Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default All things Global Miltiary

I couldn't find the old thread, and thought I'd start up a new one that looks at military activities on a more global stage. I think we leave out the Ukraine conflict as there's a thread that covers that.

China shows their displeasure with the US defense spending bill and the provisions for the defense of Taiwan

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/china-s...ours-1.6209026

Quote:
TAIPEI, Taiwan - China's military sent 71 planes and seven ships toward Taiwan in a 24-hour display of force directed at the self-ruled island, Taiwan's Defense Ministry said Monday, after China expressed anger at Taiwan-related provisions in a U.S. annual defence spending bill.
China's military harassment of Taiwan, which it claims is its own territory, has intensified in recent years, and the Communist Party's People's Liberation Army has sent planes or ships toward the island on a near-daily basis.
Between 6 a.m. Sunday and 6 a.m. Monday, 47 of the Chinese planes crossed the median of the Taiwan Strait, an unofficial boundary once tacitly accepted by both sides, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.
Quote:
"This is a firm response to the current U.S.-Taiwan escalation and provocation," said Shi Yi, the spokesman for the PLA's Eastern Theater Command, in a statement on Sunday night. It announced that the PLA was holding joint combat patrols and joint strike drills in the waters around Taiwan.
Shi was referring to the U.S. defence spending bill, which calls China a strategic challenge. With regard to the Indo-Pacific region, the legislation authorizes increased security cooperation with Taiwan and requires expanded cooperation with India on emerging defence technologies, readiness and logistics.
They used the J-16 which is a modified SU-27, There are two variants to it. The J-16 and the J-16D which is an electronic warfare aircraft. The article talks about J-1's but they don't exist. I think they're talking about the J-10 which is a 4th generation multirole.

They didn't include their 5th generation J-20's nor any of the H-6 strategic bombers.

The Chinese also had a carrier exercise about 500km off of Okinawa using their carrier the Liaoning formerly the Riga Kuznetsov class carrier.

While this was about China showing displeasure at increased US support for Tiawan. This was also a targeting mission where China could not only map Taiwan's and the US readiness in the Region, but to update their target lists and understand the strong and the weakspots in Taiwans air and sea defense.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #2
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Japan recently also published their plans to rapidly remilitarize.

https://asiatimes.com/2022/12/japan-...tning-speed%2F
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Japan recently also published their plans to rapidly remilitarize.

https://asiatimes.com/2022/12/japan-...tning-speed%2F
This is pretty big and will change the power dynamic in East Asia. I know Japan's militaristic past is always a lingering concern, but I think they have grown a lot and had a huge cultural shift since then, so I don't think there should be a real concern. I still see how China might be a little anxious about it. They really should be blaming North Korea and Russia for this though.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
This is pretty big and will change the power dynamic in East Asia. I know Japan's militaristic past is always a lingering concern, but I think they have grown a lot and had a huge cultural shift since then, so I don't think there should be a real concern. I still see how China might be a little anxious about it. They really should be blaming North Korea and Russia for this though.
They also have a border dispute with Korea as well. So these tomahawks possibly could be used on Seoul as well
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
How have they grown a lot? The Conservative group in Japan has been in power forever and continue to deny and downplay their prior regime's doings from the past. If they took the stance Germany did after WW2, I'd feel better, but from what I've seen, they've failed at every opportunity.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Taiwan extends the length of their required military service today because of the threat from China.

Also South Korea is going to increase spending on their air defense due to incursions from North Korean drones.

With Japan massively increasing their military spending, suddenly Asia and not the middle east is the worlds tinderbox.

Old 01-07-2023, 04:39 PM   #7
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read the opinion piece below just now related to Japan's re-militarization and his argument, "Why Japan is not an acceptable military ally".

https://johnmenadue.com/why-japan-is...military-ally/

Quote:
There is some terrible double-foolishness afoot, that is certain to be widely noticed beyond the Western bubble. Australia is stepping forward with gusto to secure its position as a best-military-buddy not only with America, the most warlike nation in history, according to Jimmy Carter, but also with Japan, one of the 20th#century’s most infamous warmongers, presently rearming with alarming relish. You are, as they say, known by the company you keep.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What the hell did I just read?

I don't believe its based in any kind of realism of the current situation, and really doesn't talk about China's mass modernization of their military and their aggressive posturing that has to be concerning Japan.

I'll have to read it again, but a premise that China believes that Japan believes it has unfinished business with Japan is kind of insane. And no matter how much Japan militarizes itself and no matter how much Australia militarizes even combined with the American Military a mass offensive posture against China in China's own back yard isn't going to happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2023, 06:11 PM   #9
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wasn't the writer's point (in my opinion anyway). His point was around why Japan shouldn't be an acceptable ally given their continued persistence to minimize their own country's actions and in some cases deny them altogether. He brings up China (which seems to be your focus here) but also mentions Korea as well when talking about Japan's history.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:01 PM   #10
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The author seems pretty clearly to be directing his message at an Australian audience, trying to persuade them to reconsider allying themselves with a country that has continued to deny the history of their military atrocities. It reads as an appeal to the moral conscience of his audience in choosing their friends rather than making predictions about what will happen.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:21 PM   #11
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is kind of a long talk (50 mins), and it could probably go just as well in the American politics thread or the Ukraine thread, but I think it adds great context to potential emerging military conflicts such as any potential direct military conflict with China from the perspective of economics and global governance. Some of the observations he discusses include:

• the United States as unable to function as the hegemonic dominator of the world economy

• the emergence of new blocks in the world, such as the Chinese block, which includes allies like India, Iran, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia

• economic nationalism as the new logical reality governing the world economic system, and the decline of the United States

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote