Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #941
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...la-2022-01-03/

Electric cars made up nearly two thirds of Norway's new sales in 2021, with Tesla the top selling automobile brand overall, as the country pursues its goal of becoming the first to end the sale of petrol and diesel cars.

Overall new sales in Norway rose by 25% in 2021 to a record 176,276 cars, of which 65% were fully electric. This market share was up from 54% in 2020.
Is Norway also pursuing a goal to be the first major O&G producer to end the production of fossil fuels? If they are I applaud that as well.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #942
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...la-2022-01-03/

Electric cars made up nearly two thirds of Norway's new sales in 2021, with Tesla the top selling automobile brand overall, as the country pursues its goal of becoming the first to end the sale of petrol and diesel cars.

Overall new sales in Norway rose by 25% in 2021 to a record 176,276 cars, of which 65% were fully electric. This market share was up from 54% in 2020.
The tax incentives give EVs a huge benefit in Norway. A 22,046€ VW Golf has 12,030€ of taxes for a total cost of 34,076€. A VW e-Golf has a price of 33,037€ and a total cost of 33,286€.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 07:09 PM   #943
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Is Norway also pursuing a goal to be the first major O&G producer to end the production of fossil fuels? If they are I applaud that as well.
What hurts the most is that they can do this because they literally studied and copied Alberta's Heritage Fund, and they reinvested the oil & gas money wisely instead of burning through it like we did.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 12:27 AM   #944
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What hurts the most is that they can do this because they literally studied and copied Alberta's Heritage Fund, and they reinvested the oil & gas money wisely instead of burning through it like we did.
We had way more fun though!!!!
Old 01-05-2022, 12:38 AM   #945
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Norway is a country. Alberta is a province that re-distributed massive funds to the rest of the country.

But okay, continue on pretending that never happened.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 07:12 AM   #946
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Norway is a country. Alberta is a province that re-distributed massive funds to the rest of the country.

But okay, continue on pretending that never happened.
While that's definitely part of it, I don't think Norway funneled any resource revenues into general revenue. Instead, they have a 25% VAT. So while it's easy to dismiss as Alberta being a province with transfer payments, we've still made terrible financial decisions around a PST, and we pay for it every year.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:16 AM   #947
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
While that's definitely part of it, I don't think Norway funneled any resource revenues into general revenue. Instead, they have a 25% VAT. So while it's easy to dismiss as Alberta being a province with transfer payments, we've still made terrible financial decisions around a PST, and we pay for it every year.
Their income tax rates are also higher than we pay (Canada and Alberta combined). Norway as a society accepted much higher taxes in return for building this fund. That was also not without it's problems.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:39 PM   #948
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

New BMW color changing paint on the electric iX is pretty sweet.

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-05-2022 at 01:49 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #949
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I helped my MIL buy a new small SUV this week, and the winner out of plenty of Audis, the Porsche Macan, Jag, Land Rover, VW, Acura, Lexus... was the Volvo XC40 Recharge Ultimate (the pure electric Volvo). Crystal white, 20" wheels, loaded loaded. That vehicle is goddamned gorgeous, and a fantastic drive. I would happily buy one for myself as a second vehicle.

Spoiler!

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-28-2022 at 04:55 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 08:30 AM   #950
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I helped my MIL buy a new small SUV this week, and the winner out of plenty of Audis, the Porsche Macan, Jag, Land Rover, VW, Acura, Lexus... was the Volvo XC40 Recharge Ultimate (the pure electric Volvo). Crystal white, 20" wheels, loaded loaded. That vehicle is goddamned gorgeous, and a fantastic drive. I would happily buy one for myself as a second vehicle.

My wife is considering one of these. Her Model S is 6 years old. We have a v90 cross country and love it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:39 AM   #951
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My co-worker just put money down on an Ioniq 5 RWD. Traded in his Civic that he basically got a free 2 year rental on since the used car market is so hot right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 10:00 AM   #952
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
My mother had a XC90 a few years ago. I drove it down to Palm Springs and it was awesome!

She later bought a Tesla X. I prefer the Volvo to be honest
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:06 AM   #953
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My co-worker just put money down on an Ioniq 5 RWD. Traded in his Civic that he basically got a free 2 year rental on since the used car market is so hot right now.
I really like the look of those, other than every colour is a shade of gray. OK, well there is one blue-gray.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 10:09 AM   #954
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol I'm not usually a fan of white cars but if I was getting an Ioniq 5 I might get the white just to avoid all the greys.

I'll hold out hoping they do some cool colours for an N version of it.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:19 AM   #955
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I saw one of those in the NW last week. Looked great in person and I realize it's considered a CUV but in person it looks straight up like a hatchback car. That's a good thing to a car guy like me but if buyers are expecting an SUV they may be a little disappointed.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:49 PM   #956
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
My mother had a XC90 a few years ago. I drove it down to Palm Springs and it was awesome!

She later bought a Tesla X. I prefer the Volvo to be honest
I'll admit I've had a bit of an automotive blind spot when it came to Volvos over the last 20 years (other than the 2004-07 Volvo S60R). But after checking them out in the dealership, I was thoroughly impressed by the brand.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 07:50 PM   #957
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I'll admit I've had a bit of an automotive blind spot when it came to Volvos over the last 20 years (other than the 2004-07 Volvo S60R). But after checking them out in the dealership, I was thoroughly impressed by the brand.
The automobile brand itself is completely Chinese owned now under the Geely group. You'll see a lot of the Volvo tech shared with the other brand under their umbrella that is purely EV called Polestar.

Not that the national status should impact your vehicle purchase choices but it's not a Swedish car anymore. The Chinese make some of the most innovative EVs today.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:58 PM   #958
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Well as I was complaining earlier, my "car hunter" guy found me a Santa Fe PHEV... went for a test drive and put a deposit down... hopefully pick it up Thursday or Friday Merry Xmas to me!
So fast forward a month and a bit... I never got the Santa Fe... everything was finalized and approved, but then the day before I picked it up, Hyundai sent out a stop sale on the Santa Fe PHEV due to a faulty display cluster, apparently in cold weather the display inverted and reversed.

So a month with no update on a fix from Hyundai, and with the dealership not seeming to concerned and sitting on my deposit.. I was cancelled the deal, as I can't be without a vehicle any longer and I was fed up with their crappy customer service (not returning messages) among other terrible crap. The dealership was horrible to deal with, the sales manager actually yelled at me for asking for a promotion offer they had advertised because they weren't making enough on the vehicle. I was told repeatedly that they should have sold the car for way more than I had agreed to (MSRP + their crappy dealer adds).

So that being said, I went back to the dealership with the 2020 Ioniq that I had been eyeing up and made a pretty good deal for it... pick it up on Wednesday. It's a perfect commuter car for me... and we factory ordered a 2023 Tucson PHEV to replace my wife's Escape (when it comes in July or August). So come the summer my household will be pretty electrified!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:47 AM   #959
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

website advertisement lead me to a electric car brand I had not previously heard of:

https://www.fiskerinc.com/ocean
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #960
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Fisker is awesome!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: