Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2024, 09:47 PM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

North Korea redefines its relationship with South Korea

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...th-2024-01-04/

Quote:
Since the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a stalemate, both nations have had policies that treat each other differently than other countries.
That has included relying on special agencies and ministries for inter-Korean relations rather than their foreign ministries, and embracing policies for a future peaceful reunification, usually envisioning a single state with two systems.
But in remarks to a year-end party meeting last week, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said peaceful reunification is impossible, and said the government would make a “decisive policy change” in relations with the "enemy". He also ordered the military to be prepared to pacify and occupy the South in the event of a crisis.

The changes in policy could help North Korea justify using nuclear weapons against the South, as it has increasingly threatened in recent years, said Hong Min, a senior researcher at the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul.
"If they give up on peaceful unification and redefine South Korea as a hostile enemy country with no diplomatic relations, the contradiction of using nuclear weapons against the same people will be eliminated," Hong said.

Kim names his daughter as his successor.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67889211

Quote:
It is the first time the National Intelligence Service has acknowledged Kim Ju Ae as Mr Kim's heir.
However, the NIS said that it was still considering "all possibilities" in Pyongyang's succession plan.
Miss Kim has kept a high profile since first appearing in public in late 2022.
"Based on a comprehensive analysis of public activities and the level of respect for Kim Ju Ae since her initial public appearance, at present, she appears to be the most likely successor," said the NIS.

Kim ordered increases on mobile weapon lauchers

https://abcnews.go.com/International...unch-106119493

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered authorities to increase production of mobile launch vehicles for missiles because the country faces a looming military showdown with its enemies, state media reported Friday, as it pushes to make its launches harder to detect.
The report on Kim’s order came hours after the White House said U.S. intelligence has determined that North Korea has supplied ballistic missile launchers to Russia for its war in Ukraine. The U.S. and its allies have previously accused North Korea of sending artillery and ammunition to Russia in return for Russian technologies to enhance its own military programs.
The official Korean Central News Agency said Kim visited a factory that produces transport erector launchers, or TELs, without saying when he went or where the factory is.

South Korea orders the evacuation of 2000 citizen's on Yeonpyeong Island due to provocations by North Korea.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240105005300315

Quote:
SEOUL, Jan. 5 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has ordered civilians on the western border island of Yeonpyeong Island to evacuate to shelters, officials said Friday, amid apparent signs of a military provocation by North Korea.
The emergency evacuation order was given at 12:02 p.m. and again at 12:30 p.m. on Friday at the request of the South Korean military, according to the local county office.
"We announced the evacuation after receiving a call from a military unit saying it was carrying out a maritime strike on Yeongpyeong Island as it has a situation with a North Korean provocation," an official said.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:10 PM   #62
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

2020 really is the decade of the ass#### dictator it seems
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:33 PM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember when Kim Jung Un took over for his old man, and there was this theory that because he was young, he'd be progressive and a reformer and would open up North Korea.

Instead he's far more dangerous then his old man and his dottering Grandfather. He's every bit as corrupt, and he has carried on the traditions of his father in terms of how his people are treated.

At the same time, he might be even more cagey then his old man as he plays the military off against the MSS, he knows how to rule through fear as well as he leads the league in familiar executions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:23 AM   #64
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I remember when Kim Jung Un took over for his old man, and there was this theory that because he was young, he'd be progressive and a reformer and would open up North Korea.

Instead he's far more dangerous then his old man and his dottering Grandfather. He's every bit as corrupt, and he has carried on the traditions of his father in terms of how his people are treated.

At the same time, he might be even more cagey then his old man as he plays the military off against the MSS, he knows how to rule through fear as well as he leads the league in familiar executions.
Yeah I recall the same. Buddy was educated in Switzerland, had "western" friends who were interviewed and said he was a normal guy who liked western things like basketball and video games. Didn't he do a bunch of progressive reforms his first few months in office, I recall? Things like open internet access and such? It was a glorious day when his father died and I do remember a lot of optimism with his son becoming heir and how the NK elite wouldn't like that.

Then he went nuts, blew up his uncle with an artillery cannon, had his brother murdered his brother at an airport, and has gone completely wild since. What a disgusting family from top to bottom. A true stain on humanity. His daughter will be no better, guaranteed.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-05-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:27 AM   #65
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Worries me about what happens when Putin eventually dies or is dispatched that the next one may be worse.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kim is crazy , north korea , nuclear threat