Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2022, 06:51 AM   #5801
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
That almost debunks it
Really? Pat is in Montreal... I would think he has chatted with lots of insiders etc.

No idea if the trade rumor is real

However the Fan960 comment is weird.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #5802
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Really? Pat is in Montreal... I would think he has chatted with lots of insiders etc.

Well I would guess someone on the radio was reading CP last night.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:54 AM   #5803
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the crazy thing, if the Flames rebuild, they have a lot of pieces that would get big returns. Of they got good younger players and picks/prospects, I think they would have an easier time selling hope to the fans.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:56 AM   #5804
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post

I was being flippant.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:56 AM   #5805
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Well I would guess someone on the radio was reading CP last night.
Or someone on CP listened to the radio
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #5806
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never really felt that the Flames would lose both Gaudreau and Tkachuk but it's beginning to look like that's a real possibility now. I don't know if things would have been any different if they were Canadian born players but if both players indeed leave, the Flames need to be a more proactive with their US born players a few years prior to free agency as we are turning into Columbus north here watching our best players walk for no assets in return and it's going to cripple this franchise.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #5807
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
That's the crazy thing, if the Flames rebuild, they have a lot of pieces that would get big returns. Of they got good younger players and picks/prospects, I think they would have an easier time selling hope to the fans.
I agree. This combined with a pretty good prospect pool already. Guys like tanev, markstrom, backlund and Tkachuk would get us an absolute haul.

If forced in to a rebuild it may only take 2 years of really sucking. Of course it could all go wrong, but our scouting staff is good and our ahl development is as good as it's ever been.

Saying this I'm still hopeful johnny and Matthew are both signed long term
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 07:07 AM   #5808
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Selling hope? Sure
Selling tickets? Not so sure
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:10 AM   #5809
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I never really felt that the Flames would lose both Gaudreau and Tkachuk but it's beginning to look like that's a real possibility now. I don't know if things would have been any different if they were Canadian born players but if both players indeed leave, the Flames need to be a more proactive with their US born players a few years prior to free agency as we are turning into Columbus north here watching our best players walk for no assets in return and it's going to cripple this franchise.
I think the reason many on here, Twitter etc are starting to freak out is because many thought both eventually wanted to leave. With both players saying they want to be here long term and the team playing at a high level it really seemed like there was a good chance we can keep both. Now with Johnny sitting on an offer for over a month and Chucky rumors from Lebrun peoples initial thoughts and concerns are creeping back in.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:20 AM   #5810
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW - the only big clients Lewis Gross has that have reached large contract status are: https://puckpedia.com/agent/lewis-gross

Nylander
Krug
Saad
Dumoulin

Nylander held out until the last 5 minutes he was eligible to sign with the Leafs for the season.

Krug left the Bruins as a UFA - but most indications are that he just wanted the biggest contract he could sign, so it was a money thing.

Saad's rights were traded to Columbus where he signed. I will assume that is a money thing as well.

Dumoulin signed long term before he hit UFA status.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 07:29 AM   #5811
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
FWIW - the only big clients Lewis Gross has that have reached large contract status are: https://puckpedia.com/agent/lewis-gross

Nylander
Krug
Saad
Dumoulin

Nylander held out until the last 5 minutes he was eligible to sign with the Leafs for the season.

Krug left the Bruins as a UFA - but most indications are that he just wanted the biggest contract he could sign, so it was a money thing.

Saad's rights were traded to Columbus where he signed. I will assume that is a money thing as well.

This just goes to show that Gross is a punk and a terrible agent for his clients. All of those guys ruined the relationship with the team and were never the same post contract disputes. Nylander is maybe the exception but plenty of smoke that he's on the way out of Toronto next.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #5812
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This just goes to show that Gross is a punk and a terrible agent for his clients. All of those guys ruined the relationship with the team and were never the same post contract disputes.
Well he sure has a lot of players that like him and sign with him.Its not like the players dont know his reputation.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:33 AM   #5813
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post

Nylander
Krug
Saad
Dumoulin

Krug also held out until the last moment on his RFA deal. And of course, Gaudreau’s RFA deal had him missing training camp.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:36 AM   #5814
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They wouldn't give up Bratt, I would ask for 2023 1st instead. If they don't figure out goaltending, they won't be good
They might give up Bratt if he’s being difficult in negotiations and isn’t happy, which is apparently the case. Or was a couple weeks ago.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:42 AM   #5815
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Selling hope? Sure
Selling tickets? Not so sure
Or they stay the course, lose their star players and have no success AND no hope! That's such a great idea that they won't sell tickets, they'll sell the whole team!
Old 07-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #5816
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Is this a legit rumour? They are talking about just this on 960 right now.
SN960 gets a lot of their talking points from reading CP.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #5817
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the reason many on here, Twitter etc are starting to freak out is because many thought both eventually wanted to leave. With both players saying they want to be here long term and the team playing at a high level it really seemed like there was a good chance we can keep both. Now with Johnny sitting on an offer for over a month and Chucky rumors from Lebrun peoples initial thoughts and concerns are creeping back in.
Years ago I was positive both would leave but over the last year both players have done a really good job selling fans (including me) and likely even the team that they love playing here and would love to stay. It's starting to look like all that was just a matter of saying the right things while holding their true intentions close to the vest. At least in the case of Tkachuk the Flames will know his true intentions this summer so there's the chance of recouping some assets there. Still tough to lose two 100 point players at a point where the team only has three draft picks in the draft as this is as undesirable of an offseason as it gets.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:00 AM   #5818
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hourly check in on status commence today.

Crossing my fingers of SOMETHING happening...
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #5819
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Or they stay the course, lose their star players and have no success AND no hope! That's such a great idea that they won't sell tickets, they'll sell the whole team!
It is idiotic to think that the Flames would just sit on their hands while Tkachuk walks away into free agency. His situation is totally different from Gaudreau's, and much easier to move at any point heading up to the TD. If it gets to this, then the same pieces the Flames have that they can turn into picks and prospects now will still be there in a year. There is no great urgency here to pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #5820
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Years ago I was positive both would leave but over the last year both players have done a really good job selling fans (including me) and likely even the team that they love playing here and would love to stay. It's starting to look like all that was just a matter of saying the right things while holding their true intentions close to the vest. At least in the case of Tkachuk the Flames will know his true intentions this summer so there's the chance of recouping some assets there. Still tough to lose two 100 point players at a point where the team only has three draft picks in the draft as this is as undesirable of an offseason as it gets.
I think in the case of Johnny, he always felt that Calgary was a very great place to play, but his marriage to an Eastern US girl and his baby on the way may have given him some other thoughts. I do know he'd be conflicted to leave Calgary. I doubt this is any power play to increase the offer.

Tkachuk I always assumed he'd sign if the offer was large enough, especially if that contract was pre-UFA. Tkachuk may want to test UFA simply as a means of increasing that offer. I doubt that Calgary will gamble a second time., so he could easily be moved.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win