Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #101
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope the heats continue to dominate and maybe even win a championship. Ahl championships havent been talked about much when it comes to building a contender, not since the Red Wings were dominant, i believe. When was the last time an AHL team was this good without relying on seasoned vets and former NHLers? Could be why our prospect ranking is in the top half. Exciting.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #102
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The list to end all lists.
Yeah, it's just one person's opinion, obviously.

But what I like about this list is that it includes all players under 23. Doesn't matter if they're already in the NHL or whatever, and why should it? Zegres, for example, is a great young player for Anaheim, and he should be included in any evaluation of young talent.

So, whether I agree with Wheeler's actual rankings, I can absolutely agree that he structured it the right way
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #103
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

To clarify these are the criteria for the lists.
- Pronman's list is a simple ranking of all players under 23 years old, and thus includes full time NHLers within that age range
- Wheeler's list of organizations is based on: players must be under 23 years old, and not a full time NHLer. He calls this an "arbitrary section" of the criteria on whether someone is an NHL player or not. And then to be included the player must be either signed to an NHL contract or selected in the draft. Goalies must be under 25 years old and not currently one of the NHL club's two go to options.

So that's how he goes about it. As such, Zegras may in fact be excluded.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 01-25-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 01:18 PM   #104
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could argue both approaches are useful.

Including everyone U23 gives a complete picture of young talent.

Not including NHLers gives you an idea of what is on the horizon. But of course it doesn't consider the natural improvement from any young NHLers currently playing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #105
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
To clarify these are the criteria for the lists.
- Pronman's list is a simple ranking of all players under 23 years old, and thus includes full time NHLers within that age range
- Wheeler's list of organization is based on: players must be under 23 years old, and not a full time NHLer. He calls this an "arbitrary section" of the criteria on whether someone is an NHL player or not. And then to be included the player must be either signed to an NHL contract or selected in the draft. Goalies must be under 25 years old and not currently one of the NHL club's two go to options.

So that's how he goes about it. As such, Zegras may in fact be excluded.
Thanks for clarifying. Based on that, I prefer Pronman's method, even though I don't think very highly of his player rankings as a rule.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #106
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I could argue both approaches are useful.

Including everyone U23 gives a complete picture of young talent.

Not including NHLers gives you an idea of what is on the horizon. But of course it doesn't consider the natural improvement from any young NHLers currently playing.
Except 19 and 20 year olds that are already in the NHL are definitely part of that horizon - and likely a huge part of it.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #107
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Except 19 and 20 year olds that are already in the NHL are definitely part of that horizon - and likely a huge part of it.
That’s what i was trying to say by factoring in improvement of these young players which Wheeler’s method doesn’t really account for.

But I do get what he is doing. There’s the NHL team and then there’s prospects. You can evaluate the future strength of both separately if you’d like.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote