Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2022, 07:59 PM   #3801
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would JG sign a contract until 1 minute before the 8 year deal window expires ? Unless he’s worried about getting hurt I’m the offseason having a beer on the patio

His agents job is the maximize his contract . He maximum leverage is 10 minutes before the 8 year option expires

Whether JG signs or not I have no clue - but I certainly don’t get more worried by the day
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #3802
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Why would JG sign a contract until 1 minute before the 8 year deal window expires ? Unless he’s worried about getting hurt I’m the offseason having a beer on the patio

His agents job is the maximize his contract . He maximum leverage is 10 minutes before the 8 year option expires

Whether JG signs or not I have no clue - but I certainly don’t get more worried by the day
Because the Flames will have moved on and that opportunity will no longer be available. As LeBrun said the Flames will need to know before the eve of free agency. If it doesn' happen the week after the finals are over he's likely going to free agency and the Flames are likely zeroing in on key free agents that they feel can fill the void.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 08:28 PM   #3803
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Because the Flames will have moved on and that opportunity will no longer be available. As LeBrun said the Flames will need to know before the eve of free agency. If it doesn' happen the week after the finals are over he's likely going to free agency and the Flames are likely zeroing in on key free agents that they feel can fill the void.
I don't believe that at all. The Flames may be thinking of other ways to go come FA but they will be trying to get the deal done right up until he signs elsewhere. Saying he is likely going to FA if he doesn't sign the week after the finals is pure speculation, history says otherwise.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #3804
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine by now that Flames have a good idea how this will turn out. If Gaudreau’s camp not saying much and you’re just in pitch mode, quite a bit less like he stays. Hopefully there is some back and forth happening.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:50 PM   #3805
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As mentioned a few weeks ago, both sides very likely know how this is turning out by this point.

Numbers and interested suitors have been finalized probably before the playoffs were over for the Flames, through, as mentioned, the various back channels of agents and intermediary people.

Gaudreau, if he's leaving, is not holding the Flames hostage by delaying any decision to the club, he would likely have already told them. Of course the the club would be using the same back channels right now to figure how who they may be able to get and how much as far as a UFA.

JG agent and him and the Flames know generally how much other teams will offer, and the Flames offer is probably pretty concrete too.

If he's staying, it's having him come back for a proper presser and make a big splash before Stampede week or during Stampede week.

Any of the "wait to see what offers were there" and other agent speak is or will be just posturing and PR positioning for lessening the blow to Flames fans or pumping them up even more, when he goes or stays.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #3806
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
There likely is a huge difference,

Stamkos and Landeskog had zero intention of leaving their teams. And everyone knew it.

I doubt that Johnny’s view is that it’s Calgary or nothing.
This is nonsense. There was plenty of ongoing uncertainty about whethe4 either Stamkos or Landeskog would come to terms with their teams.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #3807
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't believe that at all. The Flames may be thinking of other ways to go come FA but they will be trying to get the deal done right up until he signs elsewhere. Saying he is likely going to FA if he doesn't sign the week after the finals is pure speculation, history says otherwise.
If LeBrun believes it, so do I as he's fairly plugged in. Your history consists of two players under totally different circumstances. Both players in US markets that the player wanted to stay all and it was only a matter of agreeing on the money. Neither of those players had the angle of families being on the opposite coast. If it's all about money the Flames will probably get the deal done I expect after the SCF (I'm still holding out hope this happens). If it's about more than that then he's probably heading east. Time will tell and we will find out one way or another in the coming weeks.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:13 PM   #3808
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I imagine by now that Flames have a good idea how this will turn out. If Gaudreau’s camp not saying much and you’re just in pitch mode, quite a bit less like he stays. Hopefully there is some back and forth happening.
This was posted today but I’m not sure if it’s legit as the video of Dreger posted above makes no such statement (and it’s Lebrun, not Dreger talking about Johnny):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539360064523251713

But I agree “back and forth” is an encouraging sign that at least they’re talking and it’s not radio silence from Gaudreau’s camp.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #3809
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is nonsense. There was plenty of ongoing uncertainty about whethe4 either Stamkos or Landeskog would come to terms with their teams.

Yeah by the media, their job is to make up noise.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:28 PM   #3810
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzman View Post
Don’t kid yourself there are back channels that agents use.
Show your work.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #3811
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is how it was for Landeskog days before he signed. And don’t forget the Avs didn’t protect him in expansion:

https://thehockeywriters.com/avalanc...n-free-agency/

https://thehockeynews.com/news/where...landeskog-land
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #3812
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Moved on ? The window for an 8 year deal expires when FA starts

So how will the Flames have moved on before the FA has started from JG?

Sure once FA starts they may move on and go for replacement FAs but before ? No chance
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #3813
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This is how it was for Landeskog days before he signed. And don’t forget the Avs didn’t protect him in expansion:

https://thehockeywriters.com/avalanc...n-free-agency/

https://thehockeynews.com/news/where...landeskog-land
No, no. Everyone KNEW Landeskog would re-sign. Media hype!

Quote:
Old 06-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #3814
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
This was posted today but I’m not sure if it’s legit as the video of Dreger posted above makes no such statement (and it’s Lebrun, not Dreger talking about Johnny):

https://twitter.com/user/status/1539360064523251713

But I agree “back and forth” is an encouraging sign that at least they’re talking and it’s not radio silence from Gaudreau’s camp.
I’d love to know if Gaudreau’s camp has put a formal counteroffer on the table. I’m betting they haven’t.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:19 PM   #3815
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wrong thread, Go Flames Go!
NOISIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:25 PM   #3816
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’d love to know if Gaudreau’s camp has put a formal counteroffer on the table. I’m betting they haven’t.
I'd love to know anything, but here we are.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #3817
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If LeBrun believes it, so do I as he's fairly plugged in. Your history consists of two players under totally different circumstances. Both players in US markets that the player wanted to stay all and it was only a matter of agreeing on the money. Neither of those players had the angle of families being on the opposite coast. If it's all about money the Flames will probably get the deal done I expect after the SCF (I'm still holding out hope this happens). If it's about more than that then he's probably heading east. Time will tell and we will find out one way or another in the coming weeks.
So then are we taking the narrative that Johnny Gaudreau is a liar? He has certainly said he loves it here, his family loves it here, his wife loves it here, and he would like to stay. He has said this more times than I ever heard either Landeskog or Stamkos say that. I never heard LeBrun say Gaudreau wanted to go back East, just that could be a reason he doesn't stay. I find it interesting that Eric Francis used that as a reason he would leave for years and everybody bought into it. I mean how many players play far away from where they grew up? The majority of them. I am not buying this whole Johnny wants to be back East because he got put on the spot years ago on a Philly radio that it would be sweet to play for the Flyers one day. Gaudreau has grown up a lot since then, he has a new wife and an established life in Calgary now. Another thing to bare in mind, I can't remember who said it but someone in the media did say Gaudreau cares about records and legacy a lot. I just don't see any way he walks, I won't be sweating it until it is announced he is signed elsewhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 10:34 PM   #3818
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Moved on ? The window for an 8 year deal expires when FA starts

So how will the Flames have moved on before the FA has started from JG?

Sure once FA starts they may move on and go for replacement FAs but before ? No chance
No chance? So you have knowledge of the Flames intentions? I'm going with what LeBrun has been saying and he's saying the Flames want to know before the 13th. Maybe he's wrong or maybe he's right but he's more plugged in than anyone in this thread. Time will tell.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:36 PM   #3819
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So then are we taking the narrative that Johnny Gaudreau is a liar? He has certainly said he loves it here, his family loves it here, his wife loves it here, and he would like to stay. He has said this more times than I ever heard either Landeskog or Stamkos say that. I never heard LeBrun say Gaudreau wanted to go back East, just that could be a reason he doesn't stay. I find it interesting that Eric Francis used that as a reason he would leave for years and everybody bought into it. I mean how many players play far away from where they grew up? The majority of them. I am not buying this whole Johnny wants to be back East because he got put on the spot years ago on a Philly radio that it would be sweet to play for the Flyers one day. Gaudreau has grown up a lot since then, he has a new wife and an established life in Calgary now. Another thing to bare in mind, I can't remember who said it but someone in the media did say Gaudreau cares about records and legacy a lot. I just don't see any way he walks, I won't be sweating it until it is announced he is signed elsewhere.
No that's only you. I certainly hope that if he signs elsewhere you don't sulk and call him a liar. He can love it here and still decides he loves it closer to home more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2022, 10:39 PM   #3820
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No that's only you. I certainly hope that if he signs elsewhere you don't sulk and call him a liar. He can love it here and still decides he loves it closer to home more.
No, that was what you said. You said this was different because Landeskog and Stamkos wanted to stay in their markets. You took the approach that Gaudreau doesn't. I mean it is right there for everybody to read man.

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win