Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 08:00 AM   #241
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine arguing this so vociferously without knowing that Vegas just acquired a player currently on LTIR for the obvious purpose of using him in the POs only.

EDIT: I'm the idiot - he's only on LTR I think.

Last edited by GioforPM; 03-14-2024 at 09:35 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:10 AM   #242
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Imagine arguing this so vociferously without knowing that Vegas just acquired a player currently on LTIR for the obvious purpose of using him in the POs only.
Hertl?

He will be back before the playoffs.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:18 AM   #243
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Hertl?

He will be back before the playoffs.
At the time of his surgery the Sharks said he'd probably miss the rest of the regular season. He now says he hopes to be skating in two weeks (not game ready or even in practice, just "on the ice"). Let's say he then takes another week or so to be game ready. That leaves about one week of games in the season. You think the Knights are messing with the cap to rush him into the lineup for 4 games or so?

Macrimmon talked about brining him back in March. We'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 08:29 AM   #244
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The biggies are Marchessault, Martinez, Mantha, and Stephenson. As things stand, they have $9.7 million in cap space next year with 15 players signed. It's going to be very difficult for them to replace those guys with equivalent players.
Hanafin also. Karlsson the year after? I mean they could be in rough shape but it won't be just yet. They definitely aren't scared to ship guys out either. Ood news is they will.probably be struggling when Calgary gets their #### together again.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:32 AM   #245
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Hanafin also. Karlsson the year after? I mean they could be in rough shape but it won't be just yet. They definitely aren't scared to ship guys out either. Ood news is they will.probably be struggling when Calgary gets their #### together again.
They will have to pay Hill a bunch as well. Or get an ECHL goalie.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:35 AM   #246
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They will have to pay Hill a bunch as well. Or get an ECHL goalie.
Didn't he sign a 4 year deal ?
Old 03-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #247
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Didn't he sign a 4 year deal ?
No - 2 year deal at $4.9M expiring at the end of 24-25. Both he and Logan Thompson are UFAs after that season.

Note: CF has Hertl on IR, not LTIR, so maybe they aren't using him in an "offside" way. If so, I'm the dumb one.

Last edited by GioforPM; 03-14-2024 at 08:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 12:55 PM   #248
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

So all this complaining is about a guy Vegas acquired on LTR - so he is actually currently being counted towards the salary cap (Hertl), and a guy on LTIR with a ruptured spleen?

ha wow
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 01:08 PM   #249
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
So all this complaining is about a guy Vegas acquired on LTR - so he is actually currently being counted towards the salary cap (Hertl), and a guy on LTIR with a ruptured spleen?

ha wow
There is just a lot of hate to Vegas and it is not founded. They also have to deal with "they were gifted a team" which everyone actually thought they would be ####ty and wrote them off. Again a little bit of Jealousy.

Hating the Patriots, now there is a team that actually cheats. I'd understand that!
Old 03-14-2024, 01:18 PM   #250
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

EDIT: I'm the idiot - he's only on LTR I think.
Thanks for Confirming, I didn't think he was on LTIR, hence my confusion, but it also was late and I was too lazy to look it up myself.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:35 PM   #251
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

ha wow
No, not really - it's about the system for me, not Vegas or TB in particular. It's open for abuse and therefore I'm all for something to make it better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 01:53 PM   #252
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, not really - it's about the system for me, not Vegas or TB in particular. It's open for abuse and therefore I'm all for something to make it better.
Yep, the whole point of LTIR was so that teams didn't find themselves in the same position the Flames were where they couldn't ice a full lineup because they had so many injuries.

What teams like Vegas and Tampa Bay are doing are within the rules because the league didn't think hard enough to make the salary cap all season long but they're definitely abusing it and not using it for it's true intention which is pretty slimy. So like other rules the league needs to modify it so that it's being used the way it was meant to be.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 02:20 PM   #253
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying it shouldn't be changed... I'm just saying until they do change it, they are not doing anything wrong. "Cheating" or doing something wrong is different than doing something people don't like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 03:16 PM   #254
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I'm not saying it shouldn't be changed... I'm just saying until they do change it, they are not doing anything wrong. "Cheating" or doing something wrong is different than doing something people don't like.
They are also spending assets like crazy to do it. Their dark days will inevitably come.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 03:24 PM   #255
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
They are also spending assets like crazy to do it. Their dark days will inevitably come.
Hopefully they start in 2026 draft year!
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GFG#1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2024, 04:09 PM   #256
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's not forget that Vegas did acquire a franchise player on LTIR, and when he was ready to play, several other players, whose cap hit along with other players already on LTIR exactly matched the cap hit of the player returning, suddenly went on LTIR even though they were playing up to the game before he returned and were not witnessed to have any obvious injuries during that game. Can't prove that it's cheating, but it sure as hell looks like cheating. So if we rewrite the rules to prevent cheating, then at least in the future we can avoid the appearance of cheating.

Last edited by Macindoc; 03-14-2024 at 04:12 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:18 PM   #257
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
No idea. FanIn80 reported that there are 14 teams over the cap. So it only counts as cheating if they traded for someone at the deadline?
Don't be an ass.

I said there are 14 over the cap, but 10 are at least within the 80s (ie. reasonably close to the 83.5 cap).

Then I mentioned the 4 teams in the 90s. One is close to 99 million and was over 100M last season (Toronto), another one is at 93M and getting a 7M player back for the playoffs (Landeskog), another one is at 92M and getting an 8M player back for the playoffs (Sergachev), and the last one used their "long term injury relief" to acquire another injured player (Hertl) after already doing this two years ago to get Eichel.

I also noted that these same 4 teams (TOR, TBL, COL, VGK) are at or near the top of the cap-overage list every season, which seems odd to me.

At any rate, it was very clear which teams I had a problem with.... so it seems to me like you're either being purposefully obtuse for attention, or just plain incapable of comprehension. My impression waivers back and forth from post to post.

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-14-2024 at 04:21 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: