Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #421
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
So, the Full Self-Driving option is going up $1300 on July 1, and Tesla was offering end of quarter incentives of one-year free supercharging. This plus my susceptibility to impulse buying has made me a new ignorant Tesla owner.

I will need to run a charging cable about 15m/50ft across my back yard. I am thinking of just getting an outdoor NEMA 15-40 outlet installed instead of the tesla wall charger. Has anyone done the same? Or should I get the wall charger and some sort of extension cord for it that Tesla doesnt seem to sell?
All we've ever used was a 50amp plug. We've never needed anything more at home. We've had the car for 4 years
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #422
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla now the most valuable car manufacturer on the planet.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/tesl...ket-value.html
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #423
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand the stock market at all.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #424
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

I don't understand the stock market at all.
The Model Y rollout was a disaster with people refusing delivery and complaints all around regarding poor build quality. Normally a botched model rollout results in stock prices dipping. For Tesla the exact opposite occurs. You could conclude that the worse the quality of vehicles you build the higher the stock prices. Truthfully it reflects the hype as the Tesla fanboys are incredibly vocal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #425
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Model Y rollout was a disaster with people refusing delivery and complaints all around regarding poor build quality. Normally a botched model rollout results in stock prices dipping. For Tesla the exact opposite occurs. You could conclude that the worse the quality of vehicles you build the higher the stock prices. Truthfully it reflects the hype as the Tesla fanboys are incredibly vocal.
I think your post exemplifies the thinking of people who don't understand the Tesla valuation, and are quick to dismiss it all as simple Tesla fanboy hype while choosing to remain confused and/or shorting the stock.

The "poor build quality" is overstated and taken out of practical context, especially in terms of actual car drive-ability. The overwhelming majority of the complaints are cosmetic (paint, gaps), annoyances (squeaks), complexity (too much tech for grandpa) or underwhelming dealership experience (very non-traditional and limited). But these are nothing that actually leaves the car broken down on the side of the road, stuck at the mechanic for weeks, requires an overbearing maintenance schedule, or compromises safety. The actual driving experience is fun and highly reliable, which is what counts the most at the end of the day. In my opinion this is actually in contradistinction to it's luxury segment counterparts like BMW and Land rover. I'll take an extra 3mm of rear panel gap on my Tesla over my former M5 which was literally in the shop every couple of months.

No question that TSLA valuation is partially buoyed by the intangible Elon mystique, and does not conform to traditional valuation metrics. However, at the end of the day the cars are still a great product based on what actually matters, and it's the undisputed king of the EV segment which is so hot right now and growing exponentially into the future. You also need to see past just the cars, and recognize the other potential standalone product$ like the batteries and charging technology, and cross over from SpaceX.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #426
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
I think your post exemplifies the thinking of people who don't understand the Tesla valuation, and are quick to dismiss it all as simple Tesla fanboy hype while choosing to remain confused and/or shorting the stock.

The "poor build quality" is overstated and taken out of practical context, especially in terms of actual car drive-ability. The overwhelming majority of the complaints are cosmetic (paint, gaps), annoyances (squeaks), complexity (too much tech for grandpa) or underwhelming dealership experience (very non-traditional and limited). But these are nothing that actually leaves the car broken down on the side of the road, stuck at the mechanic for weeks, requires an overbearing maintenance schedule, or compromises safety. The actual driving experience is fun and highly reliable, which is what counts the most at the end of the day. In my opinion this is actually in contradistinction to it's luxury segment counterparts like BMW and Land rover. I'll take an extra 3mm of rear panel gap on my Tesla over my former M5 which was literally in the shop every couple of months.

No question that TSLA valuation is partially buoyed by the intangible Elon mystique, and does not conform to traditional valuation metrics. However, at the end of the day the cars are still a great product based on what actually matters, and it's the undisputed king of the EV segment which is so hot right now and growing exponentially into the future. You also need to see past just the cars, and recognize the other potential standalone product$ like the batteries and charging technology, and cross over from SpaceX.
That was exactly my point. Thank you.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #427
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was it? You used the confusion emoji, facetiously concluded that poor build quality equates to high stock price, and then superficially explained it all as yelling fanboys.

The answer is more complicated and deeper than all Elon = Stonks!

Perhaps this was all in jest. Anyways, you gonna buy some stock now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #428
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
EV segment which is so hot right now and growing exponentially into the future.
It's not though, US sales are stagnant and China has seen 11 straight months of double-digit YoY declines. EV sales remain heavily dependent on government subsidies.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #429
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was referring to industry investment, not sales.

The government subsidies are in place because it's a nascent industry. That doesn't necessarily dissuade investment interest, and could actually increase it.

Ignoring the COVID bomb, most related ETFs have shown growth over the last year.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #430
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's been about a year since I got my Tesla M3+.

I figured I would give a one year update for those curious:
  • Despite not being a 'car guy', I'll never get tired of driving this thing. It's not just the speed, it's how the technology integrates and how little you have to do to maintain the vehicle.
  • This is only vehicle I've ever owned where through the use of technology, new features are constantly added to make your car better over time.
  • First winter: At -30C, you lose a good 40% of your battery for sure. Still, this is equivalent to about 220-250km. I drove to Banff for a day trip (during winter @ -30) and this wasn't an issue. Stopped to charge in Canmore (20 mins?) and at Banff Springs while there. Probably didn't need to stop in Canmore but I needed to pee. From a city driving standpoint, I was never in a situation where I thought I would run out. Car handled well with winter tires.
  • I had three instances where I needed service. The first was my windhshield flap thing (the inside one with the mirror above your head) came off. The second was Tesla sending free mudflaps which I had them install. The third was the radio tuner not working and they came to my house to fix it. All of this was covered and booked through the app. None of these were close to major issues, IMO.
  • Poor build quality? If it exists, I've not seen it nor have heard any other Tesla owner complain about it. However, seeing as there's been about a bajillion of these things sold in the last 24 or so months I would imagine that there would be some that slip through the cracks. Like any other vehicle.
  • The Elon Musk fanboy narrative is tired. Suspect human being; makes an amazing car. That's pretty much about it. A lot of the negative news about the car(s) itself out there seems to be amplified, but in reality are outliers. If you don't like Teslas, don't buy one. If you have doubts, go test drive one.
  • My electricity consumption has EASILY doubled. This is about $20-$40 per month.
  • I no longer feel the need for a gas-powered vehicle. The next secondary vehicle we purchase (which will be a long ways away) will likely be an EV. I am very curious to see how other manufacturers adapt as they are a good 5+ years behind (this is according to the VW... or was it Audi... CEO).
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #431
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
EV sales remain heavily dependent on government subsidies.
Last I checked Tesla no longer qualifies for a tax rebate. This is in the U.S. don't know about Canada.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #432
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla valuation is probably related to the battery tech and IP. Buying cars will be gone in less than a generation.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #433
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Last I checked Tesla no longer qualifies for a tax rebate. This is in the U.S. don't know about Canada.
Which is why sales have stagnated in the US.

Last edited by accord1999; 07-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #434
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Which is why sales have stagnated in the US.
Tesla Q2 is down 5% YoY, a stellar result considering their plant was shut down for weeks. Also compare that to other auto makers.

You live in an alternative stats world I think.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #435
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Tesla Q2 is down 5% YoY, a stellar result considering their plant was shut down for weeks. Also compare that to other auto makers.
I'm talking about US market sales. Q2 was buoyed by pent-up China sales, but how long will that last for given that the Chinese NEV market has been shrinking.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #436
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm talking about US market sales. Q2 was buoyed by pent-up China sales, but how long will that last for given that the Chinese NEV market has been shrinking.
You tell me. Predict Q3 sales.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #437
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada still has an EV rebate:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/roa...v-program.html
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #438
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Wait what? I thought only Ontario had rebates, those are for all of Canada?!
Old 07-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #439
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes no sense for the environmental benefits to offer rebates in Alberta. Electric vehicles basically have the same carbon footprint as gas here, so why rebate? In Quebec where they have mostly hydro it at least makes sense. But so much around the environmental movement isn't logical.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #440
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It makes no sense for the environmental benefits to offer rebates in Alberta. Electric vehicles basically have the same carbon footprint as gas here, so why rebate? In Quebec where they have mostly hydro it at least makes sense. But so much around the environmental movement isn't logical.
There's a federal rebate (above), and there are provincial rebates. Alberta does not offer a provincial rebate, but anyone in Canada is eligible for the federal rebate.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/incentives
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: