to kids. And the whole booster messaging was that it's not needed or authorized until all hell breaks loose. So you end up in a situation where everyone is chasing doses at the same time and you can't get them for weeks. Just not a plan for success.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-26-2022, 10:52 PM   #2695
ikaris
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I agree with you for the most part but we also havent had great vaccine messaging around boosters and around getting kids vaccinated in a lot of provinces.

In Ontario, they haven't offered vaccines in schools to kids. And the whole booster messaging was that it's not needed or authorized until all hell breaks loose. So you end up in a situation where everyone is chasing doses at the same time and you can't get them for weeks. Just not a plan for success.
I’m still not entirely sure how deaths and hospitalizations will be greatly reduced by getting kids vaccinated?

It seems if you’ve been double vaccinated, it would make sense to get boosted if you haven’t gotten infected yet. And also boosting should be prioritized by age at least if we are having supply issues.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote